What is the significance of lighting lemon/lime deepams?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by Hema27, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Hema27

Hema27 New IL'ite

At the usual temple I visit, the priest asked me to light 2 lemon lamps in front of Deity Durga on every Tuesdays for 9 weeks continuously. I know that some people do it for ragu kaalam, but he didn't say anything about that.
    I have been doing it for 8 weeks in a row and my 9th week is coming up.
    I'm really happy that without any disturbances I manged to light lemon lamps for 9 weeks, or else if there was any disturbance in the middle you would have to start all over again.

I didn't ask the priest to give me a proper explanation regarding this, he said its good to do this for Durga for 9 weeks.
    Has anyone did this for 9 weeks? what is the significance behind lighting lemon lamps for Durga for 9 weeks (on Tuesdays).

2. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi Hema,

U can mostly see that Goddess Durga wears a Lemon garland..she is also called as Ugra Devi and hence for cooling her and to get her blessings,we put lemon garland and also light the lamp with lemon...
    I think this is reason to light lemon vilakku and also to give lemon garlands to durga..
    I have also made the lemon garland and gave to Godess for 8 or 9 continuous weeks and that too there was some particular number of lemons that need to be used to make the garland...and yes i was able to see the difference...there was great benefit

i got this from internet...hope this is useful

ராகுவின் அதிதேவதையாக காளி விளங்குவதால், செவ்வாய், வெள்ளி, ஞாயிற்றுக்கிழமைகளில் ராகு காலத்தில் எலுமிச்சை விளக்கு ஏற்றி திருமணத்தடை விலக கன்னியர்கள், வாலிபர்கள் வேண்டுகின்றனர்

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  3. Hema27

Hema27 New IL'ite

that sounds very helpful,

but everyone says its mostly for Ragu, but I don't know if I have dat problem or not. I haven't checked my astrology yet. But randomly I'm putting lemon theepam for Durga at the Temple.

Since today is my last week, I'm happy that I made it without any thadangal (distruption). And I'm hoping for some relief in my life, since I have been through a lot for the past 9 months.

Thanks.

4. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

hope all ur worries end soon
    All the best

5. Pushhu

Pushhu Senior IL'ite

Can we do this on Friday's????

Can you tell the processe how ur ligthing , r u giving this harathi to the godess.. or lightning and keeping in front of godess?

6. mrunalini01

mrunalini01 Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

As per tradition, it signifies Rahu dosh Shanti. People who are suffering from Rahu dosh advised to lighten lemon deepam at rahu kaal on the particular days. They are inversely lighted and kept infront of God and observe till the rahu kaal time is over. There is also Mantra to chant certain number of times during this.

7. Pushhu

Pushhu Senior IL'ite