What is Akshaya Thruthiyai ?

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Chitvish, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Panithuli,
    Any objection to the above name? If so, please write.
    Akshayam is written with only arisi mavu on the steel portion of the stove. Write it first thing in the morning or last hing at night, in which case, do not wipe off. My MIL used to put kolam, but "akshayam" appeals to me very much !

Now, please, don't you ever think that you have to offer only milk to Shiva for pradosham. Infact pradosham is an auspicious time for Shyamalai (Devi) & Narasimhar. My mother says offering pankam to Narasimhar on pradosham is very good. So, you can make anything that suits you. Just don't discuss it with your friend if she likes to contradict.
    For akshaya thridiyai, thayir sadam is special because it comes in the hot summer season!
    Please do not think, Gods will accept only their favourite naivedyam. No, no, no. Anything offered to God woith love & devotion is dearly accepted by him.
    Rest assured that you can never displease Gods at all.
    Love,
    Chithra.

2. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra,
    I was waiting to read your reply to dewdrop..., very well said Chitra,whatever we have for Naivedyam either payasam or sakarai pongal or simple dry fruits ,but we need to give with full of love.

Regarding writing Akshayam ,my mom also used to put a small kolam in Medai before she starts to cook in the morning.

3. Chitvish

Dear Mohana,
    Thankyou for joining us here.
    Previously kolam was the done thing. That ois also good. But akshayam sounds so meaningful!
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. Dewdrop

Dewdrop Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithra,

Thank you very much for replying ; now I'm so much relieved about the naivedyam aspect. Yes, 'akshayam' seems more solid :2thumbsup: than a simple kolam. Will start tonight itself.

And why would I mind you saying 'panithuli' ... in fact, I enjoy it as it instantly takes me back to my aunt's place in Ooty, where small droplets of ice [like javvarisi] used to rain. All memories of my 'ootyil looty' come rushing by ...:mrgreen:

With love ,
    Panithuli :wink: .

5. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

hi chith,
    some of them i know said only if u give gold as dhaanam it will increase ur gold.but some say its all about buyin gold so u can buy it for urself.
    please clear the doubt.
    luv
    pavi

6. Chitvish

Dear Pavi,
    As far as I know, any dhanam is good ! Gold dhanam is no where mentioned as the only suitable dhanam.
    Buying gold is auspicious, period.
    Love,
    Chithra.

some of them i know said only if u give gold as dhaanam it will increase ur gold.but some say its all about buyin gold so u can buy it for urself.
    please clear the doubt.
    luv
    pavi[/quote]

7. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Dear ChitVish,

Catching up again! Thanks for bringing out some many legends behind Akshaya Thrithiyai celebrations.

I have also heard of one more story from my patti, I am narrating it from what I remember. Once Lord Krishna was bathing in the river along with other friends and his dhoti gets washed away by the river currents. All His other friends return to their homes, but the Lord still is in the middle of the river wondering. Draupadi (before her marriage to the Pandavas) passes by and asks what's wrong, and Lord Krishna explains His situation. Draupadi takes pity on him and tears a part of her sari and gives it to Krishna , "Take this, Akshaya". It is said that Lord Krishna repays Draupadi during the Dushasana episode and that is the known story.

Thanks
    Vidya

8. Chitvish

Dear Vidya,
    I really appreciate your effort to catch up - this is how you endear yourself !
    The story of akshayam, you have given is very interesting !
    Remember, tomorrow is my posting day again !
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. goldenangel

goldenangel Senior IL'ite

Akshaya trithiyai

Hi ILites
    May 8th is Akshaya trithiyai.So a small info on what to do on that day.Hope it will be useful to you all.
    The word Akshaya means that which never diminishes - hence beginnings made or valuables bought on this day are considered certain to bring luck and success.
    This day is specially important as on this day any thing you donate is shaya or never ending.

Akshaya Tritiya marks the beginning of the Treta Yug.
    The birthday of Parashurama, the sixth incarnation of Vishnu falls on this day. This is one of the most auspicious days according to the Hindu calendar.
    So this day is considered auspicious for starting new ventures and making new purchases.

<TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 100%; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; mso-padding-alt: 0cm 0cm 0cm 0cm" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.6pt; mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 100%; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.6pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width="100%"><TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 90%; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; mso-padding-alt: 0cm 0cm 0cm 0cm" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="90%" border=0><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #faec9a 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 2.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #faec9a 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 2.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.6pt; BORDER-LEFT: #faec9a 1pt solid; WIDTH: 100%; PADDING-TOP: 0.6pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #faec9a 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid #FAEC9A .5pt" width="100%">On this day articles given, in form of alms, dakshina to guru, these things include grain, money and donations.

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"></v:path><o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 10.8pt; HEIGHT: 7.8pt" type="#_x0000_t75" alt=""><v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\SARASW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://www.rudraksha-ratna.com/images/bullet.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>Anushtaans done for Mahalaxmiji, the Godess of wealth, will be beneficial for blessings of prosperity all year round
    Visit Mahalaxmi temple, and 4 coins should be thrown in all 4 directions, this will open doors to wealth.
    <v:shape id=_x0000_i1027 style="WIDTH: 10.8pt; HEIGHT: 7.8pt" type="#_x0000_t75" alt=""><v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\SARASW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://www.rudraksha-ratna.com/images/bullet.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>Chanting Anang mantra "Om Hloum Hloom Anangaay Phat" makes one physically fit and reduces impotency problems.
    <v:shape id=_x0000_i1028 style="WIDTH: 10.8pt; HEIGHT: 7.8pt" type="#_x0000_t75" alt=""><v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\SARASW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://www.rudraksha-ratna.com/images/bullet.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>Married women wear a red thread with vermillion around their necks and invoke good wishes in a Shiv mandir for longevity of their husbands.
    Unmarried ones put it on the feet of Lord Shiva to get the husband they wish for.
    <v:shape id=_x0000_i1029 style="WIDTH: 10.8pt; HEIGHT: 7.8pt" type="#_x0000_t75" alt=""><v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\SARASW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://www.rudraksha-ratna.com/images/bullet.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>Visit Shiv mandir with neem leaves and after offering to Shiva put under the pillow of a sick person, the person will recover from his illness and evil eyes.

<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 1; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 100%; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width="100%">

Akshya tritiya is observed when tritiya prevails more before the noon.
    Whoever worships lord Krishna and applies chandan all over lord <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place> goes to vaikuntha.
    Any japa, homa, pitru tarpana, or Dana done that day become a-kshaya means he earns lots of good karma that day.
    Om sree mahalakshmiye namaha

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  10. geeth

geeth Senior IL'ite

Dear chithra mam,
    Your post about Akshaya Thruthiyai gives me a good information about which i have not heard during my childhood untill four years back. when i heard the term it was new to me and it gave me an impression that it was a marketting technique to attract gold lovers. Only now from your posts and others i come to know that there is a great story and information behind it. thanks a lot mam

regards
    geeth