What Is Best Option For Investment

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ProudIndian, Apr 19, 2023.

1. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Hello all

What is best option for investment for US citizen who may want to live in india in retirement. At least for few months every year. I don't have any apartment in india yet. Being single women I am little worried about buying in India.

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. swarnamary

swarnamary Gold IL'ite

investing in india is not as easy as it use to be as more restrictions are coming for u.s citizen and you need to have all kind of cards like adhar card,pan card i dont know what else but we are seeing lot of friends,relatives finding hard time to sell the properties over there,so if you are thinking about investing then lets see what other ILtes got to say about this.

one more investment is people usually buy the gold bars and keep it so they can sell it off when the prices go up..

ProudIndian and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Thank you @swarnamary for candid reply. I will think about it. I worked hard so many years in IT, saved also but when it comes to investment I feel so clueless.

Thyagarajan and swarnamary like this.
  4. swarnamary

swarnamary Gold IL'ite

Take your time and decide.have yourself a good secured retirement.:thumbup::thumbup:

5. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Investment across the globe is same
    Depending upon the risk you want to take investment vehicle will change
    Depending on the connections you have back home it will be easier to make decision
    Easiest FD

6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Over decades the established best growth seen in in investments made in real estate and metals mainly gold and silver.
    But gold and silver possessing it in any form invites threat from master-mind thieves. Even from bank vaults thieves could siphon it out easily.
    To safe guard those metals, one has to incur security costs n India and other Nations as well.

I have seen investment in the gold and silver growth has a large pay off with less hassle vis a via real estate and equities and mutual funds.

upload_2023-5-13_12-26-42.jpeg
    upload_2023-5-13_12-27-41.jpeg

ProudIndian likes this.
  7. sociallifein30s

sociallifein30s Gold IL'ite

well , if you are an indian citizen, you need to have all the cards anyway.... form 16, pan, aadhar etc.
    Anything in India, you will need these. So if yo uare even remotely doing/staying in India, you need to invest time to get them done. Maybe you can work with an agent to get those things done for you

Seconly, if you dont have a house yet, go get one. Thats one of the most important points in our checklist of must-have things. Maybe you will get an NRI loan easily. Get a loan, dont do the full payment. If you can afford, get it from some popular builders - mantri, aparna, prestige etc... so you dont have to do much background verification. Get it in one of those IT hub kind of areas so you can let it out for rent. If you take some fancy duplex, triplex houses, they may be good to live in, but not if you are outside the country and want to let it out.

Gold is always a safe investment.

Long term Mutual funds are a good investment.

commercial properties are apparently really good investment, but you need to learn the ropes of the "commercial" part of it well. f you are not around the property, then doubtful

Get a plot.

Thyagarajan and ProudIndian like this.
  8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Do you have your retirement planned out? Do you have a 401k/IRA with a good balance? How about health care savings, emergency funds etc? If you still are able to, I would look into the retirement savings. I also urge you to look at creating a good portfolio in the US. It’s easy to take money to India when you want it. For a few months a year, you can easily transfer when you actually go. Don’t invest a whole lot in a house in India even if you are spending a few months every year there. The upkeep and maintenance is a hassle that you do not want to deal with.
    As a single woman, keep your money close and keep it in the US.
    If you don’t already have a well balanced portfolio, mock your 401k and create one. If you do have one, don’t disburse money from it at this point.
    If you retire and are especially firm on moving to India permanently, don’t worry. Plenty of newer apts will be available then.

ProudIndian, hrastro and Thyagarajan like this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Thumbs up to this advice. I endorse these views in its entirety. Many NRIs invested in real estate buildings flats independent bungalows and many in outskirts of city . With their offsprings no intention to come and live in India and for lack of upkeep many of these turned dilapidated or and abandoned.
    In many cases, owners have expired in foreign nation and their children not at all interested in these properties.

Two flats in posh locality at close proximity to mine, the kitchen light is on continuously fir last three years but the owners with their son or and daughter in Toranto have no mind to return to India. Their total negligence and apathy caused skirmishes and bickerings among other flat owners living in that compound.

ProudIndian and Laks09 like this.
  10. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

True!
    In fact, by then you could even sign up with some retirement homes - nowadays they have a range of options - designed specifically for older people, well connected, medical, housekeeping, maintenance, wifi, food, yoga, walking paths etc included ...

Just evaluate a few and bookmark them for now - later when you actually retire and decide to visit India, you will have more control & options on what and where to purchase, rent, lease etc!

In the current market scenario - of course India is currently very lucrative as an investment - but I would suggest you to go for some other forms that you have more control over - Digital Gold, Mutual funds, stocks - do evaluate SIPs in some index funds

In fact, if you think India real estate is profitable - evaluate some infrastructure mutual funds or bonds instead of getting locked in physical land/apartments etc

Keep smiling
    HR