1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

What healthy meal did I eat today

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by shivachoubey, Jun 11, 2010.

1. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

@baby1 - Thank you so much dear for your appreciation. God bless you too. I am very active on this site so feel free to message me here. You can interact with me on my weight loss thread. Interaction here will benefit other ladies as well moreover I am not very regular and active on social networking sites.

Here is the link.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...-weight-loss-success-story-4.html#post1026300

Feel free to ask any doubts. I will always get back to you with an answer.

As for carrots, I grated them and use them either in my roties or in my lentil pancakes. I also grate them and make cucumber-carrot raita.

Check this recipe that makes use of grated carrots.

Lentil Pancakes - The lovely round beauties. - IndusLadies

@Jananikrithsan - Good show girl. Do share your tips and tricks with us. Thanks so much for your appreciation and I am waiting for your updates. Looking forward to them.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

2. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shiva,

Thanks for starting this thread. I am looking forward for more healthy recipes. My MIL taught me Jawar Dosa and I had it today.

Jawar Dosa:

1 cup of Powdered Jawar(Its better to powder Jawar as Jawar powder sold in shops may be adulterated)
    1/4 measure of whold urad Dhal

Soak the above for 2-3 hours and grind the batter in dosa consistency. Add Rock salt to it. Now the batter is ready. Add one spoon of Jeera and Pepper to the Batter. Use non-stick tava and you can either make thin crispy dosa without oil or steamed dosa. I made thick steamed dosa(pour thick dosa and cover it with a lid so that it gets cooked in the steam). I topped this with capsicum,onion and carrot topping. It tasted yummy with spicy Tomato chutney.

3. shivachoubey

Dear Radha,

OMG, this is awesome. I am gonna buy jowar and powder it at home. Will definitely give it a try, what a healthy recipe.

Thanks for sharing.

regards

4. mankan

mankan Gold IL'ite

hi shiva, i wanted to share 1 recipe as
    i am also always from oily food and sweets like u
    and i too cook everything in just 2-3 drops of oil.
    i always keep moong chana sprouts handy.

2-3 drops of oil in a pan.
    saute garlic and spring onions.
    add all veges like carrot,capsicum,radish,cabbage,
    pumpkin,beans,green chillies,ginger.
    cook it till soft

add salt,soya sauce,red chilli flakes and i add 1 spoon of knorr manchurian mixture[it tastes yum with that]
    and last of all add sprouts.cook it till done.
    can add 2-3 spoons of rice.

i take this every alternate day for my dinner.
    here in china i have seen people just take steamed veges with rice.
    so i tried this according to my taste.
    thanks

1 person likes this.
  5. baby1

baby1 Bronze IL'ite

dear mankan, thank you for your yummy vegetable recipe.
    i have a 'knorr chinese manchurian' packet which i had bought previously.
    i can prepare the manchurian sauce using the packet mixture.
    but to prepare the manchurian balls i have to deep fry the dough (as the instruction says; to grate carrot, cabbage, onion, capsicum and mix with maida, salt and water to make a sticky dough and deep fry).
    i want to avoid this deep fry part and make it with less oil.
    any idea how can i do that machurian balls. any one pls reply as i want to use this packet.

6. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

To be honest, Shiva, no tips no tricks just cutting down on fried food but then I do get tempted sometimes, from XL I came to fit into a large kurta now I want to fit into the M one!! I have also decided, after reading your recent blog, say no to eating outside!!!

I mainly avoid rice in the afternnon and at night take very less!!!
    Today Iam having cauliflower sabji and a raita for lunch!
    Been eating like this for more than two years, the second time though!
    Earlier weight loss was more than 15 kgs!!!

Thanks for encouraging!

7. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

You can try making patties like balls using cornflour so that they don't split!
    Then you can add them to the gravy!

8. shivachoubey

Dear Mankan,

wow, this could replace the tradition Manchurian which is fried. Tell me when we mix the Manchurian powder do we need to add water to make the gravy. This can be a great side dish with rice.

Thanks for sharing, will give it a try.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

9. mankan

mankan Gold IL'ite

dear shiva,
    its upto ur wish to add water or not.if u want gravy add little water,but i totally avoid cornflour in this.i add this powder in fried rice and vegetable noodles too.it tastes good.actually it satisfies the urge of eating manchurian or any chinese dish and moreover its very healthy too.i make veg hot and sour soup also with this,only u have to chop veges very finely.

dear baby1,
    as i have written above how to use this powder.i use this powder only in chinese veges,fried rice and noodles and hot and sour soup,
    not to make manchurian,as it is fried.
    thanks.

10. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

How about baking it? the dough should not be too loose and sticky though. I have tried making pakoras and dhal vadas this way. I make cabbage koftas in my paniyaram ( tamil word) pan. You can give it a try. I think its called Ableskiever pan in english. My spelling might be wrong.

I remember making dry gobi manchurian once by baking. It was pretty good too.

I like experimenting with food. Being a south indian, I love idlis and dosas.I now started making dosas with Brown rice instead of white rice. Trust me it is equally good as white rice dosas and you also get some added fiber from brown rice. I have been doing this for quite some months now and now I dont even have white rice in my house anymore.

All my biriyanis,pulaos are made with brown rice only. I eat brown rice with sambar,rasam , curd anything. Its just that you need to start somewhere and get used to it.

Here is my version of Bisi bela bath recipe using bulgur wheat. No coconut, no rice. I am giving approximate measurements. You can increase or decrease the amount as you like. My version does not include any garam masala like the authentic recipe. You can include them if you want.

Bulgur wheat - 1 cup
    Tur dhal - 1/2 cup
    Onion - 1 (chopped) (optional)
    Tomato - 1 ( chopped) (optional - compensate with tamarind)
    Mixed Vegetables - 1.5 cups or more
    Frozen black eyed peas - 0.5 cups
    Raw peanuts - 0.5 cups
    Tamarind paste - 2 tsp
    Sambar powder or Bisi bela bath powder without coconut - 2 tsp or more
    salt - to taste

To temper:
    Oil - 1 tsp
    Mustard,jeera, Urad dal, Curry leaves

Ghee - 1 tbsp (optional)

In a pressure cooker, mix all the ingredients together and add enough water. I usually add around 6 cups of water for the above given measurements.

If you are using onions and tomatoes, saute them first before adding other ingredients.

Cook it for 4 whistles.

After opening the pressure pan, add some ghee. This brings the best flavour and makes the taste close to restaurant style bisi bela bath.

Temper with little oil and add the tempering to the pressure pan and mix it thoroughly. Garnish with coriander leaves if required.

The most important ingredient is the bisi bela bath powder. If you can make it fresh ( no coconut) and add it, the flavor is too good. I add freshly ground sambar powder (i.e without cloves etc).

Since bisi bela bath is a dish where rice is mashed thoroughly, bulghur is a good recplacement. It is really very hard to tell that it is made with bulghur. I make this whenever I crave for authentic SI food.

Health benefits:
    One dish meal - you get to eat enough vegetables, protein ( from dal, peanuts and black eyed peas), good carbs from fibre, fat(we need fats too for a healthy living) from peanuts and oil/ghee. We just moderate the amount of fat by reducing the amount of oil, avoiding coconut etc.,

Thanks,
    Aswini