What do the kids learn in LKG,UKG and 1st standard in schools

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by ramyanand, Jan 21, 2008.

1. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi freinds,

for some time i was also wondering what they will do in the school.thanx for all the input.

2. ShrijaSS

ShrijaSS New IL'ite

Hello Shanvy,
    I really applaud you for posting such wonderful information and sources for future reference about KG syllabus.
    Great Help.THANKS A LOT.:clap

3. SreeSri

SreeSri Gold IL'ite

Hi All,
    I am trying to find the printable RULED workbooks for my 6 years old handwriting improvement. We used to use these work books(or copy books) in India when I was a kid. Essentially the top row line would be written a sentence (or a set of words) in the lines. The kid needs to copy them in the lines below in the same fashion. Any help?
    Thanks
    SreeSri

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

they are called cursive writing work books..and they are still available in book stores

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

sreesri,

You could print and use from the net.. a sample

Cursive Writing

1 person likes this.
  6. sathyachandru

sathyachandru New IL'ite

hi ramya got any of the syllabus???

7. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

thanks shanvy, that link has really good printable materials

8. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

Shanvy, thanks super helpful

9. lightcircle

lightcircle New IL'ite

Hi Ramya

My girl toddler is now in UKG. Since LKG she has been forced to write cursive handwriting, numbers and tamil letters in line notebooks.

Please have a look at this link: Too Much Pressure for Preschool/ PlaySchool/ LKG.UKG Kids? | Chennai. The article at this link says:-

"Too Much PaperWhile it’s nice to have paper “work” to take home occasionally, young children learn best through hands-on, playful activities that involve multiple senses. If your preschooler brings home lots of worksheets, it may be a sign that there’s too much pencil-and-paper work going on at school.A worksheet on which your child has written 10 letter A’s on dotted lines might make you feel proud, but your child may well have been frustrated by writing if his fine motor skills are not ready for writing on the small lines provided. A more appropriate activity may involve children writing letters in trays of salt, shaving cream or finger paint. Although you will not see the end product, this multi-sensory activity allows your child the opportunity to practice writing without the pressure of making mistakes. This way, your child is learning how to form the letters rather than focusing on connecting the dots or making sure the letters fit inside the lines properly. For now, the important thing is to provide children with hands-on learning that’s also fun."

I agree totally with the above writer, but feel helpless as to how I can enlighten the school on this as the teachers there do not bother to listen to parents.

Very depressed and frustrated parent

Bhavani

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014