1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

What healthy meal did I eat today

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by shivachoubey, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hey Aswini, Thanks for the healthy Bisi Bele Bhat recipe. It is one of my most favorite dishes and now I can make it the healthy way!

For all who wanted to know how to make sattu, here is what I learnt from my mom.

Wash and soak dehusked barley and then dry it in the sun. Separately wash and soak the gram and dry that in the sun too. Roast and powder them separately. Finally mix them together in whatever ratio you prefer. Traditionally it is either 1:1 or 2:1 with the barley flour being twice as much as the gram flour. That is essentially what sattu is.

Sattu can be used to make all sorts of tasty dishes, my favorite being 'sattu ke parathe'.

1 cup sattu powder
    green chillies
    garlic
    1 Pickled stuffed red chilli (We call it bhara mircha. This ingredient is used purely to add spice and can be substituted or removed entirely without affecting the recipe too much.)
    finely chopped onion
    Ajwain (Carom seeds, Oma, Omam, Ajwana) - 0.5 tsp
    Cumin - 0.5 tsp
    Mustard oil - 1 tbsp
    Lime juice - 1 tbsp
    salt

Make a very soft elastic dough with wheat flour. Pound the garlic and chillies. Pound the dry masala separately. Mix all the ingredients together and stuff in a paratha. Enjoy absolutely yummy parathas.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
    gpallavi2 likes this.
  2. smartgrl

smartgrl Bronze IL'ite

This is what i ate today..i was too damn hungry after workout.
    so as soon as i stepped inside home,
    I took a fist of rice,fist of toor dhal,fist of moong or masoor dall
    added all the veggies i had in fridge,like carrots,beans,cpsicum,mushroom,cabbage,brocooli,brinjal,radish,spinach,bottle gaurd,mint,corrinader anything of your choice and any quantity of ur choice
    along with it add cumin seeds,turmeric,salt,chille powder or i spoon sambhar powder and water and let it cook for 2 whistles..

by the time i had shower,my lunch was ready within 15 min..
    hope u all like it..
    very healthy and no oil at all:bonk

3. Vidya21

Vidya21 Senior IL'ite

Shiva, I loved the idea of making the sabudana-vadas. Those are a favorite at my home. I'm thinking I could also make falafel using that method! I'll try and let you know.

In the meantime, here is one healthy breakfast idea I use often:

Frittata with Seasonal veggies:

First, make a spicy green-chutney using coriander (cilantro), chillies, cumin-powder, lemon-juice, salt and a dash of olive-oil. You could really add anything that you fancy - garlic, tomatillos - go with your taste.

For the frittata: use 2-3 eggs, an onion (very finely chopped), zucchini slices, cauliflower florets, broccoli florets, asparagus, potatoes (very thinly sliced) - basically any veggies that you can grill, you can use in this. Use your imagination on what will go with the eggs. You can use some nuts too.

To cook this: Use an ovenproof skillet. I use a small 6-8" cast iron skillet that can go both on the fire and in the oven - you want to use one that will let the frittata be about 2" or more in depth - so use a small diameter skillet.

1. Preheat the oven to 450 F
    2. Saute onions in the ovenproof skillet on medium heat until they're soft, add other veggies (in the order of time they take to cook - you want the veggies to be slightly crunchy and semi-cooked when all is done - so no more than 2-3 minutes on the fire), add salt, add whisked eggs to this mixture, let it set, and stir when it just begins to set.
    3. Finally, when it is just about to set, add the cilantro chutney on top. You could add some nuts, cheese if you fancy (but it tastes just as great without). Add a few thinly sliced potatoes on top too - helps to make it crunchy.
    4. Finally, slide the skillet in the oven for 10-ish minutes until the frittata is all set. You can insert a needle in the middle and see if it comes out clean to make sure that its cooked.
    Remove from oven, slice, and enjoy the frittata for a wholesome brunch/breakfast.

P.S. Aswini, yes - brown-rice-dosa recipe please (for that matter, any brown-rice recipes please)!!

4. mrs

mrs Bronze IL'ite

about eggplant, i never knew it is a source of folic acid and potassium. since i like it very much i had taken a lot of eggplant while pregnant. but later after delivery everybody told me that because i took eggplant in more number my baby was born dark. but folic acid is the most advisable medicine in pregnancy for a healthy baby. what do say on this matter? does eating eggplant in pregnancy cause dark colour in baby? pls reply.[/QUOTE]

Dear baby1

The colour of the skin,hair and eyes ( I mean iris ) is determined soon after fertlisation.It has nothing to do with egg plants. Be happy that your baby would have got all the nutrients from those vegetables you ate. regarding carrots, shiva has got a recipe for tomato soup in low cal recipe section. That also has carrots in it. Its a good one try it.

regards,
    Mrs

5. vijianand

vijianand Senior IL'ite

WOw !!!! Nice thread Shiva!!!!! This will surely help out in eating healthy.
    For lunch I made salad with spinach, grape tomatos, rajma and chholea handful of whole grain pasta and few small pieces of tofu.
    I made a tangy dressing with fat free sour cream, fat free hung curds,little salt, some pepper powder and juice of 1/2 lime.
    This thread will serve the purpose of deciding a healthy menu too!!!!
    Thanks for starting this .

Aswini,
    You have mentioned about dosas with brown rice. Could you please give the measure and procedure here.... Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Viji

6. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

@ Aswini - Amazing, omg my mouth is watering now. This taste so yum. I am gonna make it too. Wow.

@Gauri03 - Thank you so much. Baby1 was looking for this recipe and for that matter I wanted to make it too. Its one healthy dish.

@Vidya21 - Wow. I am happy to see so many healthy recipes.

@Viji - Did you make sour cream at home. If yes then please share the recipe of fat free sour cream. The salad dressing sounds yum.

This is a quick pics of the Arabic salads, I am going to make the same version with multigrain roti.

Hamus Recipe can be found here - Give Me Some Sunshine, Give Me Some Butter on My Bread. - IndusLadies

Tabuleh - As you can see in the picture, its lots and lots of finelly chopped parsley, with tomato and burgur wheat. When I make at home I do not add the burger wheat. Salt and then little lemon (if you want).

Mutabil - It is made of roasted eggplant. We roast the egg plant on gas like the way we do for bharta. You can use 1 big egg plant. 2 garlic cloves. 2 - 3 tsp olive oil, 2 tsp tahini paste, salt, 1 lemon juice.

If you do not have tahini paste, then just make a paste with sesame seeds (3 - 4 tsp). Then add the other stuff and make a smooth paste. It becomes like a dip and can be kept in a fridge for 3 -4 days. The traditional method use oil to make the mixture smooth, but if it is very thick then add in little curd to make it smooth.

1. Fatush Salad - Made of capcicum, cucumber, tomato, salad leaves, salt and lemon. You can also add in green chillies and some crushed mustard (remember the taste is pungent). I use lots of lemon, it tastes so good. The real way to make it is to add fried crispy bread which I omit.

[​IMG]

2. Today in a rush, sorry guys Thursday and Friday is weekend so wasn't able to cook the multigrain roti. This is wholewheat pita bread. 1 tsp hammus and 1 tsp mutabil. I spread it nicely on the pita bread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Nicely spread the tabuleah and then lots of fatush

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Fold the bread. It becomes huge with the stuffing. The first plate is of my husband and the
    second plate with half pita bread is mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How does it taste - Its not very spicy. The hamus and mutabil have their earthy flavors.

Why I like it so much is because not much cooking is required. As hammus and mutabil make use of olive oil its damn healthy. Moreover with this much raw stuff my stomach is full.

Tabuleh is mainly made of parsely. I have eaten an Indian version in India. Where they gave the normal beans- carrot sabji along with it because parsley I guess is difficult to get there. You can add any sauteed vegetables if you want. This is one of my frequent meals.

If you look at it 1 damn pita bread is attached to hell lot of amount of salad.

Do you know - Olive oil contains the monounsaturated fatty acid oleic acid
    ,antioxidants such as vitamin E and carpotenoids, and oleuropein, a chemical that prevents the oxidation of LDL particles. It is these properties that are thought to contribute to the health benefits of olive oil.
    [Source: Wiki]

7. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shiva,

Great thread..I had not noticed this at all.

Instead of Parsley in the above recipe may be we can add some greens like pudina & coriander or spinach alongiwth some vegies. What do you say?

8. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Aswini,

Thanks for the bisebelebath. This is my MIL's favourite. We have it atleast once in a week. She uses loads of vegetable and adds just one spoon of broken wheat instead of rice. It tastes awesome and my hubby keeps asking her 'Ma is this bisibele rice, I am unable to find rice :)'

9. shivachoubey

Dear Lalitha,

Yes dear feel free to make the changes.The more creative you get the more yummy its going to get. If you made any changes and they came out good please let me know.

In US, they serve the maida bread with lots of spinach and cheese. So, Spinach will go along good with it but make sure its blanched I have my doubt if raw would taste good.

You can add finely chopped pudhina, coriander and green chillies for a twist.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

10. shivachoubey

Hi,

Today I made Brown fried rice. I made it the way Chinese fried rice is made the only difference being that I used brown rice instead of white and added lots of veggies.

[​IMG]

The recipe can be found here

Brown Fried Rice. - IndusLadies

The rice has lots and lots of vegetables. I also sometimes add sprouts. The idea is that we eat lots of vegetables with less or moderate amount of rice. Including lots of vegetables also ensures full stomach with less calories.

Do you know - Brown rice has the bran intact, it has more fiber than white rice. One cup of brown rice has 3 1/2 grams of fiber while the same amount of white rice has less than one gram of fiber. We all need from 25 to 38 grams of fiber in our diet everyday.

It also contains nutrients like magnesium, manganese, and zinc.

Have a great day ahead.

regards