1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What is in a name?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Mar 14, 2008.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

What is in a name?

A rose is a rose is a rose.
    The meaning most often attributed to this is the notion that when all is said and done, a thing is what it is. This is in similar vein to Shakespeare's 'a rose by any other name would smell as sweet'
    But would you like to call a rose by any other name? Or for that matter would you call a jasmine by any other name? But a rose or jasmine would not object if you call them by any other name. But the people around you would brand you as a lunatic if you call the rose by any other name.
    So also if you call Ram as Shyam he would definitely object.

Do you have a nick name?

A nickname is a name of a person or thing other than the proper name. It may either substitute or be added to the proper name. It may be a familiar or truncated form of the proper name. For example Duraiswami is called as Dhochchu, Parthasarathi as Pachchu, Krisnaswami as Kittu, Kitappa or Kitanna. Sulochana is called as Lochu, Meenakshi as Meenu, Saroja as sojji and so on. These are all shortened from original names. But there are nicknames which have no link to the original names, but are given for some reason like the behaviour, mannerism or physique of the persons.
    One of my friend was given the nickname LP, for talking nonstop in those days of LP records. Perhaps she would have got the name MP3 or I-pod in this computer age. One tall preson was given the name lamboo and one fat one was called gundu Mani. Thus go on the nicknames.
    Even cities and states have nick names. Jaipur is known as Pink city, Bangalore-city of gardens, Surat- Diamond city, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Hyderabad</st1:place></st1:City>, city of bangles and also twin city. Like wise all over the world cities have their nicknames.

Pet names

Some people confuse nicknames with pet names. Pet names are endearing ones that shows affection. Mostly they do not have any meaning. Babies are caressed by calling them as bojju, bachchu, bujju (boys) and kuttimma, pattu kunjalam, jolly, jingly and so on for girls. But these pet names differ from state to state.

Apart from nick names and pet names nom deplume / pseudonym is used by famous writers. You all know the nom de plume used by our IL famous writers.
    Most ILites are familiar with J K Rowling, the Harry Potter writing wizard. Before publishing her first book in the <st1:country-region><st1:place>U.S.</st1:place></st1:country-region>, her publisher expressed concern that her target audience (young boys) might not buy books by a female author. Thus, Joanne Rowling became J.K.Rowling.
    Dear me! it seems I am exceeding the limit now and boring you all! My humble request to you all, to share your nick names/pet names with us. Or if you feel shy to share it with all, you can PM me.
    Love,
    PS

2. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear PS ma'am,
    A relaxing post......that brought a smile on my face....
    pav bhaji- nick name for a cousin with chubby cheeks....
    rocket- for me when i was so thin.....
    idli bhoodham- for a cousin who loves idlis....

3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Bhargavi,
    It was really a great surprise for me today! Nice to know the nick names! My son's friend was very thin and he got the nick name kuchchi!
    There is a lot to a name.
    A house wife feels shy to call herself so and so now she is given a dignified name as Home-Maker. A mechanic likes to be called as Technician. In stead of calling bluntly a blind man or blind woman the visually impaired, and hearing impaired speech impaired and so on...... really sounds nice and dignified. A maid servant could be known as domestic helper.

Love,
    PS