1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

what indian food to carry on vacation of 2nights/3days?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by pman16, Dec 22, 2009.

1. theamma

theamma Bronze IL'ite

I am a vegetarian and know the problems when you go on vacation. The rice cooker is a must. You can make rava uppuma in that besides the rice. Heat the oil in a frypan (At home,when you get things ready for the vacation) add the mustard seeds, urad dal and red pepper pieces. You can add curry leaves, peanut and green hot pepper pieces and chopped ginger, but don't add onion. When the mustard seed pops and urad dal gets golden, add 1 or more cup rava or sooji, and mix with the spices. Stir for a few minutes. Turn off the stove, when the rava is a little brown. Cool this, add the needed salt and pack in a ziplock bag. Take this with you. The first day you can eat yogurt rice, then the ever-helpful puliyodarai, then you can make the uppuma in the rice cooker. All you have to do is boil the water in the rice cooker, and when it boils add this pre-made uppuma mix.Cook it like rice. You can get frozen peas and carrots from any store nearby and can add that to the uppuma. If you like picles, take a bottle with you and you can have Indian vegetarian food. May be not the Best, but something you like. You can also make some pooris which can be eaten when you reach the hotel. Won't taste the same as fresh, but it is another item!

2 people like this.
  2. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

my dad does not eat anything from outside, except for baked potatoes and pizza:bowdown

and we've been on numerous trips so, like the other posters have mentioned, my mom tugs a rice cooker with her, so kootu curry w/o any coconut, achars, and yogurt in a little cooler. Bread, butter, jam comes in handy as well.

3. AlicaHorsfall

AlicaHorsfall New IL'ite

I'm not a big fond on food items like this, actually for me lemon rice and vegetables salad is enough for me.