What Do You Do With The Oil Used For Deep Frying??

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Naveena, May 3, 2007.

1. Naveena

Naveena New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I have this doubt since a long a time. Now the time has come to raise this in this wonderful forum.

How do you dispose of the oil which is used for deep frying? Can we use them again? I heard it is not good for reuse. So most of the time I have been just throwing it off. Is there any other way to make use of it?

Waiting for your responses:) .........

Veena

You may like to read:

Top 4 Simple Ideas for using Deep Fry Oil Remains

2. madhu11

madhu11 Bronze IL'ite

Hi naveena,

I have the same doubt sometimes. If it is too dark I throw it away.
    If it is still clean and looks good I used it for seasoning in curries.
    Nothing bad happened so far.

madhu

1 person likes this.
  3. arshi1611

arshi1611 New IL'ite

hi
    i reuse the oil for similar preparation as in if i've used the oil for deep frying non veg item then i use it while preparing the curry for the same item.that way it just adds on the flavour.if the oil too dark as in burnt then its better if u throw it off or sometime it becomes rancid (smells bad) then its to be thrown.:wave

4. Naveena

Naveena New IL'ite

Hi Madhu,

Me too following the same idea. Let us wait see what other seniors and experienced people have to say.

Veena.

5. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Some time back read an article about how the fast food places are reusing oil multiple times and how it was proven that this practice is hazardous to health since heating uses/breaks up the good fats (unsaturated) and leaves behind saturated fats . Since that time I use the same oil maximum 2 times for deep frying. After the 2nd use, I empty the used oil into a used yogurt container and the next time I visit the recycling center, dispose all the used oil containers there.

If we throw the used oil in kitchen sink, there is a danger of clogging up the plumbing. Also it is not an environmentally friendly way to dispose oil.

6. sunikris

sunikris Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    Yes. its not good to reuse oil for deepfrying.
    I generally use once deep fried oil for seasoning subjis & dals.

once deep fried oil should not be used again for deep frying.

:wave
    Suneeta

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Naveena,

After reading your question, I was about to post my reply and read Blondie's. Mine is ditto the same reply! She has answered you very well.
    Do not use oil to deep fry more than twice. Because of the saturation on heating, it can be hazardous to health.
    My disposal of oil is similar to Blondie's. I keep aside all the margarine and yoghurt tubs aside for this purpose. If not, I empty it into ziploc bags and use couple shopping bags to avoid spills.

L, Kamla

8. Naveena

Naveena New IL'ite

Hi Arshi6111, Blondie, Sunikris and Kamala,

Thank you all for your tips. I am not using the used oil for deep frying again. Sometimes I use it for seasoning. As many of you said, if it is dark and does not look clean, I discard it. I usually put it in a plastic cover for disposal.

Thanks again.

Veena.

9. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Prevention is better than cure!!!

Hi,

Yes, if we try to use correct quantity of oil while deep frying, there is no question of using the same oil. Is it not?

I use to fry in a small pan, and less oil but sufficient for deep frying. After frying, I use to fry papped, vathal and vadam on the same day in the same pan using same oil. So for the next week 'fried papped' is ready.

More over when you start frying javarasi / sabudhana vathal, it will suck more oil and hence the quantity of oil gets reduced. After it reduces, you can fry moor miligai ( dried chilly soaked in butter milk), and keep it for a longer time.

After doing all these, the quantity of oil will be only 2 to 3 teaspoon or so. If you want you can use this for tempering curry. Other wise you can dispose with out much strain.

Now a days all things are costly and you cannot afford to waste anything, especially oil. I think you all will agree withme.

One more thing, if you are preparing, appam and vada for any small function, and in small quantity, you can use appa karal instead of normal kadai. If you use, appa karal, no much used oil will be remaining.

But your 'vada' will be like small and round like bonda.:yes: :wink:

Last edited: May 7, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  10. Dewdrop

Dewdrop Gold IL'ite

Dear Sumathi,
    I always have probs. while deep frying / tempering also, because even with fan & AC on, here the smoke seems to not leave the rooms. My daughter ends up coughing a lot ! Your suggestion of frying in one go sounds so practical :goodidea: & would be so useful. But how to store fried vadams/ appalams without losing crispness for a week --- what kind of box do u use to store them? I've tried the regular steel 'sambadams' but guess they're not airtight, so becomes soft even after few hrs.

And how to pack fried pappadams while travelling for long drive in car , without them breaking to bits ?? I used 2 plastic covers, still they ended up as tiny pieces only :icon_frown: & we had to buy some chips pkt. from petrol bunk . If taking some fried items like vadai, bajji, pakoda etc. to a neighbours home for ' potluck' how to pack it for able to keep it crisp for say about 2 hrs. ??

With thanks,
    Dew.