What is Atma? - Part 1

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Sep 6, 2007.

1. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra,
    Yet another wonderful concept with superb explanation.....i read it lastnight and dwelled on it, for reasons you know! I am trying really to comprehend all these aspects ,after watching death at such close quarters.....and we all felt this Atma concept so much, that i can explain here....it is something each one experiences deep within.....
    But though i know Atma is different, still this physical body is the one we relate to one another , for the sake of identity....and when death snatches away that identity , it leaves one bereft, though we know that the Atma is there somewhere?!
    Sorry i needed to get this out, and ur post just let me share my deep thoughts on this.....:oops:

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chitra,
    Rest assured that these topics arew difficult to comprehend & take little more time to understand.
    But my only request is, please don't give up, but try to sit, concentrate & learn. That is because these are life-lessons.
    Yes, Cheeniya has given a very clear example in his inimitable syle, which clearly explains, the difference in humanity !
    Love,
    to
    Chitra
    From,
    Chithra.

3. Chitvish

Dear Chitra,
    So sweet of you - my blessings to you, my dear young friend, my namesake as well.
    I am not brilliant at all - I am a vedanta student for more than ten years now.
    You are not a "M---u" at all - you are just a beginner !
    Poor Cheeniya Sir ! I am sure, he will avoid answering you !
    Love
    To
    Chitra
    From
    Chithra.

4. Chitvish

Dear Mals,
    First thanks for coming to this thread - you are a student of vedanta, it is clear to me now ! In your words
    It dwells in a body and still keeps it detached from all the activities.
    change the word it to itself - you are more clear !
    You got caried away in the right direction - no fears. Yes, though brief, Cheeniya's words are indepth analysis !
    Please stay tuned, Mals, if you have the time & inclination !:-D
    Love,
    Chits.

5. Chitvish

Dear Sudha,
    I can see that your recent experience has made you philosophical.
    Take a pot for example. After the pot breaks also, the pot space does not vanish but continues - Atma s just like that.
    But to identify a Jiva, it is necessary to ave a body-mind complex.
    Thanks for your F B, Sudha.
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Dear Chits,

Do not thank me for visiting this thread. It is a topic of my interest and this is what motivates me to live life fully and happily.

I take life as a stage, and me as a actor. I will do justice to my creator who has given me this form, do my job sincerely and exit happily with the confidence that I will be back on the same stage.

Thank God you have not fired me, I was a little apprehensive. Woke up early, logged in to check your reply..

I will be back to read more.:yes:

7. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear C

Many many thanks for describing Atma in such simple terms. It feels like I am starting to have a vague idea now. But, sure will have to read and re-read...

I remember reading MahaPeriyava once compare God to electricity - electricity cannot be seen, but we know that it exists when it glows a bulb. Similarly God can only be felt and one should not question the existance of God. Since it is non-dual, is Atma God? And what is the purpose of Atma to change forms until it attains Moksha?

-Gayathri.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  8. Chitvish

Dear Gayathri,
    Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate your trying your best to understand.
    God, Atma, Brahman are all different names for the same entity & non-dual as well.
    Moksha is liberation & that is attained when all the karmas are fructified by the body in various janmas & there is no more janma.
    Jiva is the Consciousness (Atma) in the microcosm.
    Iswara is the Consciousness (Atma) in the macrocosm.
    So they are one & the same. Thus Jiva & Iswara are one & the same. This recognition is called jiva-iswara-aikya-jnanam & is the topic of all scriptures.
    This non-dual (advaith jnanam) alone gives a permanent solution.
    Don't worry, Gayathri, we wil proceed slowly & understand better.
    Love,
    Chithra

9. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Dear Chith,
    I enjoyed reading about Atma with wonderful examples comparing atma to sun and mirror to mind.
    Looking forward to read more spiritual posts which gives a lot of peace to the mind.
    :thankyou2:

10. Chitvish

Dear Sindhuja,
    Thankyou very much for joining here !
    I am so hally that you enjoyed reading about Atma, all the more because of the subtle nature of the subject. Next week, second part continues. Please stay tuned !
    Love,
    Chith.