1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

What healthy meal did I eat today

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by shivachoubey, Jun 11, 2010.

1. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

Yet another healthy dosa with the wonder grain Quinoa. I read this in a blog and made some modifications.

Quinoa Dosa:

Quinoa - 2 cups
    Apple cider vinegar - 1 tbsp ( you can use yogurt too) (I read that this is added for some phyto chemical reaction - not sure what exactly that it).
    Urad Flour - 1/4 to 1/2 cup
    Fruit salt - 1 tsp
    Salt - to taste

Soak quinoa with apple cider vinegar for water 2 hours. You could soak it for less time also but make sure you see quinoa sprouting.

Grind it to a fine paste.

Add urad flour to it and mix well. This is optional. the original recipe didn't require this. But I found adding urad flour made it better.

Add salt as required.

Add Fruit salt. This is optional too. I add this to get a soft dosa. Otherwise this dosa will be like like wheat flour dosa little dense and sticky.

do not ferment the batter and make dosas immediately.

Quinoa has nutty flavor and I felt the best combo would be some spicy chutney - Onion chutney and Red Bell pepper chutney are my picks.

2. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

I am not sure how basmati would work for this. I always thought basmati rice was not for any tiffins. Don't know why though. You can try and let us know. :)

I think the only thing that matters is whether it fermented or not. Usually I leave it overnight. So, thats why I said 8 hrs. Btw, how do you make it ferment quicker? Tell me the trick too.

Aswini

3. Vidya21

Vidya21 Senior IL'ite

Thanks Aswini. I've already left the thing to soak at home, so lets see how it turns out.

To help it ferment, I leave it in a preheated oven, add some fruit salt, a small piece of bread, or add some dry yeast etc because its hard to get it to ferment enough on its own in 8 hours in the cold weather.

A friend of mine swears by leaving it beside plants in the sunlight etc LOL - her theory is that helps fermenting because there are more yeast around plants :crazy. Another actually uses the green chillies that are sorta blackening their skin (gasp!), she dips the blackening green chilli into the batter saying its "inducing natural yeast colonies" :crazy. Not sure I'd try either of them, but they both make the best dosas ever.

4. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Hi Everyone,

@Aswini and Vidya21,

Awesome recipes and thanks for moving the thread. Aswini, if we ferment quiona in apple vinegar won't it get sour. Let me know. I have both in my house so will love to give it a try.

When I was a child, this used to be the hot favorite train food. Mom would pack, aloo gobhi sabji with puri. It was made with lots of oil, and then aloos were fried in oil, and then little masala and then cauliflower will be added and will be fried till crisp. The exotic smell of food and the lovely train journey. At 8:00pm, dinner time, the cardboard box will taken out drenched with oil. The paper napkin will be there and the paper plates, when the food will be served the plates also used to get covered with oil. The food will be served with aam ka achar and besan sev. Lovely meal with loads of oil.

I really associate food smell with childhood memories. Thats what makes it so interesting, the smell and the taste never changes.

Today I made , aloo gobhi with 2 tsp oil along with multigrain roti. A close call to the original recipe.

Aloo gobhi was made the simlar way, the twist was that I cut the potatoes length wise and microwaved them for 3 minutes and then added to the dish. Then once the masala was added I poured little water to get a thick consistency and then the cauliflower. Then coated the cauliflower nicely with with the masala and left it covered to cook. The sabji came out to be crisp and damn tasty. Just the way as the original one with lots of oil.

Potato, green chillies, cauliflower, ginger paste, garlic paste.

[​IMG]

In 2 tsp oil, add the cummin seeds, then ginger garlic paste, the the microwaved potatoes. Added the masala and then little water to make the thick paste.

[​IMG]

Then added cauliflower and coated it well. Then covered it for few minutes on medium flame to cook. Don't forget to check and flip the sabji. Cook till crisp and done.

[​IMG]

DH's plate, with 2 multigrain roti and curd and yes we have our roties with ghee.

[​IMG]

Do You Know - Cauliflower is very low in calories. 100 g of fresh cauliflower has only 26 calories. However, it is very low in fat and contains no cholesterol. Its flowerlets contain about 2 g of dietary fiber per 100 g; providing about 5% of recommended value. The flower heads contains numerous health benefiting phtyo nutrients such as indole-3-carbinol, sulforaphane etc that help prevent prostate, ovarian and cervical cancers.
    [Source: Google]

Bon Apetite!!!.

5. deep2008

deep2008 New IL'ite

could u please tell what quinoa is?I have never heard this word before.kudos to u for inspiring we Ilites to shed weight.I am also making up my mind to practice restrain in my intake of food.I am a great foodie andI want to reduce my weight.right now I am on vacation & I am going to follow in your footsteps if i can once i get back home.
    thanks
    deep2008

6. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear Deep2008,

If you are referring to me in your appreciation than thanks alot babes. See you soon of the weight loss thread.

Quiona is called the mother of grains and is supposed to be very nutritional. Sadly, I doubt it is available in India easily.

A ½ cup serving of dry quinoa has approximately 11 grams of protein. Quinoa contains potassium, magnesium and manganese. [Source: Google]

Interesting facts - Quinoa was of great nutritional importance in pre-Columbian Andean civilizations, being secondary only to the potato, and was followed in importance by maize. In contemporary times, this crop has become highly appreciated for its nutritional value, as its protein content is very high (12%–18%). Unlike wheat or rice (which are low in lysine), quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it an unusually complete protein source among plant foods.<sup id="cite_ref-NASA_3-0" class="reference"></sup> It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is gluten-free and considered easy to digest. [Source: Wiki]

It is associated numerous benefits.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps.

Have a great day ahead.

Waiting for you at the weight loss thread.

regards

7. sansam

sansam New IL'ite

Dear Shiva,Have any idea where you get to buy quinoa in abudhabi?I have heard apple cider vinegar helps to lose weight.Any idea on this?Liked your aloo gobi recipe.Can you tell me the approx amount of masalas used.I am a South indian .I really love North indian curries and sabjis.I always have North indian thaali when eating out as I can taste various North indian dishes.Now I have restricted eating out to once a month.Please give recipes for healthy dal makhni,rajma etc.What are the subji's you usually make?Is the method the same for all?Do you just change the combinations of vegetable?.Your help will be greatly appreciated.sorry for asking so many questions.

8. Ridha

Ridha Senior IL'ite

shiva,
    u have started another thread .........gud yaar.ur sabji looks delicious.i like all type of northindian sabjis.thnx a lot.btw what masala u use?readymade ones,if so pls tell me the brand.
    dh was telling me that in the veg market they dip cauliflower in bleach to retain its freshness,i mean in most parts of our country..........so everyone,if ur not doing this,keep the cauliflower,infact all the veggies nd fruits in salt water atleast 15-30 mins before cooking/eating.

9. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

No Shiva. It doesn't get sour since we just add a tablespoon of vinegar. And yes, drain the soaked water after soaking it for an hour or so and then grind. You can try omitting it and just soaking it in water. As I said, I read that it was for some kind of chemical reaction.

You can get as innovative as you want. sometimes, I add oats to it and make Oats-Quinoa dosa. Some times I add regular leftover dosa batter. As I had mentioned, I love anything in the form of dosas. So I make some crazy combos. Try it and make your own modification as you like.

Love you aloo gobhi sabji.

Aswini

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  10. Vidya21

Vidya21 Senior IL'ite

Aswini,

Your brown-rice dosa recipe (though with the basmati-brown because that's what I had at home LOL) was a hit last night! They were the best, crispiest dosas ever, and nutritious; also, I was somehow able to make them without a drop of oil, yet they remained crispy. Thanks for the inspiration.

I wanted to post some pictures of them, LOL, but we were so hungry last night, we gobbled them up before we realized there were none left to take pictures of! :rotfl

When you add oats, how do you do it? Could please write a small post about the combos you make? I'd love to try some.

P.S. Apologies about bugging you like this, but this sounds very good and nutritious, so I'd love to learn something!! Thanks to this thread, we're making a conscious choice at eating healthier every meal.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010