1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

What healthy meal did I eat today

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by shivachoubey, Jun 11, 2010.

1. baby1

baby1 Bronze IL'ite

Dear shiva, thank you so much for introducing me these new food names : Tabuleh, mutabil, tahini paste, fatush salad, wholewheat pita bread. Even though I stay in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">abu dhabi</st1:place></st1:City> I did not try it.
    and also, is the bread in the picture is made of wholewheat only? Because I guess this bread that we get here is made of maida. Pls clarify me how to look for such whole wheat pita bread as I did not see any ingredient on that bread when I purchased it. ingredient was written just flour.

And thank you shiva for brown fried rice recipe. Will try it too. Pls tell me where I can get this brown rice here. How to look for it here in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">abu dhabi</st1:place></st1:City>?

dear ashwini, thank you so much for the healthy version of bisibele bath recipe with bulgur wheat. Will try it soon as I love all SI food. Thanks for telling us how to make it without rice.
    Also ashwini, pls tell us how to make brown rice biriyani and pulaos and pls put here if there is any other brown rice recipes.

Looking forward to more of healthy recipes. Soon will include here mine too.

Dear gauri, thanks for the sattu recipe. I guess it is bit lengthy process making it at home.

And dear Mrs., thank you for clarifying the doubt on eggplant.

2. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear Baby1,

You are in Abu DHabhi, you should definitely give it a try. Its available at most food joints. There something called as Mixed Meze, in that they give all the salads accompanied with the bread.

You can also find the stuff in carrefour fresh food section, near the bakery.

Carefour and Al safeer, Spinneys bakery keep whole wheat pita bread but its not 100% whole wheat. You can try out outside and then make it at home. Mixed grain roti can replace pita bread. On the packet it will be written Whole Wheat Khaboos and it will look brown in color.

Its available at Carefour and Al Safeer. I got the Kohinoor Brown Basmati rice from Al Safeer, there are other brands available.

Hope this helps.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

3. baby1

baby1 Bronze IL'ite

will definitely look for it next time i visit these malls. thank you shiva.
    i know khaboos. but always i thought that it is not good for health. so afraid of making practice of eating it often. Is it ok to eat khaboos? Is it healthy? Pls tell me.

So khaboos itself is whole wheat pita bread? And you mean they have written whole wheat in the ingredient? I must see it next time shiva.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  4. shivachoubey

Dear Baby1,

Its like bread. The white one is made of maida, I do not eat it often. Its just an emergency thing for me. But when you go out to eat then its far better than having a Naan.

Not in the ingredients. Its written big on the packet, WHole Wheat Khaboos, but remember its half whole wheat and half white flour.

whenever I am out, people order pizza or chole bhature I order Mixed Meze which comes with a khaboos. So, its becomes a lighter version of eating outside food.

regards

5. mankan

mankan Gold IL'ite

i was going thru your recipes...made me remember all arabic food,specially hummus and khaboos.i really miss it..this was my favourite food when i was in dubai.
    here i dont get any of these things...if we get that too very very far only in 1 or 2 restaurants.here we dont get any fast food like in
    dubai it was easily available.
    if we go out we have to opt for fresh fruits.but i am happy as it helps me not to take unwanted calories...and i am not tempted to eat outside food when i am in india too. i am happy that i have a control on myself. but still my weight loss is very very slow.

yes i wanted to share one recipe.

i dont get jowar and bajra so i use makka flour which easy available.
    i add boiled moong [green] to flour,veges like carrot,spinach,mint coriander,green chilli, salt. mix it water make a dough and make a roti out of it,with 2- 3 drops of oil.have it with mint chutney.

thanks.

6. shivachoubey

Dear Mankan,

Lucky girl. Being out of temptation is great and all those lovely fresh fruits, wow. Your recipe sound interesting, I have makkai flour at home so will give it a try.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

7. Sanjeeta

Sanjeeta New IL'ite

Hi,

Nice to come to your page. I think I need quite some time to read all your interesting articles here. But sure will do it.
    very informative reads. Best wishes.

Take care, keep connected
    sanjeeta kk

8. shivachoubey

Dear Sanjeeta,

Thank you so much dear for your appreciation.

I am glad you found my blog interesting.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

9. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

Hello ppl,

Here is the brown rice dosa recipe.

Brown Rice Dosa:

Long/Medium grain brown rice ( NO basmati pls :) ) - 4 cups
    Urad Dal - 1 cup
    Poha - 1 cup
    Methi seeds - 1 tsp

Usually we make dosa batter with Boiled rice. But this brown rice is raw rice ( I think!! ). So here is how I do it.

Parboil brown rice - Just wash it and microwave it for 5 mins. Soak it for 30 mins in the same hot water. Drain the hot water.

Then add urad dal and poha. Add enough cold water and soak it overnight or soak it in the morning and grind in the evening.

Ferment the batter for 8 hrs before making dosas.

Make dosas the usual way. I find that the brown rice dosas taste equally good as the normal dosas.

Enjoy!

10. Vidya21

Vidya21 Senior IL'ite

Thanks Aswini! I so want to try this.

P.S.I. Am I doomed if I use basmati brown rice?
    P.S.II. Will the dosa-gods frown on me if I use something to make it ferment quicker?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010