What is culture?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, May 25, 2006.

1. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

great topic!

Dear Chitra,
    Very beautifully written piece on culture and what you think of it!! I agree with you on this aspect abt the inner nature and also that only education or external appearance do not always refine a person....Very well said words.....

And i too remember my moral science teacher in our college(it was a christian college!), would emphasise on buiding our personality! I used to wonder what that meant...but those words stuck to me....I realised slowly that it is not only external beauty and education which matters, but a kind of understanding this world and life and allowing our inner self to project itself in the long run!

I know i used to get scared of this term culture here....everyone here would appreciate me for bringing indian culture to this foreign land...but that did give rise to many questions in my mind and have been eternally searching and understanding, since i need to project myself in a right way to the little ones born and brought up here....who are exposed to a different culture . And i have never followed customs blindly, and i only have taken what i have felt is needed in this modern world! And the parents who are from the indian soil, are unable to explain and make their children understand all this. So i always tell the parents ,let them learn on their own, don't force our Indian values which they knew say 30 years ago , since these things have changed inindia itself! Just lead a good life and be a good example and the children will automatically imbibe that ...this is what i tell them and i do also ! And i know the children love me for that and are happy to listen when i really tell them something that is of worth!

I know that this is what you are emphasizing upon always...an d ia m happy to see your thread on culture !

More later...this is such an interesting and thought provoking thread , that i know i am going to come back to you on many points SOON!
    Thanks as usual for starting this...and You are such a cultured wonderful personality , Godsent blessing to all of us...really i mean it!

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

nukathadi/yoke

Dear Mrs Chithra,

And in the line of Shal's post, please allow me to share one bit of info from my mom. In our traditional weddings, there is one ceremony in which a nukathadi (I think yoke) is placed on the bride's head and water poured thru it. And old wives would exclaim, 'this is done to prepare her for the burdens of life and married life.'

I don't remember the exact names and details, but this ceremony rather than threatening women to carry burdens of life, is actually a purifying and empowering ritual.

Rishikaa Abaala was a descendant of Athiri maharishi. Since she suffered from a skin disease, her husband refused to accept her which made Abaala return to her parent's house. One morning, while returning home after bathing in the river, she saw a soma plant. She had wanted to offer soma rasam to Lord Indra that day.She plucked the leaves and chewed them, thus offering the rasam to the Lord. Indra, pleased by her offering, granted her three boons. Abaala's three wishes were, that hair should grow on her father's bald head, his dry lands should become fertile again to give a bountiful harvest and that her skin disease should be cured. Indra granted the wishes, to Abaala's delight. It is believed that the blessings were channelised to Abaala thru water thru a nukathadi from heaven.

The actual significance of this is that whatever sins, evil or dirt is accrued on the bride's body or heart, be it due to her own intent or promiscuity, or be it due to society's whims and traditions- she is cleansed of all that thru this ceremony and then married off as a chaste wife. And with this, her past ceases to be and she becomes a true wife. The mantram 'stree abala', is not 'weak woman'- rather it is 'stree Abaala'.

I am writing from memory from an article in Jnanbhoomi & Chennaionline many years ago, so there may be many small slips in names and details.But I hope I have the general intent and philosophy, more or less right.

Looking for expert opinions from you and Varalotti (where is he??).

love
    Vidya

Last edited: May 26, 2006
  3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hello Sudha !

I am very happy with your words of praise !
    I can only say " I asked God to send me a friend...God sent me I L " !
    I realise God is helping me LOVE others as much as He LOVES me !
    I know, I am getting emotional !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

thanku chitra for taking me back to those years again....

dear chitra,
    i worked my way to many of these cultures thru books [my father's collection] were many vivekananda,ramana's question and answer....been a grt eye opener....but still the inner voice kept provoking whether we r following all this blindly....is the ambal in the picture just a faith that i am taking after though she has been with me never felt her shaking me into realisation the way i had gone thru....one of ambal's film where k.r.vijaya acts set this rolling where sujatha is a maid and she also wants to do pooja to ambal and give her what she has and that is only some old water soaked rice with chillies to go with and ambal relishes all this but not the pomp inside...kept me wondering whether there is such a source which is making us follow or r we blindly following these things out of faith to be followed....then one afternoon i experienced the kundalini during my nap....my entire centre of head just burst open with millions and millions of energy coming out like a ball surrounding my head and going into the centre of my tongue....and the voice so deep DONT U BELEIVE THERE IS A SUPERNATURAL POWER is all it said and it took some time to subside i was completely shaken i dont know the name to it....but know its presence....and feel it within...to follow many things to come in my life....i have surrendered and now try to surrender even more and know she will take care....i am naming it she but it is not so....regards sunkan

5. Chitvish

Believe me, Vidya !

When I started this thread, I very much missed Sridhar today. I could have asked him to help me in this thread by sharing his ideas on this topic. Anyway after he gets back to Madurai, I plan to request him. I only pray to God, he obliges !
    My first round of topics will be
    Why a separate prayer room
    Why light a lamp
    Ahy prostrate before elders
    Why do naivedyam
    Why wear religious marks on the forehead
    to mention a few. I have about 20 in mind. After finishing them we will go into the ritualistic significance.
    Pray that we must have the benefit of Sridhar's input also from a general angle on the whole subject !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

6. Chitvish

Hello Sunkan !

I too strongly believe there is a Supernatural Power & we are, but instruments of the same !
    I am amazed to learn that you have experienced Kunadalini. You are really blessed.
    Thanks for the beautiful mail.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

7. sudhavnarasimhan

Sorry for butting in Chitra....but i honestly feel you are doing a wonderful job....of course Varalotti's cotribution, we all look forward to...but what Vidhya has shared is also seems to be so Correct in the interpretation, not to mention Sundari's outpourings....i am sure Sridhar is the one who is missing all this...ha ha!
    But apart from this, i think the topics you are outlinig are sme of the foremost in all our minds ...though each one of us have consoled ourselves and come to our oun understandings, still i personally don't want to let some of our good customs to die a natural death because of non usage or negligence. Wer fromthis generation have a responsibility to pass it on properly to our next one, just like our forefathers have done. In that Chitra you have takenthe lead and i am sure we will all devoutly follow you , while equally sharingour experiences or bothering you with our queries!

Am i glad that there is another interesting thread to share ourselves thru IL!

8. sudhavnarasimhan

Vidhya,

that was a very good explanation.....but i do wonder is there any equivalent for the Man also! Well anyway our Induslad is not here to defend his kind, so will live it for later....ha ha...
    But jesting apart, was really wondering why this custom for womenonly, dont the men have any part in stepping into this sacred commitment of marriage?
    Let me know, if u have any thoughts on this...
    .or Chitra what do u think!?

9. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

kitchen to puja to culture.....you are our Guru!!!!!

Dear Chitra,

You have chosen a topic which is very vast and I know only an experienced person like you can handle these. I’m happy & eager to learn from this thread toooo.

I’m sure this one will kind of complete the circle.

The opening mail itself is enlightening. The phrases on what is culture & the phrases on personality are beautiful. Unable to find/get an answer for a lot of questions relating to our culture, many of us have sidelined or lost interest or never bothered to understand a lot of our customs. Now, you seem to be our saviour.

Now that our kitchen & puja are taken care of, lets take off on a cultural trip now. We are all set to follow you, Chitra. I’m waiting to hear the answers for the first set of topics.

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> Love & regards, <!--[endif]-->

Last edited: May 25, 2006
  10. Chitvish

Hello Meena !

Thankyou fot your mail. You have correctly compared to a circle which has no brginning or end ! Your mails are scaring me - please bear in mind that I am not a " know-all", in fact far from it.
    Let us all start on an intersting mission in this thread to learn the basics of our culture.
    Love & respects,
    Chithra.