1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What is my SIL greatness? Am I unable to understand anything?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by maddysweet, Mar 7, 2016.

1. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Dear OP,

Do you have any brother? If so next time you compare your DH with your brother and tell him that he should learn from your brother.....

If you do not have brothers then compare with your SIL's husband then see your DH's reaction....

Let him know the pain......

Every person is unique in their own way, so don't get offended by your DH or SILs talks......

2 people like this.
  2. maddysweet

maddysweet Silver IL'ite

You are exactly right. Participating in the race i have ended up become a different person than what i am.
    But thats the main goal of my husband. Change me to a completely new person as per his convenience in which he did succeed. and i am fine coz he did change little bit for me too.
    I do see change in my inlaws too last year even though they did talk like vinayaka chavithi incident. and my MIL telling me i didnt do potty training properly, i didnt clip nails etc.
    where as her daughters son who is now getting managed by 2 teens was completely lost in the ground.
    But they atleast acknowledged that i was planning trips for them, they showed affection. bought be a saree with love for which i was happy.

But my SIL is the worst of all. her proud and attitude grows every year and now even more after her second marriage.

3. maddysweet

maddysweet Silver IL'ite

The reason i get angry on SIL more than Hubby is , men always compare wives with their mothers and sisters. so they make huge contribution on how he behaves with wife.
    In our friends circle, i was the first one to have kid.so my husband only knew abt my SIL stories, she kept telling her 1st delivery she did all work.Later when other friends started having kids, my husband saw how they were getting so much help. his own friends stopped playing tennis to help wife.
    so thats how my husband completely changed.

when my second one born, my hubby would take me restaurants etc so much and he didnt let me put grinder saying the baby will hear loud noise. his friend told him that. then my SIL calls one day, hubby tells her he has to put grinder coz i am pregnant. she again says,"no need i put grinder it absolutely does no harm to baby, let your wife do grinder".
    This is what i hate about her. telling wrong suggestions to husband.

how about she gets complete help on feeding the 2nd kid. it was her teen daughter who was taking care of her 2nd kid and now her step son also helps. literally she doesnt so anything for her 2nd kid. where as i do for both my kids. they never tell and husband becomes blind infront of them.

4. maddysweet

maddysweet Silver IL'ite

@1Sandhya

I did that. I was so stressful when my kids were infants with a husband who expects me to do all housework plus his work and dont take any vacations at work.
    At that time i did say. I am not super women like your sister i cant do and he just talked to me like i am crap and i beared it.

I did made my hubby slowly realize by seeing other friends. But the realization should come from his sister side. I wish our 10 day trip will make him realize the false boastings of his sister.

as you all said, even if he doesnt realize and continue. I will fight not to compare but wont over stress myself.

5. maddysweet

maddysweet Silver IL'ite

@KCB

I do have brother but my brother is very lazy compared to my husband. so i dont create any false stories and bring my brother topic. however my husband does know that my brother wife doesnt do much house work and he tells me that i should tell my MOM to make her do house work.
    when my brother married, first thing i told my brother is not to compare me with his wife and told him, she is many years younger generation so she will not do as much housework as i am doing.

6. maddysweet

maddysweet Silver IL'ite

@Yellow Mango,

When i say that to my husband. He says i am trying to dominate him and doing things in my style. he says since i am wife, i should change as per his family way but not other way round.
    [QUOTE
    Why do you care so much for your husband's approval? What does he do to get your approval .He is using your sil to run you to the ground.He compares ,you feel bad and you try harder,do more.His life is perfect.His sister and wife are are out doing each other to outshine each other.[/QUOTE]

7. maddysweet

maddysweet Silver IL'ite

@ YellowMango

After long time talked to MIL. We are planning to go India this summer and i want to go for atleast 5 weeks. me being contractor working with no vacation past 2 years want to go for 5 weeks to stay at both mothers place and also MIL place( to give her some sugggestions on kitchen keepin). my husband agreed.

MY MIL didnt bring SIL topic but says its waste of money me taking off and coming india for 5 weeks. what should i reply her?.

Every time they say, waste of money and dont let me take vacation.
    I dont like taking full time jobs coz as a technical lead i do make more in contracting.

8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Tell her there is more to life than money .
    Working at home and outside takes a toll on body and mind and people need to give break to both body and mind.

Op...you are the one working.Why do you listen to them?Tell them you need a break and take the break. Your husband and mil are greedy and money minded.They will grind you to dust for money.You need to take care of yourself.No one else will.

1 person likes this.
  9. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

OP,

Take a print out of all your posts in this thread and go through line by line and underline where you used the phrase 'My husband says', 'My husband said..' May be then you will realize the real problem lies with your h who will simply not let you forget about his sister and invokes her at every step and every day. He is the one who has made her presence so large in your marriage. And you are wrong that all husbands compare like this. That is simply not true. If it was your SIL alone who is the problem, you see her once a year (like your In laws) and you can minimize phonecalls etc and solve the problem but no, OP, it is your h with who you live - he is the one who will daily not let you forget her greatness. So... You have to tackle the problem where it lies.

Whenever he goads you, rebel and work less on purpose. Show you are majorly down and dejected by his words, tell him he is impossible to please, no matter how hard you try so now you have given up. Be dejected and work less than normal for at least a week or a month. When he has to do more work or eat outside food as the price for his loose tongue then only he will learn, And do this consistently.

3 people like this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OP,

The crux of the problem here, and with other couples too, is that the man compares wife to his mother, sister, and also verbalized the comparison to her.

Long ago, a friend of mine was having a bad that time of the month. Cramps, back ache, head ache and everything. Not married for too long, the husband innocently said that he had never heard of such serious monthly suffering, and went on to substantiate his observation with lack of evidence - said he never recalled his mother or sister suffering in any way, and in fact, the rest of the family never ever even knew when it was their time of the month, in spite of small house and one bathroom.

Not the smartest thing for any man to say to a wife suffering from the monthly. So, my friend enlightened her husband about how the monthlies can be different for women, that PMS can be real, and that she didn't care if his mother/sister had it easy.

Time passed, all women in the story, attained and crossed menopause too, daughters of the women attained puberty and teenage , but the guy's injudicious comments haunt him to this day.

This thread reminded of that friend from long ago, and it was a relaxing mid-Monday exercise to visit with her. :)

sindmani, maddysweet and generic like this.