1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What did you wean with?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Sumathy, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Vanathi,

My son is now 2.5 yrs old and was solely n breast milk until 6 months. I delivered in India and I was told to start semi-solid from 4th month but I returned to Germany when he completed 3 months so stuck to this school of thought. From 7th month I started giving him ground oats cooked in milk (they didn't recommend giving cow's milk as a drink until he was 1 yr old so had to introduce thro' food), cooked and mashed fruits and veges. Once they start having semi-solid foods they naturally drink less milk and then weaning was not at all difficult. I know elders back home insist that they be given cow's milk or formula from 3 months (so the baby is pushty... personally it's all rubbish). if you have enough milk there's nothing wrong in breast-feeding your baby as long as you wish. My boy was on breast milk until 13 months and as my milk quantity reduced he himself switched over. My mil didn't talk to me for many months coz I refused to give him cow's milk (just before I left India) and was shocked that he was still feeding from me when we went home for his 1st birthday. But I ignored:) So basically it's upto you to decide....

1 person likes this.
  2. shalusaini

shalusaini New IL'ite

Re: weaning suggestion pls

hi vidhu
    i had gone through the samebut forlast 1 month i m able to get rid of my 19 month old son's habit. i bought dabur chawanprash but my son didn't like its taste , so 1 day when my son wascrying for milk i applied chawanprash on my nipples and triedto feed my son. but when he tasted it he spitted n said mama chi chi .after that whenever he asked for the fed i repeat it .he used to cry alot that he is not able to drink it. but i stick to this game. he cried very badly but i made it a point to apply it always. now i fed him only once in night. now he never ask for it during day. i fed him at night b'coz i feel that he might be hungry.
    you can also try this with something whose taste is not good and not good looking. but remember that ur child is not able to know what u r appling . read him stories when he is about to sleep. i hope this can help u .
    shalu

3. mouli_7

mouli_7 New IL'ite

Re: weaning suggestion pls

Hi vidhukumar,
    My son is also 1 yr old, n I am also having same problem, u're going through. My husband tried to stop this habit by sleeping next to him, but we failed, as he cried n cried till morning n used to be very cranky in morning, b'coz of sleepless nights n stopped eating in the daytime. n become more clingy to me, so we decided to give up for a while, one of my tried n she's smileing with success:queen, It's worth trying u know, u can ask u're husband r any other family memeber to takecare of baby in the nights, they say it takes abt a week r two not more than tht,It depends how strong u're, babies can be very manipulative, they make us do wht they want to be:hatsoff.
    Here's is a link, which I tried to make my son sleep through the night, i hope this might help u!
    cheers
    shwetha
    Sleep Training