1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Do You Want From Varalotti?

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Mar 24, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

What Do You Want From Varalotti?

I think it was 1980. Film Director Bharathiraja was about to shoot a movie in which he wanted the famed actor Shivaji Ganesan to act. The great actor heard the story and told the Director,

“You have seen my acting in the other films. You know what all I have. It is for you to bring out from me whatever you want, whatever you think I have.”
    The Director was so moved that out of respect for the thespian the movie was named “Mudhal Mariyadhai.”

I am nowhere in stature compared to the great actor or that Director. But I am in a similar situation. I have been writing for one and a half years. And ladies you know what I have. And now it is time for you to ask whatever you want from me.

A writer, even a small-time writer (a small-time celebrity, as I was mocked by a new Ilite) is a kind of a super-market or to opt for a better simile, a multi-cuisine restaurant. To survive as a writer one has to write on so many things. You take my case: I write on male-prostitutes and psychometric tests. I ring the warning bells on hypocrisy and jealousy. And coin a new term like HAMB or emotional unaffordability and gain some enemies in the process. Or create a fictional character, Lakshmi, as a medium to see womens problems. Or sing praises of Kambar, Bharathi, Bharatidasan or even Abdul Rahman.

Now I am approaching you with a request to let me know, what do you want from Varalotti. Remember, Gracious Ladies, that I am not posing a challenge a la Shakuntala, ‘Come on, anybody has any problems to solve.’ I am more like a humble (and many times a humbled) bearer waiting on you, waiting for your orders.

You may use this thread to inform me from time to time, what topics do you want to be discussed.

Please answer the questionnaire below. Just write the number of the question and give your answer. Help me to help you.

Question 1

Should I continue to write on controversial topics – gossip, hypocrisy, listening etc. or confne myself to the safe harbours – literature, Diwali greetings etc.

(I would love to discuss these topics as they involve very lively, live-wire discussions for one thing; seconly I end up learning more from you than the other way round)

Question 2

Is the current format of discussion okay with you? Where I start with a detailed post and then solicit your views and then reply to it?

Or do you prefer the now popular “Arattai Arangam” format? Here I will just start the discussion with a few lines and then only in the end will I give my conclusions, based on whatever you all have said.

Question 3

There is a general charge that I write pages and pages. Let me tell you I can also make condensed posts. For instance Dinamalar wanted me to edit a piece to cut down its size by 50%. I did it within 20 minutes. When you have a three-page post you can read it in leisure. But if I condense it to half a page, then you need to focus more, a lot more.

The difference is between taking an intoxicating drink on the rocks (without mixing with anything) or take it in right dosage, diluting it with soda or water. Let me know your taste.

Question 4

Of late I have started posting in the Religion Forum as well. Do you want me to continue or stay away from religion?

Question 5
    We now have Wednesdays with Varalotti, Saturdays with Varalotti and Sundays With Varalotti. Are you okay with this frequency? (I don’t write on all Wednesdays and Saturdays. When a heated discussion is going on I don’t start a new thread). Or do you want less? (More is ruled out; there can not be anything more than this)

Question 6

Do you prefer the current style of individual reply? Or you want a pooled general reply?

Question 7
    What do you think about my forays into literature? Frankly I have been confining myself mostly to Tamil literature, though I give English translations so that every one can read (whether they enjoy it or not is a different issue). May be I can stretch my self a little bit into English literature. But my knowledge of other languages is minimal (an euphemistic expression used to declare perfect ignorance). Should I continue to post on Kambar and other Tamil poets?

Question 8

What do you think about my so-called “lighter vein” writings, like a walk down the streets of <st1:City><st1:place>Madurai</st1:place></st1:City> or the convocation congregation? What is the mix you prefer? Do you want serious topics to be discussed every other time or you want them once in two weeks?

Question 9

And finally a delicate question on the tone I use. Either due to the counselling experience or the affection I enjoy from you ILites, at times I get into a patronising tone (of course not pedagogic or demagogic or irrational, as I have been accused of). But never have I attempted to belittle your views or your contribution. Many times I have simply bowed to saner counsel provided by you in the matters I have taken up for discussion.

My style is to narrate some of the incidents I know and draw lessons from them. I don’t try to super-impose my theories on real-life happenings and rationalise them. I go the opposite way. I use real life to develop theories or propositions which I want you to test. I want your comments on the tone and style.

Regards,
    Varalotti

2. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

dear sridhar sir,
    i want aratai arangham with hot topics,like which family life is better, is it nuclear family or joint family? like lots of topics. also i ahve already asked u t o write the translation of thirukural,dhinam oru thirukural pls...
    iam happy with all ur thread.
    this is my opinion from my side.

3. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hello Sridhar,

I remember one of my subjects, Control Systems in which my Professor taught us the merits and demerits of open system and closed loop system.
    Open system where the input is fed into the system and output is obtained. Closed loop system where a part of the output is fed back into the input and then processed through the system to obtain the output.
    (Sorry folks, I got carried away with my Control Systems subject)
    Now coming back here, yes feedback makes the system stable. Me too waiting for members' feedback on our esteemed writer, Varalotti, in Indusladies community.

4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

Just a small post to let you know that i have read your queries, and will be back with detailed answers soon.

Vandhana

5. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello sridhar

nice thread
    tiffin-odu coffee venuma
    paala
    or just chundalum
    moruma?
    pizza..biryani...akkaravadasal thodarattum
    enru ketpathupol....

eppadiyo
    50 % kuraikkavendaam
    i love kutti writeups
    (no idea about drinking straight withoutsoda)
    when it is long,.... very long
    the best part may be somewhere
    way past half way
    but the interest to read.....

as i told you before
    i have problem
    remembering
    which warning bell
    is being discussed now..
    (somberigal thirumbapoi paarpathillai)
    so i requested that each topic be given colourful names

and yes...
    i had a friend when i was doing a diploma
    at bharatiya vidya bhavan bangalore
    a mr jayaraman..M.A. english
    he used to joke ..
    that his relatives/friends sent back his letters
    with a remark ``please rewrite in simple english..''
    guess i have this problems and perhaps some more
    like me in il too..
    Phd innum padikkavillaye englishilum tamizhilum..

vaaram thorum varalotti
    vaaram poora vandaalenna?
    vaaram ezhe naatkal
    padippavargal
    padikkattum
    sollbavargal thaane solgiraargal?

i dont reply to most of your writings.. some are way above my head.. some i dont have any interest ..sorry.. and discussing kambar and others its perhaps too long and also i just have a skeleton idea of most topics...cant say im dumb about them .. i have a strong feeling of be indian and the kind..

too long a talk for u too?

sathya

6. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

1 Yes. I love to read the articles related to these topics. This is the most interesting thread. And I believe some one can bring changes to their life according to the advices they get from the discussion.
    2 The current format is ok.
    3 I think adding water or soda makes the drink act good.
    4 Providing religious thoughts to others who seek it, consider as a great act.
    5 I think, there is no need for three days. Only one day –Saturdays with Varalotty- is enough. Then the discussion will grow stronger. When you start a new thread, ladies will leave the previous one. If you continue one thread for one week, one can express their views again.
    6 I prefer the current style of individual reply.
    7 You are welcome to write about Tamil literature if translations are provided. (am satisfied with the current way of giving translations with the Tamil article) Some of my friends told me, that they thought IL is a Tamil forum. At first, when I joined before one year, I also had the same confusion, is this Global Tamil ladies forum?
    8 Lighter veins can be discussed in alternate weeks or once in fortnight.
    9 I don’t find any fault with the current approach with real life incidents.
    10 This is my humble request; please contribute a write up about humility.

7. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

Here are my views:

1. Yes you should continue with controversial topics too. otherwise , it would become too" blah" , not interseting at all. Afterall VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE!
    2. I like the current format better. Arataiarangam may be good on TV, but i like the way you give a detailed post interspersed with real life examples .
    3. I prefer diluting my drinks too!! So i would take the detailed posts made by you. Am sure there are certain topics that require " on the rocks" treatment, which you will do full justice to, as the case demands.
    4. Religion is a Universal thread. So please do continue posting in those threads as well.( time permitting for you)
    5. Again , 3 times a week is good to hear from you. And as youhave mentioned that sometimes you do not start a new topic , if the previous one is still being discussed, lets just leave it at that. May be if you like , you could categorize, the days , one for serious topics, the other for light hearted discussions.
    6. I like the individual reply too, but feel free to do a general reply if the topic so warrants it.
    7. Any good literature from any language is welcome, providing you have the time to do the translations etc.... ( i do know that translating takes time and plus you do have a busy career to handle too).
    8. I like the lighter vein topics and probably the best mix would be to have it alternate with heavy topics/literature. How about a mix of say the following: heavy topic first, light posts second and literature third. So that we can have a heavy topic every two weeks. and so on.
    9. Please do not change your tone or style. I think a writers individualism comes from their writing style, and so if you must change because we feel that you are too patronising , demogogic etc etc... then IL does not deserve to have you. While we can critically appreciate what you write, it is unfair to expect that you bow down to our wishes and write such that we may find it pleasing. So please my humble request is that you not change your style of writing in any way.

Finally, please do not stress yourself too much about the content , and style of your writings. Just go on as usual, but set the pace with which you would like to discuss various things , so that it does not in anyway take up too much of your precious time.

Thanks for all the wonderful readings that you have contributed so far to IL.

Vandhana

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Varalotti,

It is so like to show so much concern and ask every IL'ite what he/she wants to hear or read about and give them a choice.
    When I joined IL, I was not even aware that I will have access to so much literature and was happy about its availability, thanks to you and other eminent writers of this community.
    I have enjoyed everything that you have lovingly dished out, be it your serials, short stories, snippets, excerpts, controversial topics, Tamil literature etc etc and etc. I have NO complaints.
    Vandhana has expressed beautifully and it is all that I want to say. I second her in every suggestion and sentiment.
    Dear Vandhana, it is like you have taken the words out of my mouth!
    So dear Varalotti, please go ahead and feel free to share your thoughts and writings with us.
    I have only one request, which Vandhana already has mentioned....Please do not stress yourself up. If for some reason, you are unable to do your regular postings, it is okay, we will all understand. I know how precious your time is. Individual feedbacks are great, but if you cannot and do not seem fit at times, even that is fine. Just feel free.
    Since you have taken so much pains in formulating all the points, I shall reply them briefly. But you must be aware of my thoughts by now.

1- Please, do continue.

2- Yes, it is okay. If you fancy introducing Arattai Arangam format, do so, no problems.

3- Am baffled, thought you were a teetotaler?:)

4- Go ahead, no problems.

5- No complaints!

6- Suit your time and energy.

7- Ditto Vandhana's reply...Besides, any literature brought to us on a silver platter is a blessing:)

8- When is the next walk and where are we going?:) Suit the topics to your moods please.

9- Again, ditto Vandhana's excellent reply. Don't change anything, just be yourself. That's what has endeared you to IL'ites.

L, Kamla

9. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hello Varalotti,

Thank you for giving us a detailed questionnaire. It makes our thinking clear. I have nothing much to add to Vandhana and Kamla, still here goes.

Question 1

Please balance both controversial and cocktail topics. As they say, strew the roses among the thorns.

Question 2

Yes, I actually like the present format. I dunno what Aratai Arangam format is, so can't compare. Still, am happy with your detailed lead post, the way you give us an open window to answer. And very happy with your format of not having the last word yourself.

Question 3

Too much concentration can dehydrate. So, my request is cut the coat appropriately. Where length is required,pls go on. You judge. You know that we never balk at telling you our mind.

Question 4

Happy to read your postings on religion and religious literature.

Question 5

Sundays with Varalotti- is more a parallel universe thread, isnt't it? You did not actually start it, though you reply individually. I think the present pace is good.

Question 6

Individual, personalised, customised replies are solicited,please

Question 7

Pls post on literature-Tamil and other languages. I would not have read Abdur Rahman or even some works of Gibran had u not posted them.

Question 8

These add to the fare-pls continue.

Question 9

Tone and style like finger print is individual. I am happy with your present style. But may I say that when you make comments like,'challenge, you cannot read this without crying'-- I do find it strange. You don not need hype, your words speak for themselves.

--------------------------------------------------------

Also, a humble request. A moral authority vests in you to protect all those who reply to you (within the tenets of Forum Etiquette) in your thread. Do not forsake that. When you do that, the brunt is borne by an innocent third person who had no hand in the matter. Also, please do not compare posts, we are all learning here.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Looking forward to the best of Varalotti
    Vidya

10. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Thank You All!

Thank you all, dear ladies, for your detailed comments. Every line, every word and every letter has soaked into my being and will be reflected in all my future posts.

All the points are noted. And still waiting for more points.

Meanwhile please read the post below.

regards,
    Varalotti