1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Diwali-Gift Can An Accountant Give You? How About A Love Scene?

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Oct 25, 2008.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

A mofussil accountant sitting in a corner in Southern India is anxious to gift something to the wonderful ladies of IL.

If only he had the means he would have sent the choicest jasmine flowers for which his quiet town is quite famous for, to all the great ladies – my daughters, GFs, mothers and sisters of IL. That being ruled out, what’s the next best?

When I wrote a moving scene in ALS, I saw many of you heaping praises on me. When a dung hill in a street corner could get that kind of praises from you, what will happen if I present the mighty Himalayas before you, Ladies? And call that as my Diwali Gift? Read on!

In ALS you saw Karthik slinging mud at Arun. Later he realises Arun’s love and starts praising him in his Award Acceptance speech.

If my writing there can be described a mere dunghill at the end of a city, there is someone whose writing about a similar scene can be equated to the Great Himalayas. Yes, I am talking of Kambar, one of the greatest poets of all times.

Let’s get into the scene. It’s a very poignant scene in Ramayana. Rama along with Lakshman and Seetha is in the forest as guests of the Hunter King Guhan. One fine morning while Rama and his people are relaxing,Guhan is guarding their resting place.

His eyes are constantly looking for possible enemies or dangerous animals. He sees dust at a distance. It looks as if a sand storm was going to envelop the forest. Guhan climbs a tall tree to have a better look.

He sees a King coming along with the army. What business does a King has in the forest? Then it strikes him. My God! That’s Rama’s brother Bharatha. Not being satisfied with the Kosala empire obtained by coercion and undue influence, he has probably come to kill Rama.

Guhan is furious. His eyes are red. When he roars even the lions in the forest tremble in fear.
    He climbs down from the tree and shouts at his Generals.

“Do they think they can cross me and reach Rama? Do they think that they can cross this river and reach my Lord? Do they think that I will be frightened by their army of elephants?

"Or do they foolishly think that seeing their might I will change sides and betray Rama? I’ll rather die as a dog than betray my Lord. Come on, Generals. Gather the army. We are going to fight to death.”

Guhan could not even bear his own anger. His Generals positioned the army strategically. If only Guhan had shouted “Fire” the army would have wrought havoc on the Kosala army.

Meanwhile Bharathan asks his minister Sumantra about the tall black man standing like a mighty elephant at the banks of Ganges. The Minister tells him that the person is Guhan.

He rules the banks of Ganges. He has innumerable boats at his service. And that he was Dasaratha’s intimate friend. And a noble man. A man to whom your brother Rama is dearer than his own life.
    Now Bharathan and his army are just a hundred feet away. Guhan’s army is raring to fight.

Guhan could see Rama’s loving brother. Guhan is simply overwhelmed by the sight. Bharathan is wearing tree-barks as only a forest dweller will do. His body is dirty.

There is enough love in Bharathan’s face to melt even the hardest rock. Guhan signals the army to stop. The bow that Guhan is holding falls down of its own.

“This man looks like my Lord. Looks like he is in mourning. Generals, please stay here and watch, while I’ll go up ahead to receive him.”

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

One of the greatest screenplay writers history has ever produced, Kambar, has now shown the first change in Guhan.

Does the Kavi Chakravarthy stop here? No. He gradually describes the change happening in Guhan’s mind.

When Guhan see’s Bharathan at close quarters, he melts completely and folds his hands with tears in his eyes. And Bharatan, our Lord’s brother, and the man whom Kamban says is fit enough to be worshipped by Brahma himself and all the Devas, that kind man, that loving soul, forgetting for a moment that he is the King of a mighty empire, falls like an uprooted tree at Guhan’s feet.

My God!

If you have tears shed them now. They are tears of love and will cleanse us of the sins accumulated over a million life times.

Guhan is now shocked. And Kambar says that Guhan lifted Bharathan with that kind of affection which only a father would have for his son.

In a choked voice amidst sobs, Guhan enquires Bharathan about the purpose of his visit. Bharathan wipes his tears. Words come from his mouth with unequalled firmness.

“My Father, Dasaratha, violated all the principles of propriety and justice, by giving the Kingdom to me and banishing Rama to the forest.

"And I have come here to make amends. I have come here to fetch my King, the King of Ayodhya, my Lord Rama.”

Guhan could not speak. And now it is Guhan’s turn to fall at Bharathan’s feet.

Kamban writes
    that Guhan locked Bharatan’s feet with his hands and being in that state tells him,

தாய் உரை கொண்டு தாதை உதவிய தரணி தன்னை
    தீவினை என்ன நீத்து சிந்தனை முகத்தில் தேக்கி

போயினை என்ற போழ்து, புகழினாய்
    தன்மை கண்டால் ஆயிரம் இராமர் நின் கேள் ஆவரோ தெரியின் அம்மா

“Hearing your mother’s words, your father gifted the entire Kingdom to you. You could have enjoyed that as your father’s gift. But, Oh Noble One, you rejected it as ill-gotten wealth and with all the grief in the world, have come here to take back your brother.

"Is there anything in the whole world which is equal to your love? Son, I now proclaim, a thousand Ramas can not be equal to you.”

Let’s tarry a little here to experience the feelings of Kambar. Lord Rama is the epic-hero. Ramayanam is an epic that’s written about him.

Kambar throws all propriety to winds and makes a side character in the epic, Guhan, to say that Rama’s brother is more than a thousand Ramas. No other author has ventured to do this in any other epic of the world.

In Valmiki’s version Rama is projected only as a man. But right from the very first verse Kambar projects Rama as God, Lord Mahavishnu. But in spite of that he now says through Guhan, that even that great Lord Mahavishnu, not one, a thousand Mahavishnus cannot be equal to one Bharathan and his love.

We are taught and we mindlessly repeat like a parrot every now and then that God is Love. Next time when we say those words, let's remember this love scene. Words will come with greater conviction.

In fact Kambar goes several steps ahead and declares to the whole world that Love is greater than God.

As we adorn ourselves with new clothes and jewellery, as we see our children and grandchildren in new dresses, as we see the fireworks going off, as we taste the sweets and savouries, as we stand before HIM to pray for the welfare of the world, let’s remember this love scene.

May the great Rama bless us with all the love that was there in the mind of Bharathan when he met Guhan.

Wish you all a very happy Deepavali of Love.

3. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

That was a lovely, priceless Diwali gift! As I sit reading it early this morning, I feel all the dirt washed off from my heart. Incidentally, last week I read an article about Bharatha in my e-mail and was astounded reading about it. I will try to interpret and write about it soon.

Wish you in return a very happy Deepawali of Love.

4. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

My Dear SriPa,

Thank you so much for such a fine gift for Diwali. I am going to respond to you in Tamil. I am simply acknowledging your wishes here. I shall come back with a detailed FB.

Wish you and family a very very happy Diwali!

Love,
    Your Dear DD.

5. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Boost,

You made me cry on this Diwali not out of sadness but out of Love. I :bowdown to you for giving us this piece. I can't say a simple word as beautiful, fabulous, fantastic etc. It would be total sacrilege to do that. This was a love filled post from you which has been received with more love from all of us. I have to use the banned T word here.... no other choice.

Thousand Jasmine flowers would not have equalled this post dear. Even if you had sent us that, the flowers would have dried the next day but this will be an eternal piece of love from you for us. How can we forget this? It will be cherished all our life.

This has come as awakener for me .... as I am also reading your book too. I have realised what ever we talk of love is not true even to the minutest fraction. Where do we stand when compared to Bharathan.....kaal doosi kku kuda pera mattom...

This was the most beautiful gift anybody could give dear. :hatsoff:whistleBow

Though I cannot write or express my wishes like yourself but please do accept my heartfelt Diwali wishes. Let you and yours be blessed always with Love dear.

My heartfelt Diwali wishes to all here !!!

6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear dear Sridhar,

That was a lovely Diwali gift.

It captured my thoughts and filled me with a blissful peace.

Our puranas are full of such noble characters. This episode of Bharatha in Ramayana is very touching. Like others here, I feel I have basked in the warm glow of love this morning.
    Many many thanks to you for this love filled lovely gift.
    BTW, I do smell jasmines around me and there is a warm glow of Deepawali deepams too..??!!

Have a Happy Deepawali.

L, Kamla

7. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Sir,

Firstly I would like to wish you a very Happy Diwali!!

This post like all your others is a treat for all of us , one that emphasises the importance of pure unadulterated love and worship.

I think this is the perfect gift for all of us. So much to reinstil our belief in love and in the importance of selfless love. These stories will always be kept alive in our hearts and mind and that infact is a gift that would be forever treasured by us.

Once again Sir wishing one of the most wonderful couple a very Happy Diwali.

Love,
    Devika Mol

8. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

என் அன்பிற்கினிய ஸ்ரீப்பா,

மிக்க நன்றி. இது போன்ற வழிகாட்டுதல்கள் தானே 'தந்தை மகளுக்கு ஆற்றும் உதவி'? இதைவிடச் சிறந்த பரிசை நாங்கள் எவரிடத்திருந்தும் பெற்றிருக்க முடியாது. பட்டாடைகள், பலகாரங்களுக்கு 'உபயோகக் கடைசி நாள்' உண்டு. இப்பரிசுக்கு ஏது கடைசி நாள்?

கண்ணில் நீர் முட்டியது. கம்பனும் வள்ளுவனும் சொற்கருமிகள், பொருட்செல்வர்கள் என்று என் தமிழாசிரியர் சொன்னது நினைவுக்கு வந்தது. நீங்கள் குறிப்பிட்ட நான்கு வரிகளில் நான்காயிரம் பக்கங்கள்!

கம்பன் வால்மீகியை வெறுமனே மொழிமாற்றம் செய்தவனல்லன். இனமாற்றம் செய்தவன், கலாச்சார மாற்றம் செய்தவன் என்றே நான் கருதுகிறேன். அந்தக் காலத்து 'அவ்வை சண்முகி' (பல லட்சம் மடங்கு பெரிய..). அதனால் தான் நாம் நெக்குருகிப் போகிறோம். அவனுடைய ஒவ்வொரு எழுத்திலும் நம் தமிழ் கலாச்சாரம் விரவி நிற்கிறது. அயோத்தியில் பிறந்தவனாக நாம் இராமனை உணர்வதில்லை. அமைந்தகரையில் பிறந்தவனாகவே உணர்கிறோம்.

கம்பன் பந்து மித்திரர்களின் பண்பை மட்டுமல்ல பகைவனின் பண்பையும் பாராட்டுகிறான். வீடணன் கும்பகர்ணனை இராமனிடம் சேர அழைக்கையில் கும்பகர்ணன் சொல்கிறான்,

"நீர்க்கோல வாழ்வை நச்சி நெடிதுநாள் வளர்த்துப் பின்னைப்
    போர்க்கோலஞ் செய்து விட்டார்க்குயிர் கொடாதெங்குப் போகேன்?
    தார்க்கோல மேனி மைந்த என் துயர் துடைப்பதாயின்
    கார்க்கோல மேனியானைக் கூடுதி கடிதின் என்றான்"

தான் அடிபட்டது காலணியால் என்று வீடணன் உணர்ந்தானா என்று தெரியவில்லை. அவ்வளவு மென்மையான, ஆழமான, அன்பான, நன்றியுள்ள அடி! " இங்கு நிற்காதே! போய் இராமனைச் சேர்!" என்பதை இதைவிடச் சிறப்பாக எவரால் சொல்ல இயலும்?

சிறந்த தந்தைகள் மந்திரம் போன்ற ஒரு சொல்லால் பல நூறு தவறுகளை உணரவைப்பார்கள். உங்களின் இந்த ஒரு பிரசுரம் செய்திருப்பதும் அதுவே. என் பல நாள் தவறை நான் சரி செய்யப் போகிறேன். என் தமிழாசிரியருக்குப் பலநாட்களுக்குப் பிறகு ஒரு கடிதம் எழுதப் போகிறேன்.

அப்பா, மிக மிக நன்றி, தங்கள் தீபாவளிப் பரிசுக்கு.

உங்கள் அன்பு மகள்,
    ஓவியா.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  9. visalamkrishnan

visalamkrishnan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    Thanks a ton for the priceless Gift .
    WISH YOU , YOUR DEAR INDU(MY SWEET) DAUGHTER PREETHI, APPA, AMMA.( A VERY VERY HAPPY,HEALTHY, WEALTHY DEEPAVALI.

Yes as lalli said i am also not able to express about this precious gift you have given us. :bowdown:bowdown:bowdown.
    Your priceless gift is smells our whole house than koodai kudai jasmine.yes all the ladies will love jasmine but once it starts drying will go to thrash. But this beautiful Kambar's definition for true love and the Guhan's
    தாய் உரை கொண்டு தாதை உதவிய தரணி தன்னை
    தீவினை என்ன நீத்து சிந்தனை முகத்தில் தேக்கி

போயினை என்ற போழ்து, புகழினாய்
    தன்மை கண்டால் ஆயிரம் இராமர் நின் கேள் ஆவரோ தெரியின் அம்மா.

will never dry in my mind.:hatsoff .You made Our deepavali So memorable by giving us this precious gift.:bowdownBow
    As you mentioned
    we stand before HIM to pray for the welfare of the world, let’s remember this love scene.
    oNCE AGAIN THANKS A ZILLION FOR THE PRICELESS GIFT.BowBow
    WITH WISHES,
    V.K.

10. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Received your Deepavali Gift in advance, Sridhar..
    You gave yours and what we are going to give you as a gift...any idea..

sure this scene of love sure to make rounds in our house for all seasons and reasons...

Happy Deepavali to you and your family...

sriniketan