1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What do you do before you go to sleep?

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Aug 2, 2007.

1. PriyaKathiravan

PriyaKathiravan Silver IL'ite

Your closing "confession" ( true ? or just a naughty vignette to add spice to your post ?) is a validation of the inexorable power of Habit or Addiction ! If strong Guilt and Revulsion cannot restrain one, there's scant hope for gentle Good-sense to succeed in the valiant deed ! :)

What I do before retiring to bed depends on the day's demands. Sometimes there are notes to prepare of the next day's class, sometimes, a few exercise books to correct , sometimes discussing stuff with Mom.....But my most favourite activity for that time of the day is to curl up in the capacious sofa with a steaming mug of very thin Horlicks and watch an Iranian/ Turkish/Egyptian movie on WorldMovies or Lumiere TV channel . That always makes me go to sleep with a sense of wonder and awe at how widely different human experiences can be , yet, at the very basic level, how alike all our responses are. Somehow it envelops me in an expansive warmth of kinship and belonging.........wonder what "head shrinkers" will read into this ?

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Priya
    Rig Veda cries hoarse ‘Ano Bhadraaha Kritao Yantu Vishvataha’ which is also a part of my daily prayer. This in simple English would mean ‘Let noble thoughts come to me from every direction’. This prayer had a relevance at the time Rig Veda had its genesis but today, turn to any direction and what do we have? TV channels breaking news of rape, murder, corruption and what have you at an incredible speed round the clock. The ‘ashtadikpalakas’ have deserted their posts long back fearing that they too might imbibe these sinful qualities eventually! If this is the fate of the presiding deities of the eight directions, who am I, an ordinary mortal, to withstand the onslaught of forces that drove away even the Divine?

To cut the long story short, yes, I was speaking the truth and nothing but the truth. But the ‘gentle Good sense’ is like the Satyagraha of Mahatma Gandhi which dispensed with the oppressive British tactics eventually. My good sense keeps standing there all the time with a long face that I am not taking any notice of it. But eventually it will win like my wife who can pull her face to any length when she has to use it as a weapon to subdue me!

There is nothing surprising about the strong similarity in all the basic human responses. It is like the similarity in the responses of animal kingdom. Get hold of an African elephant, put a ‘Namam’ on its forehead, place an idol of Narayana on its massive back, it will also carry it around in a very subdued way! You are right. This basic nature transcends all barriers and creates a feeling of kinship that can only be experienced.
    Sri