1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

What do your parents do when they visit ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by MeenLoch, Oct 26, 2012.

1. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

My mom and dad are here for my pregnancy. Before the baby arrives it is a bit boring for my father.
    - He takes long morning walks with my mother
    - He reads books for few hours
    - He types emails to his friends back home
    - He takes afternoon naps

Evenings are boring for him. I suggest him to play or read to my first little one.
    Do you all have any interesting recommendations ?

As for mom, she cooks, cleans, cooks again, talks to her friends helps me with household arrangement etc. Other than thatshe reads to my LO. I am starting to teach her jewelery making.

Anything fun that your parents do ?

1 person likes this.

2. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

My inlaws are here and they are watching shows on netflix (prison break) and other shows (Dog whisperer is my FIL's fav) on tv. Since your dad is an avid reader, the shows here might interest him. Netflix shows have subtitles too..so it shouldnt be much problem. Do you have Indian channels? That should keep them busy. You can probably introduce them to any of your friends' parents in your area, if any. Last time, my MIL was with us, my hubby enrolled her in a cake baking class...oh she enjoyed it a lot! See if anything interests your father in that aspect. Else you can buy chess or some brainstorming games for him.

3. delhidamsel

delhidamsel Silver IL'ite

The main challenge is to find people whom they can have a chat with. Everything else should be similar to India. Try to find other parents who are also looking for company.

4. lovinglibra

lovinglibra Senior IL'ite

Taking them to libraries,parks , wine tasting and take them to indian temples if you have any near you.Once in a while dinner in restaurants like sea food or invite your friends or family over to get them some company.

5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

We live in a community with a fairly large number of Indians and there are quite a few parents/inlaws visiting at the same time. We make sure the parents are introduced and after that ...they usually have a blast. Walks, potluck lunches in a near by park(when its a bit warm) and general chit chat.

6. Kungumam

Kungumam Gold IL'ite

Dear meen, when is ur Lo due? How are u?

7. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

see if you have any senior centres in your area and they usually have game nights or craft evenings. my Fil reads a LOT so library is his fav. Between long walks, yoga, eating , watching tv & interacting with kids. I am sure they miss the friends . All the best with your pregnancy & baby.