What is Dharma ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Surya

Surya Senior IL'ite

Dear Chitra,

It is possible only by you to give a heavy topic in the very simplest form with easily understandable examples. Being a human we have several duties , if we do our duty according to the moral laws, then it is Dharma. Our world will be a peaceful place to live, if everybody follow the path of dharma. But that’s impossible, but atleast we can make our sorroundings peaceful by following the path of dharma to the extent possible.
    Thank you for the wonderful post.

Regards,
    Kodi.

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sihi !
    You said it right. Dharma is the discipline which trains you do things only the right away. Very often, for practical reasons, it is tempting and easy to move away from Dharma. If you read the Forum Etiquette of I L, you will find that we are expected to follow dharma !
    But many do forget it to suit their "moods" is a different proposition altogether ! That is why I mentioned about the Law of Karma in one of my replies. All the "why"s in our lives will get answeres !! Dharma followed by the Law of Karma, explains in a nutshell all about life, is an understatement.
    I know, this is a heavy topic & needs repeated reading for understanding. But we cannot be forever dealing with only light, "breezy", "easy to understand" topics. We have to march ahead with deeper topics. It is becoming increasingly challenging for me - I am scared that heavy topics will chase all away from this thread. But my decision is to stick to my dharma - என் கடன் பணி செய்து கிடப்பதே !
    Thanks for joinig us in this thread, Sihi.
    Love,
    Chithra.
    Though I am not very much into the teachings of other religions, I strongly believe, they will also have dharma as the core principle.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  3. Chitvish

My dear VS,
    I can make out that you are a student of Vedanta as well, which makes me very happy.
    Believe me, the topic I was drafting last evening was "Sat Chit Ananda" ! It is not easy though, to put it all in simple words. Avoiding "vedantic jargons" poses me a real hurdle when I start writing such topics.

A small mention here. In "dharman thalai kakkum", the word dharma(m) refers to charity. But what I have written about is in the meaning "righteousness".

The same way, the word Karma also has a dual meaning. It means “action” and it also means “ destiny”. Interpreting it the right way is the key to correct understanding !
    I am very happy that you have read this & sent me F B.
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. Chitvish

Dear Radha !
    Both your quotes are well - written.
    You have correctly understood it. "Comfort level" starts in body first !If we have done some wrong to another person, however much we try to justify our own actions, do we not tend to get a head ache or some physical discomfort ?
    It then passes on to mind & finally intellect. Intellect will never accept it, but we just brush it aside, to justify our thinking.

I wish to quote here, the Gita - 4.8

ParithraNaya sadhunam, vinasaya cha dushkrutam
    Dharmasamsthapanarthaya sambhavami yuge yuge

For the protection of the righteous, for the destruction of the unrighteous and for the establishment of righteousness, I come into being every age.

This verse says it all ! Thankyou for your compliments !
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. Chitvish

Dear Kodi,
    You have understood it well.
    Aligning ourselves in the righteous way, as a part of society is the crux of the entire life. If everyone of us does it, following dharma, that will be our contribution to a peaceful society.
    Thanks for your F B.
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Your explanation was too good!

Hi Chithra,
    I personally feel that doing ones duty righteously with no place for any ill thoughts can be a great dharma.
    good explanation , very descriptive and understandable.

Thankyou for this post!!

Best Regards,
    Aishu

7. Chitvish

My dear Aishu !

You defined dharma right.
    As human beings, perhaps ill thoughts are likely to creep up in mind - but is in our hands to prevent ill action, ill writing etc !
    Thanks for the F B.
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra,
    I read and reread this to analyse the meaning of Dharma in my mind. Great explanation.....especially this para...
    Scriptures tell us that in following Dharma, the first and foremost aspect is good conduct in life. We should learn to obey and do our duty first, accepting that we do not always have the maturity to understand the entire principle and foundation of Dharma.
    We have no right to cause other people unhappiness in the process of gaining happiness for ourselves. So, now, we can define Dharma as that which gives us both material prosperity and spiritual unfoldment.

But being in an alien country and being exposed to other cultures , where certain things what we feel is wrong is right for them ,.....it does get difficult to understand Dharma...in these contexts. I try to my level best analyse and talk to my daughter, who is the one facing the cultural difference, here.
    Here your expalnations come in handy! Thanks and keep the good work, for the likes of us!

9. Chitvish

Dear Sudha !

I fully understand the predicament of your daughter. I am not competent to talk about it. That is sadly the problem of many NRI children's cross-culture exposure !
    It is sad to see adharma springing up in every walk of life, in talk, action and behaviour. There is no denying that one's conscience is one's own guard.
    Every adharmic reaction, be it even a mischievous, purposefully wrong interpration of a normal words, are sure to hit us back - it is sufficient if we remember that.
    To make sure, you follow dharma, remember
    No debt in the Universe ever goes unpaid.
    As your deed is, so is your destiny.
    I am very happy that you have taken pains to read, understand and analyse the topic. I cannot thank, everyone who sends F b, in such detail, enough.
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Mrs.C,
    Its good to read your spiritual posts as always... I have seen many families pertaining to different religious orientation from various countries & I believe that there's the concept of Dharma in every religion & as with everything, religious codes are no exception to being "lost in transalation" down the generations. Although it was all started with the same goal(s), the interpretations have changed so much. Even the most conservative of people think its justified to kill as long as they can convince their conscience or atleast pretend to convince. Anyway this is just a pandora's box... very heavy thoughts indeed...
    Many families have raised wonderful kids even when exposed to cross-cultural environment. I would like to end my FB on the note that we have to do our "Dharma" and be a "Karma Yogi" to not expect fruits of our actions and then we will definitely find the peace one seeks (though it is more easily said than done).
    L. :)