1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Have you Done to Make yourself Proud?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sheebavinod, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Sheebavinod

Sheebavinod Gold IL'ite

This sentence set my mind thinking for quite a long time . Everyone must have heard this at least once in their life most probably during childhood days when our parents try to ingrain good values so that it becomes a part of our character. The accomplishments in life of course makes us feel proud about ourselves whether it is winning a prize in competitions, securing first rank in class, passing out with flying colors in matriculation and entrance exams, when you get the first pay, the list is endless. Every person would have at least one factor to cite of which he/she is proud of. Even I have had my share of accomplishments during the various stages of life; from being a student to presently being mother to the most beautiful girl in the world.

Majority of our accomplishments evoke different emotions in us and it depends on the intensity of the elation felt. But all of them are fleeting. I don’t find my past accomplishments exhilarating anymore but then there will be some which are liberating as well, like in my instance being a mother which is an experience that teaches me lessons everyday. There is a continuous evolving process taking place and it helps me grow into a better human being. Such experiences makes me proud , which leave indelible imprints in life. For me emotions are very important and it makes my world a better place to live in for me and for my family and friends.

One incident that really makes me feel proud about myself happened when I was working in Cochin . I was staying in working womens’hostel . Loads of friends made life easier in the hostel except the food. It was out of necessity and the fees remitted every month which made me eat that insipid food everyday. I would take my packed lunch but would throw it in a bin on my way to office because by afternoon it would have become stale. One day , as usual on my way to office ,I found an old man lying on the pavement and by the looks of it I could make out that he was too old and weak. All of a sudden , involuntarily my hand went into my bag, searching for my packed lunch and in few minutes I handed it to him. He looked at it and gave me a faint smile and slowly he folded his hands in front of me before taking the packet from me. I smiled back and walked away and turned to see if he was eating but couldn’t make out as everything looked blurred through my tear filled eyes. I never felt so blessed in life, was able to feed an hungry mouth that too of an man old enough to be my grandfather. Then it became a routine for the next two months. We never spoke ,only exchanged a smile and that said it all.Then one day I didn’t find him and thought may be he could not make it on time but then he never came back. I waited for two weeks but it didn’t bear any fruit. I felt sad, all sort of thoughts nagging my mind-what if he had died on some pavement with no one to even throw a glance at him or what if he was terribly ill as it was rainy season. These questions remained unanswered. Thus , this small routine came to an abrubt end. I still think of that oldman sometimes, and the very thought makes me sad . But my ability to help him during those days makes me feel proud about the fact that I made a difference in his life though for a very short span of time.

To Help some one in need , to smile ,to lend a hand, such gestures from my side makes my heart swell with pride. I know many friends of mine too, who do the same . I have lots of plans and ideas that need to be put into action in the future for the needy and helpless ones and for me these gestures makes life worthwhile to live.

2. Indulekha

Indulekha Junior IL'ite

Dear Sheebs..

Well written Sheebs..Emotions definitely play a great role in our life.
    To help one in need..especially to feed a hungry mouth is divine..you are blessed dear..

3. Sheebavinod

Sheebavinod Gold IL'ite

Thanks Indu for the first feedback. Indeed its a blessing dear:)

4. bindhusubi

bindhusubi Senior IL'ite

Very touching.... there is nothing equal to annadaanam....helping a hungry fellow being is the best deed you could do in this life....

great work da....

5. Sheebavinod

Sheebavinod Gold IL'ite

thanks a lot bindu:), appreciate your praise with great humility

6. madhupreeth

madhupreeth Senior IL'ite

:clap:clap:clap:clapSheebs......great blog......
    it was so touching.....
    another nice blog from you....
    liked it very much...
    Sheebs please keep writting..
    God bless you dear......

7. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sheeba,

Yes, you did really make us proud with that Cochin incident. Because there giving was spontaneous, natural and was not ego-prompted but heart-prompted. That made the giving special. And that blessed both the giver and the receiver. What was insipid food to you would have been life-nourishing elixir for that old man.

Your blog really set me thinking. Our parents constantly exhort us to achieve, to study, to stand first, win laurels and so on. But we should teach our children values and tell them that they can really make us proud with their qualities than with their abilities.

The language and the narrating style was captivating, Sheeba.
    regards,
    sridhar

8. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Sheeba dear, there are no words to comment on the blog. Hats off for feeding a hungry stomach instead of throwing the food away J

9. manchitra

manchitra Senior IL'ite

LIked the lines, when the gave back a faint smile to you which woud have been full of meaning,a blessing and loads of thanksgiving.May God help you to help others more and more.

10. NamitaPatro

NamitaPatro New IL'ite

Really u had done fantastic job,itsa very touchy blog.I think without emotion nobody can do good things in life because it drive us to good thing even for stranger too_One who help other will be rewarded by God one day .