1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

What dress do you wear at home ?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by Aniyaa, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Krithika,
    Not all the ladies wear this kind of dress after coming to America, so trying to be Americanised is not a good word to designate them.....
    Wearing shorts/capris are not too bad untill you are aware of your figure (to be more precise hips and legs)........When comfort comes, these tees and shorts are really the best option .......you need to try once before commenting.....may look bad to you at first but once you will get the comfort, you will feel the difference.
    It's upto the person who is adjusted to one dress form, even she can get comfort in a heavy silk saree or so.......

It's us who thinks in that way....we never raised our brows when we see others wearing the same but when one Desi wears the same we immediately start looking at them awfully.........and starts commenting about loosing culture and blah......blah......
    Regards......

2. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Meeta,

Looks like you have totally misinterpreted what I was trying to convey here.
    Secondly, please dont confuse the way of dressing with culture. Respecting culture and tradition have nothing to do with way of dressing.

(Infact I have elaborated this point in another thread which was started -whether our indian culture and tradition is preserved or not)

And yes, to certain extent, irrespective of the figure, if you are not used to wearing shorts from a very young age, you tend to look awkward especially if you do not know how to carry yourself in that.

Believe me, I have tried all kinds of dresses from a very young age, not only because I am here in US now. I've been here for quite a number of years and with the change in attire comes a put on accent (this is totally aping the americans)

As for commenting only the desis, again sorry to say you are wrong...i am also surprised by other people(who are not desis) wearing something that is not totally suitable for their figure. Sometimes we dont go in search of people to comment, it just stares in front of you.

And I never say, desis have lost culture just because they are wearing modern dresses @ home or outside just because it is convenient for them.

I never mix between culture/traditions/values and wearing modern dresses.Both are totally different. You can wear shorts and sleeveless shirt and yet respect our Indian culture!!

It's all in the mind and attitude!

Cheers,
    Jithiks(Krithika)

3. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Krithika,
    Yeah, I misinterpreted your post.......sorry abt that.
    regards.

4. vase

vase Senior IL'ite

Hi Aninya

My reply is almost similar to that of RajmiArun (the 1st one to reply to your post)... I find cotton churidhars are comfortable to wear at home. I leave the nighties / maxis only for wearing in the nights.

Cheers!

5. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi All,
    I don't have many choice in this cold weather.
    I wear pants and cotton tops during winter and in summer explore everything from skirts, chudidhar, long skirts, capirs etc.
    It all depends on individual choices.

Regards.

6. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

When at home I am in my bermudas and a sleeveless Tee or in a cargo with a short spaghetti blouse. I do not care of the world, it is my house and i will wear what suits me. I never run in to change in to any thing special for a visitor. In the evening (during weekly offs or holidays), I am in my pants and a blouse or kurthi.
    I like to dress in scanties at home as i am bored of being professional for more than 12 hours a day. I like to be at ease at least at home.

7. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi malspie,

Good that you have a "Don't care attitude and live life (in this case...dress) for yourself"

I think your policy is "Live and let others live". Good!! Keep it up!!

But we should also remember that we live in a society..agreed that we dont live for others...but sure there is a decorum that we need to maintain...right?

Cheers
    Krithika

8. kavithav

kavithav New IL'ite

hi check out in Fab india you have some really cool cotton kurtis which are very comfy and at the same time elegant and cool.

9. Jessica.sharon

Jessica.sharon Silver IL'ite

persoally i feel that nighty is fne enough especially if u happen to wear dark color ones which dont get dirty if u happen to do a lot of house work. Its hard to do house work in a saree as most women would agree and it does not look nice to keep your saree tucked up and i feel that a nighty is much comfy whe it comes to home wear, regards, Jessi

10. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

I wear only 'NIGHTIES" at home...........i feel very comfortable with good and lose cottong nighties till my feet.......like now-a-days we get lot of good qualtiy nighties........with varities in materials as well as pattern.........so really it wont be that much ......uncomfortable even if some visitors come suddenly.........and in the day time .i will be alone almost....and these nobody coming uninformed.........its too hot here.........to wear even salwar at times ( My 2centsMy 2cents)....

I wont go out with the nighty .anywhere...........but i will be wearing that in day too.......since i feel its good not only for climate sake but also for doing household chores.......