What is in your child's school tiffin box today?(Restricted to Qatar shops and items)

Discussion in 'Indians in Qatar' started by soann, Dec 4, 2013.

1. soann

soann Silver IL'ite

My kid is about to go to big school in few months and I would love to know from you experienced mums who are already sending tiffin boxes, the items that your kids love, and that which does not go bad by the time it is snack time at school.

If you could update as daily as possible I'm sure all of us could use the variety.:cheers

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
    1 person likes this.

2. soann

soann Silver IL'ite

I'm posting this in the Qatar forum so that we could discuss shops from which certain items can be bought. Also, due to other factors that may effect, like school timing, weather conditions .etc. surrendersmiley

3. MadhuSharmila

MadhuSharmila IL Hall of Fame

Welcome this idea of yours Sowmya... :goodidea:

I do give breakfast for my DD who is going to nursery now. I give her tiffin items that are dry so that it is easy to eat by herself... I give her Idli or dosa applying Idli podi over it and then making them into small pieces.

Chapathi, poori and Adai are the other items I give her. Sometimes I give her Bread omlette or Egg dosa.

And, today is her Dosa day :)

4. manisha.sanjay

manisha.sanjay Gold IL'ite

Hello Sowmya,

For my DD's most of the time i give chappathi and dry veg curry rolls.For change sometime it is chappathi with ghee and sugar rolls,parathas,sometimes dosa,idli or bread with butter.

5. Meenasri

Meenasri Silver IL'ite

Hey sowmya ,

Good topic to open up with , Its quite easy sometimes , because the little one checks the other boxes and comes up with ideas , if i agree then the box is finished , or it just comes back , asking why i didnt keep what he asked for LOL . Othertimes need to use my head .

- I keep Idli with sugar, ghee, Idli podi etc (mini idlis , big ones )
    - Chapati rolled with Jam or cheese spread
    - pasta ( variety with cartoon figures - mickey etc ) with scarped carrot or any vegge that can be eaten raw.
    - Poori.
    - Sandwich with jam or cheese spread , fruit bread , cream buns, cupcakes with some fruits .
    - Noodles once a while when he asks.
    -Idiappam
    -Sevai
    -Dosa
    that's for now that i can think :)

6. soann

soann Silver IL'ite

At my daughter's nursery they give hot food straight from their kitchen at every meal time, so never got a chance to pack her tiffin yet.
    Idli seems to be the most popular kid friendly item here. thinkingsmiley My kid is not a big fan of idli though, but loves ghee roast. So that is an option.:thumbsup

She likes chapati and puri too. But she doesn't like eating anything with it. So I apply ghee on chapati and give puri as it is. She likes curd sometimes with chapati. Curd will turn bad though if we send it to school right?

What is the recipe for idli-podi? Is it spicy?

What is adai and egg dosa? Won't egg turn bad in few hours?

Has anyone tried fruit/vegetable muffins? Just that it will be packed with nutrients in a muffin form. ideasmiley (Ways to trick my daughter to eat healthy. gigglingsmiley She eats her veggies only when I give it with rice :cry:)

7. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Re: What is in your child's school tiffin box today?(Restricted to Qatar shops and it

Soumya , Same here.DD loves Idly with podi(Again it is seasonal and depends on the her mood).

No Egg does not turn bad.Infact DD loves Egg dosa with pepper powder over it.

I think Sharmila,Manisha , Meena have pretty much covered everything.

DD likes Pasta .As Meena said they are available in all different shapes (even as disney characters).

Lemon rice with chips.
    Tomato rice with egg.
    Vegg Cheese Sandwich with tomato ketchup.
    Vegg Noodles.
    Poori with Channa.

Check out menus at sharmispassion, sailus kitchen,archanaskitched,padhuskitchen...They have lovely recipie's over there.Idli podi recipie is also there.

Will update with more as I remember.Can you please provide the recipie for veg muffins?

8. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Re: What is in your child's school tiffin box today?(Restricted to Qatar shops and it

Can anyone tell me whether we can get hotpacks for kids here?I tried the one from FFC but DD says it does not stay hot.

9. soann

soann Silver IL'ite

I would like to know too

10. soann

soann Silver IL'ite

bhuvana, here is a sample of what all we can do to a muffin :twisted:

Laura in the Kitchen - Starring Laura Vitale