What Is The Advantages Of Taking A Prenatal Class??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by maluchandra, Jan 4, 2018.

1. maluchandra

maluchandra New IL'ite

Hi all,
    Can anyone share their experiences of pregnancy classes... what are topics covered and is it necessary??

2. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Yes, It is very useful. Quality depends on the instructor to some extent. They conduct class in the same child birth center where one may go. Check with the facility to learn more on the topics covered.

The class is not for you, in true sense. It is mostly for the bystander (spouse). They gave better idea on how to deal with the situation in a better way. Your partner will learn about childbirth and how to support you on the big day. You may find that attending childbirth classes together will create a special bond. Your instructor will discuss pain relief options, including massage, relaxation, breathing techniques, and medications.

I benefited a lot from classes on how to manage pain/pregnancy/delivery, taking care of the baby(how to use diaper, bath , swaddle. etc) and breastfeeding . My dh also learned a lot, that helped me. I strongly suggest it. Good luck

(We live in US and managed everything ourselves)

Sandycandy likes this.
  3. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Hi

It really depends on what you're looking to get out of these classes. For me, while I can't say that I "learned" a lot, it was a good 3 hours that I spent with my husband before the baby arrived. They taught us swaddling, comforting the baby if they were colicky etc. It was fun!!

maluchandra likes this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

We learnt the location of entrance, parking, and the shortest path to the elevator, if we arrive outside of regular hospital hours. That was pretty much the only useful thing.

Actually, that was in the hospital tour, not prenatal or Lamaze class. That class, all the tips they taught related to breathing, pushing.. I couldn't follow, even in the class itself. Blow out air slowly, like over a candle... the kindly instructor told the class. I didn't get it right. She corrected me couple of times... then a tear slid down my face. Then two. Better-half who was supposed to comfort me, was mortified at the tears and said 'wipe them, all are looking' and more tears slid down. : ) "All" were sitting on the floor of the darkened room, in pairs like this and except for us, were so full of love, care, 'aww honey..', and beautiful wide-eyed excitement of the whole darned thing.

Finally, time to go. Better-half stands up, and hand searching in pocket for car key, starts to walk away. I look up from the floor and wonder how I am going to get up. Another couple start to lend a hand, he realizes the 8 months pregnant "duck" woman is not following, comes back to help, I scold him on the way to the car... and insist that we take the next elevator and not the one filled with happy, gushing couples.

Nothing wrong with the class. We were just not cut out for that kind of class and instruction on how he massage her back, feed her ice chips and so on.

He was the most caring partner, dad, and I well-read with 'what to expect ..' book and babycenter.com One friend has told us, you only need to note down which parking lot to use in evening/night hours, rest is fluff. We later told him he was right. IIRC, he was pleased with our "you were right" and gave a pretty expensive gift when baby was born. Now, with youtube, and I am sure, even apps for the purpose, the classes are only a good way to spend time with husband. Or in some cases, to make the husband take off time to be with wife. We managed fine with books, some internet (last century), and the friendly ob/gyn, pediatrician, nurses and 24x7 phone help. Just us. Some help from friends like dropping off food a few times.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  5. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

@Rihana , loved the realism of the post, I can see DH and me in the roles you two played.:D

@maluchandra , sharing my experience which was more than a decade ago. My first delivery was a C-section, I was hell bent on having a vaginal delivery for the second one. So I dragged DH to the Lamaze classes, which was conducted by a "doula" . It was not the one in the hospital so this was purely about the birth process and breathing techs. I cant recall how many classes I went for ,iirc should be between 4-6 ( once per week) . Didnt think DH would be of much help, I was sure I could do it on my own ( the strong woman that I am:laughing:) , but he did practice a bit with me. And when the D-day came, boy , was it helpful !! My head kind of blanked out when the contractions were strong , so I just blindly followed the instructions from DH breathe , rest, push whatever. And we got thru it in one piece and really my appreciation of DH went up a few notches. So for me it was totally totally worth it.

What I would say the person supporting you during the labour/delivery should attend with you. If it is your first delivery, then quite a bit of useful post natal care / baby care will become clear. If you DH attends with you, atleast he will be aware of what you are going thru . Typical Indian men tend to shy away from all this.

6. maluchandra

maluchandra New IL'ite

Thank you so much for reply everyone and sorry I am late..
    Actually I asked as I am preparing for my certification as childbirth educator. I am also in USA and planning to start my classes soon in volunteering level. I have two kids , one born here. Even though it was my second delivery, I felt a bit unprepared for my delivery and postpartum here in USA. So I thought helping Mom's around me..
    I am looking for topics that you/ pregnant mom will love to learn I those classes??

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018