1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What does this advertisement teach?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by aquamarine, Feb 26, 2008.

1. aquamarine

aquamarine Senior IL'ite

I was watching the ensuing cricket match between <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region> and Sri-lanka, when during the commercial break – usually my Hubby would switch to the News channel but that day it was not the case and I saw this advertisement which left a bad taste in my mouth. This advert left me wondering about how children behave with their parents.

The advert was about an angry parent shouting at his son for not keeping the home clean, he goes on about how the clothes are strewn all over the place and the helmet is kept in the kitchen shelf and etc… when all of a sudden this boy switches on his mobile and starts listening to an absurd song which has the same beat as the shaking of his fathers head and hands. The advert was about a mobile phone company saying “youngsters listen only to what you want. You don’t have to listen to anybody else”. This left me feeling betrayed, as a teacher I must have spoken and counselled so many boys with problems, is this the way the young of today behave with their elders. We lament saying that youngsters do not listen to their parents. We even take counselling lessons on how to deal with our young. Should we perhaps give the young of today counselling lessons on how to deal with their parents and elders?

We say change is a must and is very much needed. But if this is change then where are we heading? I think it is time the advertising people took into consideration that their advertising is setting a wrong example amongst the youth of today and set about correcting their approach in targeting the young crowd.

2. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Hi Dear,

So very true. Earlier we used to say that ads are mis-leading...but now they are mis-guiding too.bonk

I really fell that ads should be to promote not only the product but a good message too as they have a huge impact on the masses.

Roopa.

3. ansh12

ansh12 Bronze IL'ite

Hi aquamarine

I agree with you 100%, earlier these ads were target children and using their vulnerable psychic to promote product like so and so drink peene se confidence badhta he and now they are targeting youth.

For that matter the serials, videos on idiot box give very wrong message to youth. Not to mention about the sensationalisation of murder, rape and marital discord by news channels to gain viewership.

I had read an article about sensationalisation of news, where it was pointed out that when WTc fell, not even a single clip of people bried in the rubble was hown, where as our channels give coverage to a person who is going to immolate himself in Bihar and capture the scence of a person going up in flames,as if it is going to win them best coverage award.

These scenes have much bad impact on the psychic of the kids and youth as compared to skimpy dresses of females.

Well written thread by you.

Best wishes
    Ansh

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

i second you on this, i know being a teacher and making those children understand about bonding was so tough and now these ads are working against it, no doubt..sunkan

5. Jaynat

Jaynat New IL'ite

Hi Aquamarine

A sad fact. Not only the advertisements but most of what is shown by television media proves to be a bad influence corrupting the youngsters with their tasteless and thoughtless messages. As long as they can make money anything and everything is publicised by means of scenes and messages which leave much to be desired.

6. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear AM,
    Very true.These ad makers are sometimes senseless i guess. Its so misleading and mis guiding as everyone has said here.

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi priya,

This is one topic that makes me see red sometimes.

Apart from the one you are quoting...

There are hoards of ads which are misguiding... have you seen the ads for the deodorants...some make ladies look pathetic..
    even there is a ad where the schools kids use it to get into an adult show...

Have you ever thought how come all toothpastes are recommended and certified by Indian dental association...actually it is a association of all dentists and others in the field..there looks no norms and rules for the products, as far as i understand..if you feel i am misguiding..just check out the ida website..there are hoards of details other than the rules and regulations, and the normal standards to be prescribed for toothpastes...

The i-pill advertised now, is a growing concern in the colleges and teens...it becomes easy as it can be brought over the counter.

Gone are the days, you can tell, what is the programme based on the ads...now you find certain ads that need not be shown in a children's channel....

If anyone finds any advertisement which is misleading and offensive, you can lodge a complaint against it in the Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI)...how many of us use it....

I think we should collectively have a say in it...

Advertising is a responsibility....

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Priya,

I agree this ad is not in good taste.This shows u how to disrespect yr elders.Firstly the guy keeps the house dirty, and then listens to his music, while his dad is explaining to him.Wonky sense of humour, not in good taste.Well written.Regards.kamal

9. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Hi aqua,
    Nice one from you.
    This ad doesn't teach anything , good!
    Yesterday I saw this ad in between a serial and thought where is this ad world going...

sriniketan

10. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Even though I have not seen this ad... there are several other ad's which are mis-leading and mis-guiding. Apart from the ads.. there are many movies which mislead the kids. My kids watch only cartoon right now, but they are learning many bad words from cartoon. They show more violance in these cartoons now a days.

Regards.