What is Bhakti ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Nov 23, 2006.

1. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra,
    That Thirumoolar quote was excellent! How do u manage to come up with everything so aptly and promptly ma'am! Thanks a ton!

Keep them coming!

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Believe me, Sudha....

My dear town Madurai is my lucky maskot !
    This time when I went to Madurai, I went to Sarvodaya Ilakkiya Pannai with Indhu ! I selected quite a few of Abdul Rahman's books and she was browsing Kannadasan's. They were also very nice & I ended up buying quite a few, finally !
    Just last night, I was reading one of those books which had this quote. I liked it immensely because the language is very simple.
    Sudha, honestly, I think these are Providential meaningful cincidences !
    Thanks for your appreciative post, Sudha !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

3. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

My dear Chitra,

Your answers to Preethi were so apt with examples. I feel only now I am understanding the subtle meaning in 'end-love' and' means love'. It takes a while to really digest these facts and understand the underlying meaning.
    Thanks and looking forward to the in-depth posts.
    Love,

4. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

neat and simple

Dear Chith,
    Your article on bhakthi is seemingly simple.As Meena said it takes more readings to completely grasp all the words. If your write up is trying to open slightly into advaitham your answers to Preethi is mind boggling
    Dear Preethi,
    There cannot be a good teacher if there are no ardent students .I was floored by your doubts. By your inquiring questions you have unwittingly challenged chithra to read more to find answers,
    ANd chith, Your Quotes are amazing. They are not only apt but simple. When you quote in mother tongue 'vedantha looks so accessible.
    Keep up the good work,Chith and keep asking questions,dear Preethi. Both of you make this thread very interesting.
    I enjoyed immensely.
    Regards,
    Meenu

5. Chitvish

My dear Meenu !

You have rightly said that Preethi's seemingly simple questions, did make me think deeply to give in simple words, yes, Advaita !
    Just the previous night, I was reading these quotes & enjoying them thoroughly. God willed that I should share them with all of you.

யான் பெற்ற இன்பம் பெறுக இவ்வையகம் !

Love & regards,
    Chith.

6. Surya

Surya Senior IL'ite

Dear Chitra,

When I read your post I was confused and couldn't grasp anything. But after reading your answers to preethi(that too read it many times hip hopping between your posts) , really, then only I was able to understand it fully. Bharathiar and thirumoolar quotes cleared the facts, “seek god in yourself”, “ god-love is self-love”. Most of us are still in the lowest grade of devotion finding happiness in worldly ends. Waiting to know more about “bhakthi-yoga”.

Regards,
    Kodi.

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Enjoyed this thread!

Dearest Chitra,

I must say that your contributions on Relegious and Spiritual forum is extremely interesting. I am also glad that you reproduced Preethi's pm to you and cleared all her doubts on Bhakti here so we too could read and understand better and enjoy them. Sometimes, we may not be able to put forth our doubts and questions and everyone's participation here makes it possible for all of us to learn and understand better. Thanks for the wonderful explanation given and also thanks to Preethi's curious mind:)

L, Kamla

8. Chitvish

My dear Surya !

Thankyou for the F B.
    Yes, the subject being abstract, understanding requires effort & determination.
    I am now reading lot of tamil "nools" to be able to quote in simple language.
    But please be free to ask me, whenever you are stuck. That is why, I go very slow with vedanta postings.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

9. Chitvish

My dearest Sujata !

You are right. Preethi's queries helped me analyse indepth. If I write too elaborate & long, the write up loses its charm & may look scary to read !
    So, please ask your doubts. But I repeat, I do have limitations !!
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

10. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

Thanks, Meenu & Kamla

Dear Meenu and Kamla,

Firstly thank you both for having appreciated my questioning !

Let me frankly admit to you both. I was more confused reading the concept of Bakthi (I am way behind all of you, to understand readings like this), Because of my confusion, to get better clarity , I decided to confuse chitra from my part (this is what I call, theliva kozhaparthu !)

I must admit, most of the Chitra's spiritual segments has an impact on me and I want to make use of her teachings effectively, what is the point in learning without understanding ? I was embarrased to ask such silly questions to her in public (when most of you write saying the posting was educative , I felt all the more stupid to even raise my hands for doubt !) , so I chose to write a PM, but chitra was gracious enough not to consider my questions silly, she also made an attempt to bring into all your view the clarifications for my doubts !

In fact, I thank you both to give me encouragement to ask such questions again, it makes me feel good to think that there are persons who can tolerate my nonsense ! :mrgreen:

Sure, in future, will not hestitate to raise any kind of stupid questions publicly, all because of support from people like you...(and later don't repent for giving this support..hehehehehe...)

Love,
    Preethi