1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

What healthy meal did I eat today

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by shivachoubey, Jun 11, 2010.

1. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sansam,

I got quiona from Spinneys, you can also check in carrefour.

No idea dear.

We make it with turmeric and coriander powder only. 2 tsp coriander power and 1/2 tsp turmeric. It should be enough to cover the cauliflower florets.

Yeh, I am gonna upload the recipe soon.

I make all vegetables and I make them the traditional Punjabi way the difference being that they are cooked in 2 tsp of oil. I was hesitating to upload daily recipes but you seem so interested. I will upload it for you in this thread.

North Indians, make use of roasted cumin powder, garam masala(homemade) and ginger -garlic to get that particular taste. Henceforth I will be measuring everything and uploading it here so that it becomes easy for you to cook.

Please feel free to ask questions. I am glad to always help.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

2. shivachoubey

Dear Ridha,

I buy Everest brand. Thanks a ton for updating me about the bleaching thing. I usually boil water and add salt to it and then leave cauliflower in it for 5 - 10 minutes. But will increase the time now.

The roasted cumin powder, garam masala powder is made at home. I am soon uploading daal makhni recipe in that I will give the garam masala recipe.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

3. shivachoubey

Dear Aswini,

I have quiona at home I will give this a try. This will add a twist to my lentil pancakes. Have to try your brown rice dosa as well. Thanks for the info hon.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

4. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

I am so glad that you enjoyed brown rice dosa. I personally feel these simple modifications will lead to a healthier lifestyle for the whole family.

Here are some of my healthy dosa versions:

Oats Dosa: I either use Oats flour or grind oats. You can use rolled oats. Soak them for 15 mins and grind it in a blender. I add these to leftover dosa. But you won't get crispy dosas because of oat grains. Its more soft.

Want more fibre?? add oat bran/wheat bran to the dosa batter.

Oats Adai is another favorite. ChitVish has lots of Oats recipes and I love them all.

I make dosas with combination of flours. I just pick whatever flour is in the pantry. My usual combos(mix and match) are Wheat flour, Rye flour, Oats Flour, Soy Flour,Jowar Flour, Urad Flour. I add fruit salt to get soft and fluffy dosas.

You can grind Urad dal alone and ferment it. Later add any flour (Jowar,Wheat,Ragi etc.,) and make dosas.

Enjoy Healthy Dosas!
    Aswini

5. sheshin

sheshin Gold IL'ite

Hi Shiva, great thread. Lots of healthy recipes to try.

Hi baby1, I have one version of brown rice pulao recipe:

Soak 1 cup brown rice in hot water for 1 hour. You can use vegetables like carrot, beans, corn, peas and soya chunks. Make them to 2 cups. Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a cooking vessel add 3 cloves, 3 cardamom, finely chopped onion and 3 or 4 green chillies fry well. Add vegetables and fry for 3 or 4 minutes. Add drained rice fry for 2 minutes. Add 21/2 cups water and salt to taste. Bring it to boil then simmer and cook covered until done. Serve with curd raita.

6. sri112

sri112 Junior IL'ite

Hey Shiva,

I have a Punjabi friend and I loved her aloo gobhi subji which she used to get for lunch. Once we were invited to her home for lunch and I saw how she prepared it. She used to fry both the potatoes and cauliflower florets in oil till they turned crisp. And then add them to the onion-masala combo and they used to taste heavenly! Thats when i realised even though i tried using all the masalas she suggested why mine dint taste as hers. But then seeing the amount of oil consumed i decided even though less tastier mine was definitely the healthier version!
    Nice pictures here...The aloo gobhi looks tempting.

7. Ridha

Ridha Senior IL'ite

hi shiva,
    thnx for the reply.i vll surely try nd let u know.actually i was going to ask some questions sansam have already asked.so glad to know that u vll upload ur recipes............eagrly waiting for ur yummy recipes
    regards
    ridha

8. nimmimoorthy

nimmimoorthy Platinum IL'ite

please provide the dalhiya recipe. iam searching and nowhere reaching.:bonk

9. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

Hi Baby1,

Sorry I missed your post. But sheshin has given a wonderful pulao recipe here. I make a similar one with all masalas. I boil the rice separately and add to the vegetable masala when the rice is 75% done and let the rice blend with the masalas. The problem with brown rice is you will not get fluffy long rice like white rice (Atleast I haven't gotten it).

Thanks,
    Aswini

10. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Nimmi,

This is the way I make my Dhalia with vegs

Dhalia - 1 cup
    Moong dhal - 1/2 cup
    Vegs of your choice like carrot, beans etc - 1 cup
    Green chilles - according to taste
    Salt
    Garam Masala pd or Bisi bele bath pd - 1 - 2 tsp
    Turmeric pd - 1/2 tsp

to temper

oil 1 tsp
    mustartd seeds - 1/2 tsp
    Jeera - 1/2 tsp

Fry moong dhal lightly in a dry kadai and keep it aside. Heat oil in a pressure pan and temper. add vegs and fry well. Add the moong dhal & Dhaia and mix well. Add water (1 cup dhalia : 3 cups water). Add green chillies, garam masala pd, salt and allow to boil. Once it start boiling close the pan and put the wieght. Switch off after 1 whistle.

After cools open, add coriander leaves for garnishing and serve with curd or raitha.

This makes a delicious and sumptous meal.