1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

What is your daily routine for home cleaning? (No maid in india)

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by mehtaradhikam, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Pia2016

Pia2016 New IL'ite

I am a busy working woman as well. I do all the housekeeping by myself, with little inputs from DH when hes in good mood. I am not against keeping maids,but I dont need one now. Might hire one when we buy our own home in India and settle back there during my retirement years. For instance, my mom who retired recently, she calls in a maid twice every week for 3 -4 hours per day to deep clean our two storey house. She makes sure she accompanies the maid to all corners of the house and get it done the way she wants. Rest of the days , she just brushes the house and keep things orderly.

As of now, its just me and DH. I think I am more messy than him, some tired days I go to sleep and my house looks a tornado just hit from the days busy schedule. But then I clear up everything the next day morning before work - I cant stand a messy house either. This is how I maintain a clean enough house without pushing myself too hard:

1. Discarding or donating stuff we don't need. Some gifts,books,souvenirs go into a cardboard because kept away neatly for future use - maybe when we get a bigger home. Right now, I have enough stuff!
    2. Keeping a clean sink before work or bedtime. I clean the utensils I use as I cook - if it takes a minute , I do it. I hate doing the dishes to be frank. I wipe the kitchen counters and brush the floors while food is cooking on stove so that I finish all at once.
    3. 10 minute speed cleaning - before work, I just go around our home and put things in order. I sweep the floors every two days or if it looks dirty, spot clean with a wet towel for stains/spills on the floor, arrange the living room, put away used clothes in the laundry bag or load the washing machine, get the clothes from outside and fold them etc. All this while I wait for the rice to cook in pressure cooker. Mopping is for the weekend or once in a week as I spot clean regularly.
    4. I clean the bathroom before bath time every alternate day. On days I need to rush, I just clean the washbasin/toilet, other days for the floor/bathtub and once in a month on a weekend day, the walls.
    5. There will always be one weekend in a month when I gear up to deep clean the house. That day I dont cook - I don't want to get tired for work the next day.

Dont be hard on yourself. Enjoy the important things in your life - a clean house is only a part of your happiness.

Bubbles likes this.
  2. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

haha I agree with the tornado thing. At my home, it happens more often than not. Mostly I get too lazy to get up after work just for cleaning. If I cook meals, keep the kitchen under control and have a good bed to sleep on at the end of the day, that's enough for me. Recently, my Rheumatoid Arthritis has getting worse. So I am going easy on myself when it comes to keeping up the house.

1. Donating/ selling or just throwing the unused stuff has worked beautifully. Less stuff means less organizing, easy cleaning, better kept house

2. delegating also worked. Laundry is done once a week- DH takes care of it
    bathroom cleaning- shared in between both of us. when in laws visit, they also pitch in

3. kitchen takes the most of my time. So I use lot of appliances and easy food prep tools. My arthritis limits my ability to work non stop. So i take breaks in between cooking. Every break, I come to living room, pick up the room.

4. No house cleaning on Sunday. Sunday is fun day. Days are dedicated to chores.
    Sundays- Fun days
    Saturdays- Laundry and bathroom cleaning
    Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays- light picking up, light cooking, light vacuuming Wednesday- bathroom cleaning
    Tuesdays, Thursdays- heavy cooking, nothing else
    once a month- sometimes once in two month- carpet shampooing, deep clean- again shared responsibility

Sweety82 likes this.
  3. Sweety82

Sweety82 Gold IL'ite

I had a maid, who knocked doors(when we were new, and when she was asking for job) and said, "i would like to work in your house, even i will clean bathrooms". Then i was thinking twice. but i was sure that she was working in our apartment premises only, so i gave her a chance. Initially when i called her for bathroom cleaning to see how she works, she did a very good job. so i allowed her inside. after joining, i could see her chitchatting over phone for a long time in varanda, and after that only she will start doing the job. and she also told since i wanted her to come in evenings, she told me to call everyday to remind her otherwise she will start sleeping in the evenings in her house. I was working at that time. so i used to give a missed call. after she comes, while talking over her mobile, it looked like the other person over phone asked her to note down something. so she directly went to our bedroom took a pen from our penstand and started writing in the papers there. i got terribly irritated by this action. then she used to comment "why u have kept this room like this. why u r keeping old clothes for cleaning kitchen. throw away". then a time came to clean the bathrooms, after she cleaned i checked , she didnt clean washbasins(she cleaned washbasins during her first time as per our agreement. so i told her "pls clean the washbasins, u hv not cleaned". for that she said "madam, why r u telling me to clean the wash basins. how can i do that also? what is this?" again i got irritated. while mopping the floor she will do the job having her clothes(saree tied for convenience) tied up towards her thighs. then she used to say "dont have sex when u r pregnant".oooooooooooooops! this was the limit. my husband got irritated by noting her behaviour and shouted at me to stop her (he shouted - aruvaruppa irukku. antha saniyana eppothaan niruththa pora). The next day i stopped her. she told why i stopped her. i told the reason that "we have a plan to move". The same way i think she behaved in all other houses, so everybody stopped her after a while. now, she is working in one house only. she used to threaten "when u stop me, i will cut my hand veins and die". Thank god i stopped her.. nowadays, i am the person cleaning. and we both r comfortable on our own way.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  4. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

I have maid. Also I stay at home(housewife). Still can't keep my home clean. All because of my little kids who r of 2+ and 3+ years. I give them food they want to eat on their own. Then after sometime I find the whole room full with the meal. I sweep floor then the elder one start cutting the paper and fill the floor again. I clean that then by that time they get something else to keep house dirty. At night when I am busy with cleaning kitchen they take all their toys and throw them everywhere. Then after completing everything somehow I go to my room they mostly take out the bedsheets also sometimes pour the milk on bed etc etc. They are just few of the incidents. I don't know how daily I manage to sleep with them. Even after giving lots of time to cleaning my house never looks clean. :D