1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

what is good for 11 month old baby head scalp to be shaved or trimmed?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by alpine, Oct 22, 2013.

1. alpine

alpine New IL'ite

We will be visiting india next month and i want to know which option is good for my 11 month old baby boy. It is a custom to give hair to god. But i am not sure how the baby takes the shaving and me and my husband are thinking to get his hair trimmed closely. Any suggestions wud be helpful.

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hi OP,

From experience with my dd I'd say the child will be upset if his head is held tight for either. Shaving in itself doesn't hurt. The child would loudly object to being trapped.

If your customs are a bit relaxed, you could just cut a little chunk of hair, wrap it up in yellow cloth and dedicate it to your deity. Then in a couple of years you could do a mundan - my 3 year old niece and nephew barely made a sound. We'd explained to them what was about to happen. They saw other kids being shaved. Then sat down quietly for their mundan. All they wanted to do was see themselves in a mirror and laugh

Hope this helps

2 people like this.
  3. alpine

alpine New IL'ite

thanks gueshoo, we thought about the yellow cloth wrapping thing but had for some reasons had to do the hair offering now itself. we brought up this with the ped and she told to buy clippers of our own. so we are thinking of trimmimg hair closely so that wud be easy as opposed to shaving becoz with the baby being small and reluctant to hold his head steady might get bruises. just my thought.... any experiences are welcome..

4. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Alpine
    you are right babies resist it.
    My son's hairs were shaved when he was 11months old.It was a tradition so i gave in to what my inlaws asked me to do.He cried for a while but then the guy who was doing it was pretty experienced and did his job fast and smoothly.He must have not taken more than 15mins to finish it.So everything went fine.
    Then i didnt have too many options...but if i were to do it again today then i might buy my own trimmer....to be on the more hygienic side.
    But if you dont want to shave completely then offering just a few strands will also do.

5. simply_doubtful

simply_doubtful Gold IL'ite

if its in tirupathi or somewhere in a temple. give the barber more money then tell them to shave his head without any nicks or cuts. my son was shaved thrice and till now he hasn't cried. my dh tells me that the action of shaving hair gives a tranquilizing effect. so chill and don't worry. buy some new blades for shaving ok.
    Hansika

1 person likes this.
  6. Thriveniram

Thriveniram Senior IL'ite

Hi Alpine,

What Hansika said was right, shaving the head s better option..
    Jus last week we had been to dharmastala, Karnataka to shave my 11 months old daughter's hair as its a part of our custom.. she cried a bit, but now she s much relaxed..
    there's nothing to worry about it..very simple one..

7. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hi alpine, you can actually buy shaving blade - not the new razors. The good old shaving blade - and give it to the person who is shaving. That's what we did for our DD. As dinny says, the person shaving her hair was quite experienced and did it pretty fast. My parents had brought pure sandal wood and made a paste of it which we applied immediately on my DDs head. Despite a couple of small nicks, she was fine.

8. alpine

alpine New IL'ite

Thanks all will try to talk my husband into shaving and thanks gueshoo for hint on sandalwood.

9. alpine

alpine New IL'ite

But again why is trimming not suggested while i think it cud be done in less time than shaving. I have no idea on either if them so please can u shed some light.thanks for all ur patience and time

10. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Alpine
    trimming might take more time because it has to be done more evenly.While shaving can be done in just one go.