1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Is The Quality Of Life?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SGBV, Mar 7, 2022.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

We work so hard, day & night with restlessness to provide a better quality life to our family.

But what is meant by quality of life?

Quality of life means the things that are needed for a good life.

If so, what is good life?
    Google says, standard health, happiness and comfort experienced by a group of people is called good quality life.

I think I get it.... But, my monkey mind has some additional questions; hence I open this floor to all of you to share your valuable opinions on this.

Let me share my POV first:-

We were supper comfortable and happy in our parent's 2 BHK house back in Sri Lanka.
    We had the luxury of time in our hands to spend quality time with the family & friends.

We almost, always cooked fresh hot meals at home, and obviously all of us cooked together. So, it was more fun to eat together later.
    We worked at home by cleaning, gardening and doing all the stuff without help.
    We walked a lot, or used a bicycle; hence we did not require a gym then.
    My dad and mom did not have major health issues until they reached their 60s. Even then, they were super healthy and active for their age. They looked young, within heathy weight, and more importantly maintained their mental health to a great level.
    We never needed big hospitals or high end schools. Because we were happy and content with what we had in our town bac then.

But we always wanted to upgrade our life as if it was not a quality life.
    We worked hard, earned in dollars, so that we could buy a luxury villa in a prime land later.

When I bought my villa & established a comfortable life there, I understood the fact that most my relatives and friends/neighbors detached from me. It was not just the distance, but the gap between our lifestyles detached them from us forever.
    Instead of real life friends and well-wishers, we ended up having more fake or formal people and virtual friends to rely on. This has created a huge gap in our mental health.

As if that wasn't a quality life, I migrated with my family to lead better quality life in abroad.

We are working over time, and at times in demanding jobs to pay the EMI to ensure the quality life style in this competitive environment.
    As a result, we commute a lot, and spend very little time at home with family.
    We don't cook much, but eat out. Instead of healthy food, we depend on cheap junk food.
    By the time we come home, we are not only tired, but stressed and unhealthy to hit the bed.
    This badly affect our health; hence we needed a better health care system to depend on.

We have no time to teach morals or language to our kids; hence we need schools to fill that gap.
    We spoon feed our kids as if they have no capacity to adapt to the challenging life. That's why we work so hard to ensure our kids have all the comforts at their door step.
    But this comes with its own cost, and that's what we are paying for life.

However, 2 recent incidents have made me question the choice of my life.

1. The Ukraine war:
    Looking at the people in Ukraine and the cities that are heavily bombarded, it shows how temporary this worldly life is.
    We work throughout our life, while compromising our mental and physical health only to understand nothing is permanent here.
    A war, a tsunami or any other natural disaster or a political turmoil can take away your wealth in no time. And there is no guarantee!

2. Death of Shane Warne
    No amount of fame, money, luxuries in life can save you if your mental or physical health is in question.
    Death can happen to anyone at anytime.
    What is the point of working so hard for a better retirement, if your destiny is written otherwise.
    I have seen people worked day and night at the cost of their health only to die few years later without being able to enjoy the fruit of their hard work.

Life is always simple. But we complicate it so much for nothing

2. lakshmi888

lakshmi888 Silver IL'ite

Quality of life for me is equally proportional to be able to spend healthy amount of time with family…

.. ..all the rest is fluff n can’t compare to the quality time spent with family

but destiny is the most powerful so even if a millionaire gets cancer, money can’t do much …

.so do good karma and leave the rest to destiny as destiny is so powerful that even lord Krishna who was cursed by draupadi could not change his destiny when he took birth on earth and had to see the demise of his entire family and his vansh destroyed due to draupadi’s curse

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
  3. FE40

FE40 Silver IL'ite

For me, I feel that quality of life can be defined by the mental satisfaction and peace. I feel fake relationships and friends destroy our peace. Long before, I was struggling for a profession, once I got a good job, struggled for promotions, etc. Now, I don't crave or work for promotions. I don't do anything that will take away my self-passionate time.

I also understood achieving mental peace was so easy when I started practicing yoga and meditation. I feel transformed for the better. I no longer get angry nor do I feel guilty. No external forces can shake me much.

Quality of life depends on how much we can be grounded .....

4. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Quality of life is a complex concept and the definition may differ from person to person. to me, quality of life is overall happiness, how do I feel where I am today- financially, emotionally, spiritually, physically, and mentally.

My spouse and I are simple people. We love our work, our time together, and our children. We love spending time with our families and friends. So for us, being there in a moment- working on things we care about, ability to provide to kids (extracurricular), reading and playing with our children every day, meeting friends regularly, and seeing our extended families when we want, not stressing about retirement or college (with well-planned portfolios)- makes the life well rounded.

SGBV likes this.