1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

what is harmless flirting?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by nemesis, Nov 25, 2013.

1. ChandrikaV

ChandrikaV IL Hall of Fame

Interesting thread.......when does a harmless flirting, turn into an affair? If you have a male friend with whom you share common interests, is it wrong to spend time with him? like a cup of coffee in a cafe......

2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Too late - I noticed that right off. Edits wouldn't have saved you from the proverbial red pencil.

It's great song - it's a big enough hit for me to assume that everyone knows it, but then it may be filed away under blues/country/folk & hence deter some - so for people who don't know it: it's worth a listen.

And yes - it's captures flirtation perfectly.

3. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

4. ChandrikaV

ChandrikaV IL Hall of Fame

In the case of married couples, harmless flirting is harmless only when the spouse is able to understand and accept it......if one of them is not comfortable with it, it leads to lots of fights and issues. Not totally sure in that scenario, if the person who is engaged in harmless flirting should give it up. I think in some cases it drives the person to the other end......

Just my two cents.

1 person likes this.
  5. chetavani50

chetavani50 Gold IL'ite

Yeah,Aamrapali, well said. It is all about our maturity to understand. Everything is in our mind.
    And then, bttI hope we have to coin a new word for this..googlesmiley
    :confused2: Anybody there????

6. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

Yes. The spouse that is flirting should understand and accept that it is not harmless.

7. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

Now for some serious thoughts Computer Typing

I find harmless flirting used more by the first person who indulges in it rather than standard practice of defining an act. When one is approaching someone or defensive about one's position -- when busted -- usually 'harmless' acts as mitigating agent to contain the slight one might take. You could say - 'Care to chat for some harmless flirting' - with connotation - I won't stalk you after this in chat forums. When used by one party in a relationship, 'I was only involved in harmless flirting' - the participant is defending his/her stance by underlining the degree of severance in that filipendulous affair. I could come out any second without any withdrawal symptoms of attachment.

In both the cases, feel it is only the first person engaged in the activity who tries to trivialize the situation by cleverly prefixing it with 'harmless' and looking like a lost babe/baba in woods; usually not recognized as intensifier in normative classification of observable social interactions.

2 people like this.
  8. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

OK teacher.. taking notes..Computer Typing
    'flirt all you want and cover up with a prefix "harmless" when caught'

deep thought: harmless flirting is flirting with enough wiggle space

1 person likes this.
  9. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

10. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Uttaraa, this is perfect. It is the exact thought I had last night, but I could not phrase it properly, as you have done. It is immediately suspicious that we have to put that qualifier "harmless" in our phrasing, because this implies a greater-than-normal potential to be harmful.

And I also think that people know exactly when they have crossed the line from talking, or laughing, or bonding as friends, into "come-hither" territory. Not many people are honest enough to admit it, though, even to themselves.

2 people like this.