1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

What do you do - intimate scene on screen?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by dblakshmi, Mar 25, 2010.

1. dblakshmi

dblakshmi Junior IL'ite

Hi

What do you when there is an intimate scene or violence on television, when kids are around.
    You cannot immediately change the channel which increases their curiosity, so what do you do? how do you handle this?
    what we do is generally start talking and change their concentration from tv to the conversation and change the channel. It is almost like every other program has something which is not right for children.
    Ladies pour in your views..

regards

Lakshmi

2. shrikala

shrikala Senior IL'ite

Hi Lakshmi,

All TV programs in US have ratings and they are displayed before the start of the program and after ad breaks. When kids are around you can avoid watching programs that have anything higher than pg (or pg13 if your kids are teens, etc) rating.

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

We dont watch TV, at all.
    But do watch a lot of musicals on DVDs. Most of it is PG 13, but then you do have passionate scenes of all sorts. Given DS is 3, we do interpret a lot of what is happening on the screen for him. Tell him what the story unfolding is. When we see the protagonists kissing, "I tell DS Mr X and Ms Y are in love and show how much they love each other by kissing and hugging. This is how grown ups show their love. "
    Parental guidance is required for very young kids no matter what is on TV/movies. I believe that a child should grow up knowing his parents love each other and do not mind showing their affection. I would like him to think that PDA is not a bad thing at all. So I dont heavily censor, only interpret things a certain way we believe in .
    We are careful about picking things that do not have nudity, any skin show in bathing suit or otherwise is explained as Mr X/ Ms Y is getting ready to have a bath.
    Violence we stop abruptly and tell DS, "angry people are hitting each other, but that is an inappropriate behaviour, let us see what happens next." He has been told what is an appropriate way of showing his anger and work out frustrations, so to me it just adds to what we are teaching DS - right now.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010