1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Has Your Spouse Done That You Cherish The Most?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Laks09, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The medical provider messed up a procedure/test I went through. The messing up was both during the process and the results that came also had some updates and corrections in handwriting. Long wait on calls did not help, the staff gave canned replies and the main doctor/physician was not available to directly answer my questions.

Finally, the stress got to me and I simply broke down. I decided to just go visit in person one morning and ask them to be more forthcoming about my test and results. I half-heartedly asked DH to come along. Didn't think he would as he had important meetings. He came along. At the office when he saw the staff again fobbing me off with standard responses, and I am trying to repeatedly show them the printed results and almost tearfully asking questions, he lost it. Moved me back, stood in front of me and gave it to them loud and clear. : ) All the women sitting and filling out forms or reading their phones instinctively looked at us once and then looked away. I tried to stop him, he pushed my arm away.

Weird clinic. DH told them, here's my credit card. Redo the test at our expense. They refused. Anyway, long story short, on our way out, I told him I want to do the test at another place and I don't want to deal with insurance or anything. I have no idea what he told my primary doctor or whom he called. We went to another more reputed place, found a location with opening in the next hour, got the test done. He did all the following up with billing etc.

To see a mild mannered, conflict avoiding person speak like that in a quiet clinic kind of place, it was almost like we see in movies : ) The gentle disposition wala kindly person who done with being patient finally erupts one day and gives a piece of his mind to the govt. official or other bureaucracy. Anupam Kher excels in such roles. : )

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This is something that probably made the recovery so much better. Thank you for sharing.

3. Laks09

There is something to be said about that olive branch bearer. I really admire that quality too. Thank you for sharing. I hope you had a great vacation! In the current scheme of things reminiscing beautiful vacations is soothing.

hridhaya likes this.
  4. Laks09

What a beautiful recollection @Rihana! Your knight in shining armor swooped in to save the damsel in distress. What more do we need. Thank you for sharing!

Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  5. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Yes it was a beautiful and memorable vacation. Happy holidays!

Laks09 likes this.
  6. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

@Laks09 - what a lovely, heartwarming post! He is a keeper! You complete each other, I can see that in your posts.

deepthyanoop and Laks09 like this.
  7. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I am not sure if there is any one incidence that stands out in our 12 years of togetherness.

He is more of a “composite of men” in @Novalis description.

My (George Clooney doppelgänger) handsome man who makes my dil go dhakdhak
    Witty as Oscar Wilde (or Stephen Colbert if I have to compare with modern day) to make me laugh when it doesn’t seem possible.
    Smart and insightful like E O Wilson.

He is my rock! It doesn’t mean that everything is rosy, we have plenty of fights .

I guess I have never been a princess in distress and he hadn’t have a chance to be the Prince Charming. I feel that giving an equal importance to my career has been the most cherished part of our relationship. I have never felt need to justify anything or ask permission/ advice to do anything.
    I loved reading all the replies!
    Thank you @Laks09 for bringing the smile on many faces as they wrote these posts!

8. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

One more, in the 'moved by' category since your inclusion of timelords and tardis and not just spouse in the thread.

Eons ago, during my puppy days, I was extremely squeamish about using public restrooms. Enter precariously and exit like a fast canon.

During one such nature's call, I was nervy at the sight of an unkempt toilet, wet floor and stink at a modest eatery. Dilly-dallied and returned to the table in despair. Puzzled, he inquired. On hearing that the toilet didn't pass my muster for cleanliness, he darted to the manager. "Could you please clean the ladies toilet?" The manager nodded. "Now, please". The manager bristled. "It is not a phone call that the lady can wait, it is the nature's call, she has to go to the toilet, NOW, please."

Clueless where to hang my face trying to pretend that he was hanging out with another girl around me. He accompanied the cleaning lady, supervised her, shooed away the urgent intrusions of other women wanting to use the toilet with a 'man at watch' posture, and in the most adorable gesture announced 'there you go, scheherazade, your toilet is ready'.

On the drive back, grinning and screaming, you cleaned the toilet for me!! which was vehemently opposed - chup karo! you make it sound like I actually cleaned the toilet.

Duffer log samajhte nahi how much it means for a woman to have a public toilet cleaned for her.

I warned him, tere daanth waanth gir jaye, haddi waddi toot jaye, you grow rheumatoid and amnesiac, I will grab you by your collar and shout at you, you my sweetest harpic man, cleaned the toilet for me.

(what can I say: Men are sweet in their own and mysterious ways)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    pocahontas, SCA, Metamorphic and 5 others like this.
  9. Laks09

Thank you! He definitely is.

That's the best right? I admire couple like you. It's always a give and take but when you don't have to give in what's most important to you, it gets easier to do it in other areas.

10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The dunyazad in me is glad Laks started this thread and aap aaye.

I am reminded of a somewhat similar preparation of the bathroom quarters before the royalty uses it that I did long ago.

Saab was spending two days in my parents house in India. Just two compared to the two to the power three I was to spend in his town. : )

On Day 1, Saab discovered only too late and in a very hands-on manner that the bathroom overhead shower emits no water. As I was well out of ear shot, issuing an "aji sunti ho" to summon me was of no use. The mission was creatively accomplished with the baalti and mug and Saab duly joined us for breakfast. I was a little puzzled at the dry hair (no headbath). Only when my mother called out to the kaamwali to go switch off the geyser, did I remember that I had forgotten to tell Saab about the shower.

On Day 2, like a wiser by experience puppy that can't be bribed to enter the bathroom, or a child who won't enter the pediatrician's office no matter how many candies offered, Saab said 'no can do. get the shower fixed..' I replied, 'there is nothing to fix.' Saab was like ?? I pointed to the two taps (hot, cold) and the big jumbo khandaani (ancestral) baalti under them. Like a real estate agent showing off a dilapidated apartment to an increasingly discouraged prospective tenant, I hesitatingly informed him that the shower had never worked and was not meant to be used.

My eyes scanned the room, wondering how to change the grumpy I-need-a-shower-now Saab to a happy thande-thande-paani-se-nahana-chahiye singing Sanjeev Kumar. I saw a small foot-high stool, pointed to it and said he could use that to sit on. : ) : ) Saab said something unprintable about the offered stool and strode valiantly into the bathroom like a soldier off to war even knowing his weapons and artillery are meagre. I instead sat guard on that stool outside the bathroom. : )

What was the dhak dhak moment, you ask? : ) Well, it was not dhak dhak, but it touched my heart. We both come from families where the son-in-law is still treated with formality and the clan runs around like headless chickens trying to ensure his every comfort. At least in the initial marriage years. But, throughout that trip, my parents and siblings got no whiff of any inconvenience Saab went through. He used to be all "Papa ji, what is the headlines...what is Vajpayee up to" and "Mummy, what is in naashta today?" Looking back, I can imagine how it must have been for him to pass those two long days.

Years later, the story came full circle when he went to Home Depot and found a big enough bucket for my mother to use in our bathroom in America. : ) : )

Who says a woman needs diamonds and gold ... it is these little things that win her heart.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020