What do Indian housewife do in Dubai?

Discussion in 'IL'ites in Dubai' started by balamotwani, Sep 11, 2007.

1. balamotwani

balamotwani Bronze IL'ite

Hi Everyone,

I came to dubai only few months back. I dont know the place, no friends, no temples. I am on the net most of the time. I have a cleaner every alternative days. So less housework. The climate is hot, so dont feel like going out too. I dont watch TV. I read womes era, Masala magazines, newspaper.

Is there anything interesting that i can do?

I really wanted to go to GITEX, but i dont have a company. My hubby is not interested. I see the crazy specials in GITEX.

So what all of you do the whole day when ur kids go to school and hubby goes to office? Do you chit chat with ur friend over the phone or with neighbours......

4 people like this.

2. sugarnspice

sugarnspice Bronze IL'ite

Re: What do housewife do in Dubai?

Bala,
    When I came here 7 long years ago, I stayed home with my daughter, it was very boring, there are not many things you can do. I started working as soon a my daughter started school. If you can meet up with other ladies that do not work, it will be good especially if they are in the same naighbourhood.
    All the best with your search.

3. Kurunji

Kurunji New IL'ite

Yes Bala -- being a housewife in Dubai , that too in a quiet residential place far away from the city is filtered, pure :evil: boredom ! Everything irritates --- TV, Video etc. I was terribly upset, fed-up , utterly depressed even :bang as found no point in getting up from bed ;; only for cooking b'fast & sending family off I was getting up ; not for me !!
    Only then, when my mental/physical health became worse and my family was also getting affected by my emotions -- I got a chance to do an Art of Living course ; that I would say is the most wonderful thing :clap that could've happened to me ! It gave me a solid look at my own self & my purpose in life --- I'm so much more happier & at peace now.
    Do give it a shot ; it will certainly improve the way you lookat everything in this world.
    Best of luck.

1 person likes this.
  4. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hi Bala,
    Initially it can be terrible especially after the kind of life we lead in India... But we have to accept our fate and do the best we can to be at peace... I used to work... did for 7 plus years... but got stressed out at work and quit... Now I read... I write... of course, I give a lot of time to my home now...

I know a Mahesh Motwani in Dubai... anyone close to you?

1 person likes this.
  5. balamotwani

Which Mahesh Motwani? I know one person by that name but i have not seen him myself, i have seen in photograph he is from chennai. I dont know anyone in dubai by that name. The one you are refering to - is he a CA?

6. sujakalyan

sujakalyan Silver IL'ite

hi bala,

u can do a lot of activities yar,

1.watch tv-intv itself you have some ladies programmes like iniya illam in jayatv, dd pothigai also comes with some good informative telephone chatprogrammes-watch that,

2.if you are in burdubai-have the habit of going to temple,

3.buy khaleejtimes or gulf news-read newspaper,in khaleej times city times wil entertain you, if you buy gulf news there is one quick cross word puzzle in tabloid-that will be interesting to solve

4.keep some time for devotion-read sundara kandam, or chant some slogas, stotrams

5. no body is there at home so put the tv on and do dancing along with the song.

6.try making some variety dishes, every month begining itself plan for monthly menu so that you'll also engage yrself in shopping those food stuff.

7. grow indoor plants.

8.browse indus ladies.com, kumudam.com, dinamalar.com, dailythanthi.com, the newindpress.com(indian express epaper is available here)

9.listen to dubai radios, some rjs really do a good job, Live: Isaitamil Swasam Online Radio-
    this is suriyan fm online

10. start cooking earlier in the evening so that you can spend more time with yr hubby

11. Start taking tutuion for kids-if you are in any apartments-inform your nathur that you take tutions, he himself will introduce somebody, nathur network is a happening network

12.Chk gulf news classfieds whether any part time job is available, or for classes conducted around.

at present ive only these ideas, will come back if something more hits my mind

1 person likes this.
  7. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

I have a quiet life here compared to the hectic one which I have when I go to Chennai.I have been doing this for the past 3 years now.Intially I felt bored but now I have got used to it now.I clean,cook.Then I watch old movies on TCM.Many of friends live closeby, I do not see them everyday.At least I pick the phone to see hello.Lots books keep me come.Indus Ladies keeps me busy.On top of it all I love shopping.!!!!!!!!!!!.I have people coming for dinner or lunch.I love cooking.
    My friends are in Pradhosham,Sai group,or in AOL group. This life style is nice in its own way............

8. priyauc

priyauc Bronze IL'ite

Hi Bala,
    dubai is a fantastic place to be in.which part of dubai do u live in?? i was livivg in dubai for three years and have now relocated to abudhabi,:cry: ...sadly though!!!this place is so dead. nothing to do here. you can go to the corniche or the creek in the evenings, read, cook, get a job, do research on the net , go to the temple. the temple is located in burdubai close to the textile market. there are so many places to dine in.abudhabi is nothing compared to dubai....:yes: .keep urself busy and read books. Also you can take up a course or something.how old are u....do u have kids??

9. balamotwani

Hi Priya,

I stay in Riqqa near Al Ghurair City Mall and Reef Mall. I take my 3 yr old daughter sometimes to the play area for kids. I haven't visited the temple yet. I am still looking for job as accountant. I go for walk may be 1 hour in the morning after leaving my kid in the school van. We haven't got our driving license still, so no car yet. I was waiting for my visa to be stamped in my passport. I should go in this week for getting attestation in Indian Embassy.

waiting for the winter to set in.

10. lakshmi72

lakshmi72 Bronze IL'ite

Morning after we send husband and kids to schoool and office , we can go for walking . Leisurely take your breakfast seeing Tv . Then clean and cook. By that time it is time for the kids to come. when we go down we have a small chat with the ladies who also come to bring their children. Take up the children lessons , have a nap the cook in evening so that we can spend time with husband .Weekends it is reserved for shopping or going out anywhere.
    It is ok but a routine life with not much change in Dubai.

1 person likes this.