1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

what is the right age to stop breastfeeding?

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by Rachna, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Rachna

Rachna Gold IL'ite

hi, my lo is 18 months old. i am confused when to stop her breastfeeding. till what age do you have BFed your baby? till what age it is good to feed your baby...some say 1 yr, some 2, some 3 yr

2 people like this.

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

The world health organisation recommends that children be breastfed till they are 2 years old. That apart it depends completely on your and your child's preferences, nutritional needs and availability of milk.

3 people like this.
  3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I BFed DD till she was 22 months old.

1 person likes this.
  4. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

As long as you feel comfortable. My ds is also 18 months, I'm still breastfeeding and probably would do for at least another 6 month.

1 person likes this.
  5. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Mine never wanted to get weaned off.. I really had very hard time .
    completely stopped once DD completed 3 years (but she still ask me).

1 person likes this.
  6. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Dear Friends,

So happy to read all your experience on BF. Because mine was so complicated when i started BF, if you see my first thread you all can guess what happened to me.

Still i have the feel of guilt in my mind when it comes to BF. After i had my personal experience i suggested my friends and close relatives about the necessary precaution of informing their doctors about the importance/preference they have with BF. But still many of them faced the similar kind of issues after delivery. Believe me, many doctors here does not even take care on BF part after delivery. This is true here!

But from you people i need some lights on BF saying what are the steps you took to stress importance on BF with your doctor? have you informed them before hand? have you take any steps to increase your supply? or it was all natural process? did anyone faces any issues and overcome the situation? can you pls share the experience which may help people suffering from these.....

Thanks friends.....

7. anuram09

anuram09 IL Hall of Fame

With respect to my experience here Drs don't care about BF issues. I had supply issues from 4.5 months. One day all of a sudden my supply hit the lowest and my dd refused formula and kept crying for 3 hours. I took lactare granules and it helped me a little. I relied on home remedies tried various things and managed to feed till her 1 st birthday. No dr gave suggestion or consultation for this.

1 person likes this.
  8. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Me and Dd mutually stopped our BF sessions at 15 months without hassle, medication or any pain.

We had indicated to our hospital and doc, nurse about Bf preference before delivery..When there was less supply on the first few days, and a kind of no confidence in me. My doc gave me quite good support, lots of advice and encouragement that 'I can do this'

Not to forget the many friends who supported and helped me to settle down with BF sessions .. Everyone around were quite encouraging to Bf and it just came with the flow.. Successfully done!

1 person likes this.
  9. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

One year only after that the baby can't get any strength from breast milk.

pl. stop feeding.

10. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

My doctor was very supporting in all aspects including BF. She guided and help me till I was in hospital and was inquiring every time during visit. Luckily, i never had any problem in supply even should say I was fed up with overflow.

My SIL had supply problem which was not enough for twin kids. Her doctor helped in that aspects though she never prescribed any medicine but was suggesting remedies.
    Few remedies were - soaked fenugreek seeds , raw garlic, drinking milk and raw papaya curry. These helped my SIL alot.

1 person likes this.