What do cook for my Keralite friends for dinner?

Discussion in 'Kerala' started by priyamuthu, Nov 16, 2007.

1. priyamuthu

priyamuthu Senior IL'ite

Hi friends,
    my name is Priya. i am not a keralite i am from Tamilnad. but now iam in US. i need help from u people. we have many keralites and andhra people as friends.we have invited them home. as they r away fm home for a long period of time, i would like to serve them with their own dishes. in our place if it is for lunch or dinner, we tamilians have some fixed recipes. i like to know the same from u people. what is the usual menu for lunc and dinner for guests. BTW, it would be better if it is easy to prepare with only the groceries available here in Us. expecting ur ideas ASAP.

Regards,
    Priya

2. Sujimallige

Sujimallige Bronze IL'ite

Re: Ideas for dinner

Hello priya,
    I normally cook dishes that I know well.
    what i am trying to tell u is,like when it is just us couple i like to try out new things and experiment.
    but when calling people normally stick to things which i have prepared earlier also.No first times when inviting people.Sometimes it turns out bad and everything becomes messed up with time shortage.
    These r the dishes i normally do when i call guests...bisi bele bath,pulav,vangibath,veg biryani,peas pulav,puliyogre for rice dish...
    Then phulkas with curries,sometimes dosas,idlis,basically ones which i am v confident that i can cook this easily.
    I would suggest u also to cook ur dishes which u r confident and which u feel u cook well so that cooking for guests does not become an adventure for u..
    Just my suggestion...gud luck and enjoy ur party and do let me know what all u cooked and how the party went..

3. priyamuthu

priyamuthu Senior IL'ite

Hi suji,
    Thanks for ur advice. i do understand that. but my confident of trying new dishes cameonly thru IL. Thnks to Chitvish for that. when it comes to dinner part for people in diet,my wish is to go for some light tiffin items. that is why i luk for kerala items apart fm puttu and idiyappam, the sides may change. hence the new trial. hope to do something new. anyhow really thanks again

Priya

4. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Dear Priya,

It is nice of you to think of others when you prepare food for them . That always should be the success mantra of the host.:hatsoff

For serving malayalee friends, you needn't bother much. Everything goes well with them. They are the best of adapters you can find.

We have for night tiffins, idli stew, (better than sambar) sometimes called Ishtu. It goes well with Puri also. Masala dosa & Aloo masala , Puri & kadala masala curry, Parotta or Chappathy kuruma / mixed vegetable curry,
    Tapioca and chutney/ fish curry is the favourite there.

I don't know if you are asking only vegetarian recipes. Usually malayalees take less chillies.

If you have any other doubts Let me know. I'll try to clear as much as I can. OK
    Love
    Latha