1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

what is happening? what to do now?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by himabinduu, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Extend you vacation and tell your husband that you will go with him. In a trip, if he is spending time with his mom, let it be. It is natural for him to spend time with his mother. I don't think you need to be upset with that. My DH also spends time with his parents when we visit India. He never stays at my parents house. However late, he will return to his house. I just enjoy food, shopping, meeting my friends and relatives, spend time with my parents and sleep, never enter kitchen. My DH does his own things. So extend your vacation and enjoy it. Also, there is no harm in having your kid spend some time with his grandma. It is the experience which he will always remember. My grandma used to visit us for a few months and i always remember the love and caring she gave to me - making my favorite food, warming the food for me, folding my clothes, etc. so many memories. So please don't deprive your child from grandmother's love. She may not be good with you but will always give love to her grandson.

1 person likes this.
  2. JustLikeYou

JustLikeYou Gold IL'ite

Very True
    This will actually increase the fights between the couple. There should be an end and no looking for getting even.
    Nobody has to live the jerk that cuts you off in the line. Life partner is supposed to be the one that don’t cut you off or put you down.
    Don’t you think the same applies to the OP as well? She deserves to stay with her parents.
    I think what men of this age forget is that women doesn’t have to plead/request/cry to exervise her freedom. She is mature and can make decisions for her and her family. Husbnand and wife both have discuss.
    I haven’t come across a man who doesn’t call a woman who cries as Drama queen.

1 person likes this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

seriously???? A grown woman has to resort to tears and pleading in the high chance that her mighty husband will do her bidding????? Seriously....a woman has to demean herself just to be able to see her parents while this man thinks it is birth right to not only stay with his own but get his wife to stay with his parents.Forget a man's ego.....what about a little humanity.....do you really think a man who wants tears and pleading from his 'woman' has any love in his heart for her.

I do agree with the rest of the points though.

2 people like this.
  4. Subashankar

Subashankar New IL'ite

Been there , done that. MIL almost made me suicidal when she was over when my DD was born. All of ILs acted like heartless beasts incl my DH when we visited them a year later for DDs first bday. But the story ended right there. I shut up and put up with every insult they threw at my and my family. Once we flew back , I lost my **** and threatened DH with divorce. Mind you I was jobless at that time , had never worked in the US , but still couldnt deal with his and the ILs attitude. DH panicked and got his **** together. No woman need to deal with this tyranny. Im assuming you are a citizen or a green holder. So visa status do not matter much to you. If you want to extend your stay , do that and go back together and confront your DH there.
    I do not speak to my ILs and I so love my current stress free life. They were complete toxins who slowly rot my body and mind. I will leave it at that. What they did to be cut off is a long story for perhaps another thread. GL

2 people like this.
  5. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

OP,

This is extremely touchy subject in my life. I hate my trips, it feels like a punishment. All I remember was, nothing but crying when I go to India. It feels like a different world (living in nightmare) and my DH treats me like he is 'at war' with me.

It is not an one time bad incident! I must have done some bad karma to live in such a nightmare, over and over again.

Over the years, I reduced my trip to just 7-days. It worked out to be the best for both of us and after returning it takes, weeks to recover in silent.

Haven't found a solution yet, for my re-occurring nightmare.

1 person likes this.
  6. himabinduu

himabinduu New IL'ite

Thanks to everyone who responded and for your kind words of advice. It is nice to hear guy's perspective too.
    I have to clarify one thing. I don't need to plead to go to my parents place. After all these years, have achieved that. I just inform only my DH ahead of time. My DH is fine if I stay at my parents place. All he needs is his freedom from me. Because of my MIL he says that my son needs to spend his time equally(exactly 50:50) at his place and my parents place. Here comes the problem, I can not stay away from my son and I end up staying with him at MILs place even if I don't have to and don't like to. Earlier my DH had the privilege of working remotely from anywhere for few years before I started to work. So once we stayed for 3 months and went through terrible time. But never again.
    I agree, sometimes the problem looks bigger than it is. I guess I learnt making mountain out of molehill from my DH. Some times for small fights he says he will quit his job and go back to India. For example, during our last India trip we had to stay in a hotel one day and my son pressed random numbers on the locker and closed it. We couldn't open it. I told my DH to call hotel staff to open it. But my DH was furious and kept on scolding my son for about 20 minutes saying 'we can not go back to US now, our passport is stuck in the locker' etc.. Finally he called the hotel staff and they opened it for us. When I asked him why he didn't do that earlier instead of scolding the kid, he said he wanted to teach him a lesson so that he will not repeat it again!
    I think he is applying the same principle with me, making my small mistakes big and scolding me so that I should not repeat??
    I don't want to extend our trip, just want to return to US before they create another turmoil. I am glad to find this form. Thanks again.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. momusa

momusa New IL'ite

Hi\
    I understand what you are going through as my hubby and I guess many hubbies are very similar to yours.I think when left alone my husband is very logical and open minded which I love and admire about him.
    Once he is with mil I can see him changing into a conservative man thinking and saying like my mil.We have our inlaws visiting us here now and I am seeing the change in him.My mil is very similar , she is cunning ..will act like she is the sweetest and kindest mil in front of my hubby and with me she turns her normal self.Whenever we have fights now she talks to him and advices him god knows what and his behavior changes .I told him that the fights are between him and me related to us so let us handle it.If a third person comes in between it blows out of proportion and has negative consequences.
    I have learnt a few lessons in life.I never talk to my mil badly in front of him because once it happened that even though she was wrong my husband told me that I had misbehaved.So I know he will never see her fault.If I have any concerns I tell him when I am at work and he can think rationally and she is not there to make any incident more dramatic.In front of her I keep my conversations minimum , because she hears someone talking on phone she jumps to conclusions and she is very talkative.At home I also talk to my husband minimum when she is around.I know they always form an opinion about dil and its mostly negative.

1 person likes this.
  8. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

What's the problem in having your son stay a few days with your MIL? Don't be so possessive, you are picking up the same nature as your MIL then. Let him stay with his grandma for a few days and enjoy your time at your parents place.
    From the locker incident, you know how he thinks. So next time just listen from one ear and let it go from the other and avoid your MIL as much as possible during your stay.

1 person likes this.
  9. himabinduu

himabinduu New IL'ite

momusa- My mil sounds exactly like yours. How can educated, logically thinking men blindly follow their moms in Indian culture?
    Akanksha1982 - I will try to implement most of the advices given on this form except one thing - leaving my son overnight at MIL's place. I will think about it when my son gets little older. Once I had sent him to stay there for 3 days and my son refuse to come to me to my parents house! it was so hurtful. She is so possessive act like his own mom, putting him to bed next to her and telling him nonsense things about me instead of telling him some kids appropriate moral stories. He would come to me and ask 'why did you do that'. So, I decided not to leave him overnight. Just because she is his grandma, she is not entitled to do that. I have one more week and planning to go to airport directly from my parents place (along with DH).

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
    1 person likes this.