What is Atma? - Part 1

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shanti,
    I am very happy that you have enjoyed the post so much, inspite of the subject being very subtle ! Thankyou for the feedback.
    Love,
    Chithra.

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mrs.Chith,
    Once again you have come up with a very good example to explain 'Atma'. Sun-mirror and electricity-electric gadgets were very apt.
    waiting for other posts, meanwhile browsing through the previous posts.
    Sriniketan

3. Hamsadhwani

Hamsadhwani Senior IL'ite

Very informative post on Atma. I am reading it over multiple times to savor the essence of the post.

Thanks for sharing.

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra,

A wonderful wonderful explanation of Atma. You make it sound so easy and I feel I have understood everything. Of course, it will be vain to assume that I can recognise my Atma from me! It will take aeons for that, if ever!!
    You have given great examples and true, each one's mind is responsible as to how the same atma is reflected in the end. Cheeniya's example only adds to your write up.
    Looking forward to the continuation.

L, Kamla

5. Chitvish

Dear Bhargavi,
    Thankyou for the feedback.
    The simplest examples are Sun-mirror and electricity-electric gadgets. Cheeniya's example explains the non-uniformity.
    If you are keen on pursuing Gita threads, please read the previous posts for easy understanding.
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. Chitvish

Dear Hamsdhwani,
    Long time, no see?
    Well, no problem, take this in the lighter vain !!
    Thanks for applying yourself, to understand the essence of the post.
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Chitvish

Dear Kamla,
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Do not think, it is necessary to recognise atma ! Subject can recognise only object - subject cannot see itself ! Am I confusing you more?
    I cannot thank Cheeniya enough for illustrating with a beautiful, apt example.
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra
    :thankyou2: for starting this topic and explaining in your inimitable and excellent style. what can i say? thanks to you , an ordinary person like me can get a little understanding of such wonderful topics. It will take a much longer time for me to read and somewhat comprehend. cannot finish in one sitting. however i did not want to delay my appreciation and gratefulness. Also a special thanks to cheeniya sir who is adding merugu to your great post. still reading...

9. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra:
    "..the reflected light will be clear, only if the reflecting medium is equally clear. The mirror (here, our mind) is so clouded with impurities that the reflected light varies with every individual depending on his or her anatma. "
    you have so beautifully explained thru these lines that it touches me to read. please accept my online namaskarams. still reading..
    I wonder how 2 people with the same name and one is brilliant and the other is mandu (me:tongue ) how is it possible/ i'm sure cheeniya sir will come up with good answer.

10. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Dear Chits,

Just read your post on Atma. I have read Gita translated by Swami Chinmyananda and your explanation is perfect. Atma is the same for all human beings but the reflection is different as Cheeniya explains in just few words. I am so amazed with the properties of Atma. It dwells in a body and still keeps it detached from all the activities. Nothing can make it impure or pure, nothing can change is form, nothing can perish it. It will exist forever.

"Why are you crying on that dead body? Nothing is lost, the soul has just left this home to live in another. You have lost nothing, you will find it again one day, only time will tell when?"

Chits, let me close, I think I am getting carried away. Sorry if I have spoilt your thread.... Forgive me please.....

Bye for now and