1. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Liked anything that you read here? You may nominate it as the Finest Posts!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

what is joint property registration?

Discussion in 'Housing' started by neha1, Jun 23, 2010.

1. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Friends,

I wanted to know the plus and minus of a joint property registration in Chennai. My Husband and my father in law are having a joint property(flat). Will this cause any future problems?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

neha1,

if your husband has siblings then there is a chance of problems. if your FIL does have a will/agreement stating this flat is your husband's alone it may not. consult a lawyer.

Many people go for joint registration these days. reasons could be many..some of what i understand..
    1. tax benefits...gets distributed between the owners..
    2. better loan eligibility. (if the husband and wife are working the combine income gets a better amount)
    3. some take the easy route, instead of giving POA and things.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  3. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Shanvy, for the prompt response..

I am assuming that the reasons that you have mentioned are for husband and wife...and not parent and child...Please correct me if I am wrong...

Also, are there any benefits that a retired person(FIL) can get from such a move? Is joint ownership same as co-ownership then?