What Do You Do With The Oil Used For Deep Frying??

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Naveena, May 3, 2007.

1. Naveena

Naveena New IL'ite

Hi,

Krishnamma: Thanks a lot for your tips. I will try to use less oil for frying in a smaller pan as you suggested. Your ideas regarding frying pappad etc.. are really good. Thanks.

Dew: I think you can store fried pappad etc.. in a food grade plastic box which is airtight. I think steel boxes wont be suitable for this

Veena.

2. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Though this is a very old discussion, I thought still some of you might be happy to read and share your ideas.

Regarding oil used for deep frying, I use it only once. First of all, I use a very small deep frying pan so that I use reasonably less oil. When I make pooris, bajjis, vadas, etc. I also try to fry some papadams, appalams, vathals. Like someone said the quantity by now will be reduced to an extent.

The left over oil I use for seasoning, for dosais, etc. I try to make sure I use it before it really gets too old.

Saturated fats left in oil after deep frying is definitely bad. However, with the increased oil prices it also becomes unaffordable to throw it completely.

1 person likes this.
  3. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

I find breaking the appalam or pappadam into 'Nacho' size bits & then frying them, drastically reduces the amount of oil used.
    To fry the whole appalam, we need to keep more oil ; but this way, small vessel with just about 1/4 cup of oil is sufficient .
    Also reduces the quantity we consume --- otherwise , one appalam per head used to be the minimum count !!

1 person likes this.
  4. susri

susri Silver IL'ite

I use the left over oil(used for deep frying) for making sabji but not in the initial stage. For tempering we can use less fresh oil and after adding vegtables, add used oil as much as we want. By this way,calory of oil will not increase.

5. viveka

viveka Senior IL'ite

Yes, this is an old problem. My solution in addition to using the least quantity of oil:
    1. try not to overheat the oil during frying. reduces the degradation of oil quality
    2. if you are making pooris, dont use flour to roll, use a tiny bit of oil from the kadai. no charred flour at the bottom
    3. use oil to deep fry only once. at the end, filter the oil if you have any sediiment - particles at the bottom, then deep fry a thick slice of potato (it basically cleans the oil) and throw it away. i use this oil for making dosas or for sauteing vegetables- like bhindi, tendli, etc which we season with andhra koora podi or dhaniya-jeera-mirchi powders..
    4. golden rule: if you fry store bought papad, dont reuse the oil. it makes the oil really dirty.

6. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ladies,

I just saw in facebook that used oil is not good for health. Is it so? It says it can cause cancer. Is this true?
    If yes, what should we do with fried used oil?
    Usually, we'll try to reuse that oil.

Please let me know.

7. TomAndJerry

TomAndJerry Bronze IL'ite

this potato thing is really new for me!! thanks for the tip. will try next time

8. shreepriya

shreepriya Silver IL'ite

This is the way i use oil:

Most of them are having Microwave nowadays,
    so i do frying papad and potato french fries,masala groundnut etc using very less oil.

secondly,if in case i make bajji or some other deep fried food.
    i use a small kadai with less oil,otherwise use a seasoning vessel with less oil(thaazhippu karandi)
    If oil remains,i will use that fried oil in idly podi.(i filter and use)
    add some oil in sambar or chutneys while it is boiling(not seasoning).
    Remember i use very less for seasoning rasam or sambar or any other gravies.
    But i add the reused oil while it is boiling.
    I am not heating the oil but just adding to the food.
    In this way we need not have the guilt of wasting the oil
    as well as not reheating the oil.

The most important i buy good brand cooking oil
    like virgin olive oil ,refined oil and gingelly oil.
    So i really dont feel like wasting it

And i throw the non-veg fried oil as it is toxic.

9. malaswami

malaswami Platinum IL'ite

Some times many worry about this too...

My granny used to give some valuable tips on this..

1. Use appropriate quantity of oil for the purpose which it is used
    2. Always use refined oil for deep frying and avoid Palm oil, which when burnt will make high colesterol.
    3. After frying keep the remaining oil in a separate bowl
    4. Use this oil for sauting channa dal or urad dal.
    5. This fried oil can be used for mixing with Atta for making chappati or Poori (not for frying again)
    6. This oil can be applied in the Idli Tawa before pouring idli batter in the Idli plate
    7. This fried oil can be used for Idli powder for mixing who is very lean and thin. Kids can be given this oil, which increases their colesterol level.

With the above, may be within a 4 days time, the remaining fried oil can be used and cleared.

Nandri
    Malathi Swaminathan

10. plakshmi

plakshmi Gold IL'ite

HI

I used to give to my servant maid.

lakshmi

1 person likes this.