1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What is the real meaning of marriage?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by kcb, Feb 7, 2016.

1. vani098

vani098 IL Hall of Fame

The real meaning of marriage is a bond of two people which is single life. We need to share, live, love, understand, care, trust, bond, adjustment....Etc. Living in a way that he in kids are her life, heart. If misunderstandings r any fought clear now n then . sit n talk make it clear n live a happy married life.

But there is no meaning of marriage when two people live under same roof but living differently. Becoz of misunderstanding.

Know the meaning of relationship. Y r u marrying.

2. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

There are as many different definitions of marriage as there are human beings on earth. All of them can work, there is no right or wrong. Problems arise only when the partners have two different definitions of their relationship and neither is willing to compromise.

Engaging in petty power play is very destructive. It hurts all the people and relationships involved. Nobody wins.

3. DivyaVignesh01

DivyaVignesh01 New IL'ite

Hi,

My perception towards the so called meaning of marriage was different before and after marriage.

Before marriage , I was told that marriage means compromises, adjustments, answering to the needs of your family with high priority, bond between 2 individuals and family, love your in-laws though u hate them by heart, etc.

Today after 1.5 yrs of married life, my DH changed my perception towards married life. I'm taught that married life is a love bond between two souls without losing ones privacy, freedom, individuality and self respect - rest will automatically fall in place.

Thanks,
    Divya

GeetaKashyap, KashmirFlower and kcb like this.
  4. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

I understand the real meaning of marriage after living through few decades. But, I didn't have that knowledge when I got (rather pushed) into marriage . Like many girls, I assumed it was my ticket to explore the world. The reality was way different with so many constraints, watchful eyes of relatives, social pressure, financial burden, raising kid and career. I built my life - trial and error by learning from my friends network. I started to enjoy life as I wished after my kid went to college, by then I am already in my 40's.

My concern is about the present: The younger generation is not ready for commitment (marriage), looking for A+ in everything/not ready to compromise. They continue to remain single well into their 30's even after well settled in their career. Part of their youth is lost in chasing the unknown and buying more more gadgets to fill that void.

Now, average marriage year seems to be 32-35. So, the next generation is already a decade behind to start the family. The middle age became 50, retirement age is 65 and we can live well independently into mid 70s.

Which one is a better choice, starting life in 20s (previous generation) or mid 30's (present)?

3 people like this.
  5. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Well said....

1 person likes this.
  6. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

To me, marriage is two people coming together to build a life together. In a family there are many people but in a marriage, there should be just two- the husband and wife. Any time there are more than two people in a marriage- parents, PIL, SIL, BIL etc- there are bound to be problems. If the couple have differences, they should keep it to themselves and find ways to resolve them. Husband and wife should put each other first if they have to strengthen their marriage. If a couple have a strong marriage, the bonds within family grows stronger.

I don't believe there are anyone can call any marriage perfect because no individual is perfect. The imperfections- the up and downs, the tears and laughter, the good days and bad- all make up what we call a lifetime. If everyday is the same, life would be pretty boring. I would take the imperfect marriage as long as there is love and commitment in it.

7. Jazmine83

Jazmine83 Gold IL'ite

marriage is nothing but a socially acceptable way to pass on people's genes through generations

Thyagarajan and nandita24 like this.
  8. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

I think it is not chasing the "unknown" but rather I called it finding "myself".......see that sounds better :). Personally I don't think of it as lost youth as I think most people look and feel better even in their 60's these days. Life expectancy is longer so why not enjoy what life has to offer by putting the responsibilities of marriage of a little while longer is the thought.

I think it is hard to say what is better choice because it depends on the individual. More importantly, the best choice (in my opinion) is to marry someone who is the right one for you. Before my marriage, I was of the opinion I would rather be single than marry just anyone. I am glad I waited because I got my husband.

I see so many people succumbing to the pressure to marry at the "right age" only to find themselves in loveless marriage. Many compromise and continue in it and some people separate. If some has so exacting standards that is unrealistic, that is one thing but on the other hand, there is noting wrong in having some expectations when it comes to finding a partner. My expectations was to find someone who loved me deeply but just as importantly, got along well with my family. I could never marry someone who did not get along with my family- it was a deal breaker for me.

As long as we are happy with our choices, that is all that matters.

SunPa and poovai like this.
  9. nandita24

nandita24 Gold IL'ite

This sums it all very well! If not for our desire to fit in with social acceptance we need not have to go through all these heartaches in the name of marriage. Today it's just a business deal to say the least. Idealism, expectations and definitions of marriage are indeed wonderful. Let's endeavor more towards leading a more practical and natural life keeping in mind genuine human aspirations, inclinations and characterestics than chasing mirages!

1 person likes this.
  10. Anithanatarajan

Anithanatarajan New IL'ite

Marriage means getting loved one as a partner for lifelong.
    A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.