1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What does this advertisement teach?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by aquamarine, Feb 26, 2008.

1. essvee

essvee New IL'ite

Hi Priya

You have raised a very important issue. Media has penetrated our lives so much that it has become really hard to protect our kids from all the negative impact it is creating. And as other members have also rightly added that it is not just the ads but also the cartoons, serials and movies.

The thought that media is undoing all my efforts to teach the good things to my kids is so depressing !! As a mom to two active boys (!!!), i find it increasingly difficult to detach them from action packed cartoons and movies. There is no entertainment prog. I can watch with my kids. Even for the comedy serials , I am never sure when something obscene will crop up.

As for the movies, it is hard to trust the 'U' certification these days.....even they'll have at least one scene that will not be fit for young kids. I just cannot enjoy any movie with the kids (except for a few kids' movies). I have to watch it separately first and only then allow them to see it. Sometimes the movie is really funny but just because of one or two scenes, can't allow my son to watch it.....it's so frustrating.

Another thing that bugs me a lot is the horror serials...although they are appropriately slotted in the late show segments (to prevent the kids from viewing them) but their promos are being aired at prime time.....what's the whole point? even a few seconds of scary scences are enough to leave an impact on kids...specially the younger ones.

As for the misguiding ads, i remember one ad which used to be aired quite some time back and would really leave me fuming......this one was about a mobike ......dad brings a kid to school on his motorbike...the kid realises he has forgotten his notebook and there is too much traffic to go back....but dad is a hero and zooms through the traffic crisscrossing all the cars and brings the notebook before the school starts.....the child is so proud of his 'traffic cutter' papa !!!!
    WHEW! What an example setting.
    Here we are , trying to teach our kids safe driving, road etiquettes and all ....and there goes everything in the gutter with the Traffic Cutter 'WoW' Dad !!!

I worry and worry about all these things......and have finally come to the conclusion that it's simply impossible to isolate our kids from all this.....it's everywhere ...tv, cinema, print, internet .

And as i have realised that there is no 100% protection from these, specially the ads, I've now started using them to reinforce the good values in my kids.....sort of learnig the positive lessons from a negative experience !! Whenever I find an ad (or a scene) offensive, i discuss it out with my kids and show it to them as an example of bad behaviour. I ask them questions like 'do u thing it's ok to do this?' or 'oh my god, look at him doing this.....is it really good to behave this way?'

The (mis)behaviour category i've learnt to deal with.....but still have no idea what to do about obscene content ......as of now, i just try my best not to let them watch such prog.The idea of filing a complaint as suggested by Shanthi is very right....I think i'll start doing that.

And in the meantime, as we can't chase the disease germs away forever.....we should get our children vaccinated against them...make the most of the negatives to teach the positives!! :-D

Cheers,
    Sonalika.

2. Kirti Shivakumar

Kirti Shivakumar New IL'ite

:spinThanks everyone for those letters. Sometimes I would wonder if I was the only odd one out angry at such ads ( especially all ads from AXE - sick ). We have to like someone on the forum said , sensitise the kids about issues like this ,they will open to such profanities everywhere , books , magazines , tv , etc .

And ultimately I guess the mother has to play a greater role in all this .(Not to say that men should not be responsible) But perhaps it may not get into their insensitive heads .Just joking)

Kirti

3. aquamarine

aquamarine Senior IL'ite

Hi Shilpa,

Yes media is a very powerful medium and the media people use actors and models and of course the all powerful cricketeers in their quest to sell their products. It is indeed rare to find someone who is careful of what advertisements they endorse. ofcourse SRK has not endorsed only a few things i think and they are the ladies products....given an opportunity he would do even that.bonk
    but change is needed my friend cause i as a teacher often see what problems we face while seeing children get persuaded by these type of ads. it is with great difficulty that we persuade them to respect ones elders and especially parents this kind of unravels all the knots that we tie inside them...

warm wishes,

aqua.

4. aquamarine

aquamarine Senior IL'ite

Dear Jayanthi,

I am sorry to hear this. I think greater caution is needed to be used when dealing with a young mind. As a teacher i often find children especially in the age group of 10 to 15 often being led by powerful ads and their sad desregard for their parents is very difficult to understand especially the mother. She is often taken for granted. These ads are unhealthy and need to be banned.

thanks for sharing with me.

Warm wishes,

aqua.

5. aquamarine

aquamarine Senior IL'ite

Dear jaishree,

thanks for your FB...I think there is a misconception that anything goes...and these young ones get carried away with it.

warm wishes,

aqua.

6. aquamarine

aquamarine Senior IL'ite

Hi Priya,

this makes me smile one priya saying hi to another priya. the ad you are mentioning is in bad taste it is because of these that parents often tend to compare the mark sheet with that of their childs best friends what parents forget is every child has his or her own set of abilities and they often dont recognise these abilities.

warm wishes,

aqua (priya)

7. aquamarine

aquamarine Senior IL'ite

Hi Sonalika,

Great response, I must say that was very impressive the way you have handled your two little ones. I often feel we might as well forget watching telly cause nothing worth while ever comes in. i often watch only programmes that are inspiring or sometimes just plain laughs....cartoons are scary..nothing to be understood from them...

Great way of handling your kids my friend.

Cheers,
    Aqua.

8. aquamarine

aquamarine Senior IL'ite

Hi Kirti,

I agree with you, a mother today does have greater responsibilities. Thanks for your FB.
    warm wishes,

Aqua.

9. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello pri

havent seen the ad
    (i have to watch tv aaa?)
    can understand how you feel...
    there are so many nice ones too
    with kids as main theme...
    and again ones that stick to your mind
    and rub on the negative...

money money money
    ad is getting money
    it aint so funny
    but for them sure is honey

sathya

10. aquamarine

aquamarine Senior IL'ite

Dear Chithi,

you know i envy you your talent of being able to convey what you want to say by means of poetry.....it is lovely.
    when are you sending me your book of keerai recipes....waiting for it.

thanks chithi,
    love and lots of it.

prido