What is your Grand Parent's pastime?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by shel_28, Mar 4, 2010.

1. shel_28

shel_28 Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

Some two years back my Grandmother’s favorite pastime was embroidery. Now at the age of 65, after an eye surgery her pastime is gardening. Every morning and evening, she’ll be in the garden without fail. I always accompany her. For e.g., if she wants to dig a hole to plant any saplings, I do it for her.

Share your Grand parents pastime here. :)

2. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello Shel,
    its great to know that you help your grand mom with gardening!!!:thumbsup
    My grand father's hobby is painting and gardening. My grand mother's hobby is just watching serials !!!

3. shel_28

shel_28 Silver IL'ite

Dear Custard,

Thank you for your first FB. :)

4. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

Both my grandpa [78yrs] and grandma [73yrs] are very active even today.

Now my grandpa will be watching TV or reading Newspaper. His favourite past time is discussing politics. My grandma is good at cooking, she reads lot of tamil books [she is a tamil teacher] and writes small small poems. She will do embroidery too. She is a great lady with lot of patience.

I don't know whether I will be like this in their ages. :wink:

5. Arunadhri

Arunadhri Bronze IL'ite

I was thinking of my grand parents' pass time, when I suddenly realized that I am a grand pa myself and that I will be 71 by end April.

I guess I have to write about my own pass time.

Since I work full time as a scientist I do not have much free time. We have a large garden. I spend two hours from sunrise watering, weeding and pruning. Then it is time for some yoga (I do this from my sixth year when my mother started me on yoga).
    9-30am to 6 pm Work.
    As soon as I am back, change and dash off to the garden. I am also into Bonsai and Orchid growing. After sun set it is time for a walk ( sneak in sloka chanting while walking). Back from walk ten minutes for aerobic exercises followed by a short spell of pranayama and meditation.
    After dinner it is dinner time for the five or six stray dogs, for which I cook food separately.

Am a photographer of the old school with roll films and enlargers. I am trained in dark room work with scientific photography also. (Now sadly obsolete) Trying my hand with the digital camera whenever I find time.

A short pooja for the welfare of children and the really grand grand-daughter.
    After dinner Carnatic and Hidustani classical music courtesy Bangalore AIR FM.
    A bit of multi-tasking by catching up on technical and philosophical reading with music on.
    Finally about 30 minutes on the internet and off to sleep.

One advantage of old age is you need less sleep.

I stopped seeing movies decades back. Completely stopped seeing TV about five years back. Just cannot afford the time.

6. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Wow! If only I could be 1/2 as active at my age, 28. Kudos to you :)

Of 4 grandparents, only my grandmother is alive. Her favorite pastime is to listen to carnatic music and write in her diary. It is so amazing that she records every little detail in her diary, right from what was cooked for the day to who visited and when they left! What's even more amazing is how she remembers every grandchild's birthday and has at least a line of prayer for everyone in her diary every now and then :bowdown

7. Arunadhri

Arunadhri Bronze IL'ite

That kind of activity can stave off dementia. My mother in law (83) stays with us, since her sons are all abroad.
    She is totally deaf and refuses to wear any hearing aid. We bought her every kind, spending pots of money. Lack of mental activity leads to (sometimes hilarious) gaffes.

She will tell me that she has been seeing me from her daughter's wedding 40 years back.
    Occasionally she tells my wife that she is my mil's aunt's daughter.
    My sister came on a visit. My mil introduced her to me as her second daughter's sister in law. Curiously she remembered that she is a Tamil.
    She asked my wife 'who is the white haired man going around in shorts?' (Myself going to work in the garden)

Thank your stars for an active grandma!

8. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Arunadhri Sir

What you are saying is so true. I have in my own family another person who suffers from dementia and it is indeed sad to see them now, especially when you have seen better times with them in the past.

I guess we do need to give more credit to my paati for keeping herself mentally active than she gets :) Also, it is just too amazing that she remembers every son/ daughter/ sil/ dil/ grandchild's nakshatram etc. and this is not only of her immediate family, but even of her extended family, like my thatha's siblings' children!

She is severely restricted by health to do a lot of physical activity, but she still manages to do what little she can, spending whatever little strength she can muster up, like folding clothes etc.

Thank you shel for starting this beautiful thread! This brings up so many sweet memories I have of my grandparents :)

9. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

Arun sir you're simply hillarious :rotfl.

Of my 5 grandparents, 4 have a favourite past time of shining up & twinkling when dawn falls & ask me to cheer up whenever am low.
    I was lucky enough to have seen 3 of them in person.

My dad's 2nd mom is too young at heart even at 86+ her favourite activity is to go through travel magazines, take the first flight to amsterdam and reach my uncle or go on world tour with my aunt. She loves to try all my spaghetti / see thru tops and gave me quick tips on how to spice up my courtship phase & married life :crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. ArchanaP

ArchanaP Silver IL'ite

My grandpas on both side passed away when I was little.

My paternal grandmother was good at painting and reading. She loves to read and reading books was her past time. She is now 96 and passes her time literally in her bed all the time.

My maternal grandmother [85] was pretty much the grand kids (my uncle's children). That was her past time. Now she passes her time with her friends in temple or chitchatting.

Mr.Arunadhri,

I am at work, reading your post. I am trying hard enough not to laugh aloud.It is hilarious :rotfl. Thanks to you and your MIL for making me laugh. God bless your family.