What is Karma-Yoga ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Meena,
    Your shocking, frank F b !!
    I fully agree with you that it is not an instant change that can come over anybody. Should we not atleast know what it means & think about it ?
    Also, let me tell you one thing - my teacher says, since we Hindus believe in rebirth, let us atleast make a beginning in this janma & pray God that we should evolve gradually in the janmas to come.
    Please do not think, it is a ready-mix formula. Not at all. However abstract & tough-sounding, these are the eternal truths of life.
    Love,
    Chithra.

2. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra,

It's tooooo intricate a subject but definitely one shld know the truths of life. But most of the time I get confused by the results and then I start questioning about a lot of things. but whenever we read such intense topics we do get into a controversial thinking.
    It's good to have someone like you to remind us on such spiritual topics now and then. Keep up the good work, Chitra. I shall grow up sooooon.

Love,

3. Chitvish

Oh Meena,
    I hope you did'nt think, I was pointing fingers at you ! Not at all !! I am still in a stage when I should point fingers at myself !!!
    I agree, the results are confusing - when we can't accept & find them confusing, that shows we have started thinking deeply about it. That is the first step in evolution. Are not failures, the stepping stones to success? I too prefer to learn things, by making repeated mistakes. Only then the understanding becomes clear.
    The difference between our ages will be many donkeys' years ! So, by experience, I have reached a stage when I realise that the truth is tough to accept, hard to understand, but accept we must since it just glares at our face !
    Every bitter, unpleasant experience, when it leaves, does so, only after teaching us a valuable life-lesson. I am still experiencing it.
    Do not run away, please ! Continue with me, Meena !
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra,

Very very interesting post.....of course only as we realise by ourselves and learn and grow, can we become karma yogis...but a very enlightening post...
    I especially liked these lines......

"A karma-yogi is he who in the midst of the greatest silence and solitude finds the most intense activity and in the midst of the most intense activity finds the silence and solitude of the desert. He has learnt the secret of restraint, he has controlled himself."

And what Meena said is also true and how to react at certain times etc,...we can get all confused and what u have answered for her also is true...all bitter experiences teach us a valuable lesson....so ...we have to learn and grow!:2thumbsup:

5. Chitvish

My dear Sudha,
    I am glad that the interaction between me & Meena, helped you understand better.
    To reach the stage of karma yogi- not only does it take many years, rather janmas, but in the process we get toughened by many many good, bad & indifferent experiences, call it exposures.
    But the process of doing a karma, without expecting, rather, waiting for fruits, is enjoyable because in course of time, you start deriving pleasure from doing the karma. The pleasure of doing it becomes of paramount importance to you.
    You just go ahead with the attitude
    செய்வன திருந்தச் செய்

I hope I have not bored you with a long explanation, Sudha.
    Thankyou very much for the F B.
    I want to make amention, here, that on your request, I am posting Lakshmi 108 namavali in english tomorrow. It is a very rare & special namavali. Thanks for asking for it.
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra,

you point a gun at me and I shall still be with you..
    I'm not the kind who would run away so easily but pls don't ever take things personally. I jsut shared what came to my mind at that time.
    oh, Chitra, I shall soon be there (so many donkey's yrs) and grow up sooon, I promise. By trying to enlighten me, you've quoted a beautiful truth - Every bitter, unpleasant experience, when it leaves, does so, only after teaching us a valuable life-lesson. I'll say a biiiiiiiiig YES for that. I've experienced it tooo. See, I've grown up a bit now.

Now, where's the gun, my friend???????????

Love,

7. Chitvish

Oh my dear Meena,
    It was a toy gun made of chocolate - chitvish is capable of only such things!!

I just want you to realise that it is in no way a quick thing to achieve, but atleast we should start moving in the right direction, knowing that such theories are time tested, though sounding very abstract and theoritical!
    Every complaint is a blessing & we must learn to identify the message, the Universe is trying to teach us.

Now I am sure, you will not leave me, my friend!
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chitra,
    You have taken a very abstract topic and have explained it very well. I am glued to such topics these days. How much I practice is a whole different question.
    The Karma Yogi should have non-attachment to the fruits of actions.Do his actions and leave the results to God. Thanks for this post Chitra.
    Love,

9. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Dear Chitra Madam,

You have taken a complicated topic and given a very simple explanation. I have to say I had the same questions that Meena had while reading. When I scrolled down I found Meena's FB and your response to her. You have answered my questions too.
    We all definitely have to accept the consequences of our actions and leave the rest to God Almighty.

Thanks for that enlightening article.

Love,
    Jothi.

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chitra,

I am not going to repeat words like good write up, excellent work, great words etc etc etc. They are understood I hope, by now! You are wonderful in explaining complicated philosophy in simple words. So let me not waste your time anymore.

Simplified or not, our Vedanta demands a lot from us. Or, maybe it only wants us..our inner self, the being, which is really Brahman? So, there I go, it is so simple and still almost impossible to grasp. Will I , can I , do I want to...I don't know. All I know is I must live the life given to me to my best abilities. Even as I do so, my little world around me makes it difficult. Hence I totally can understand Meena ( inspite of crossing the donkey's years!!) and Sudha's questioning. Besides, you know I am a bit skeptical.

Well, here's to hoping that good thoughts, good reads ( thanks to people like you) and good company ( what's that?!) will guide me.

L, Kamla