1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Is "homeschooling?"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by anika987, Oct 26, 2016.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Does it mean having the kid at home 24/7 till 12th grade or till they start elementary??
    How beneficial is this?i see some
    Parents are into this and is it worth it?
    How is it good to have kid at home
    All at without any outside
    Interaction?or am I misunderstanding what homeschooling is??what is it about

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Homeschooling is giving your child an eduction at home instead of sending the child to school. The parents set the syllabus and theit own pace. I think each country has some laws for the minimum the child should know - literacy and basic maths perhaps.

It could be temporary -say until the child gets a place in a desired school. or permanent because the parents aren't convinced that the education system is doing enough for the kids.

There are various means of imparting education at home. there are local groups of homeshoolers who meet for common lessons together. There's something called unschooling where they wait for a child to show interest in something before the parent imparts knowledge about that.

Home schooled kids do get a lot of opportunity to interact with others during extracurricular activities etc. the parents ensure this usually.

I've known parents who homeschool but haven't met kids here though. I've met home schooled kids in India and those kids did seem knowledgeable, socially well rounded and well behaved compared to usual school going kids. boils down to the parents i suppose.

I researched homeschooling briefly but decided my child is better off in school.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016