1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What did you wean with?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Sumathy, Aug 2, 2007.

1. dsrini

dsrini Bronze IL'ite

Same Same

Mine is just 6 months but still I am also going thru' the same stuff all day especially at night. When hungry I feed her but most of the times she wants to just hang in there to go to sleep even after she is full with cereal, doesn't take formula or pumped milk. I feeling very tired.

Please some suggestion.

Thanks in advance
    -Dhivya

2. pallavisurapaneni

pallavisurapaneni New IL'ite

Re: weaning suggestion pls

even i h ave the same problem my baby is 8 months old...he wants to nurse especially in the night times....it is not a metter of hungry but i think its more comfort thing..don't know what to do..

3. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Hi Girlies,
    If you can acess vepennai, that is neem oil the baby will give up at once.Apply on nipples when the kid asks to be nursedit has a very bitter taste and so the reaction.My almost three year old younger daughter was thus weaned at one and a half years by this method. Hope this helps, Good luck.

4. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Hi,

What helped me was this : make the baby sleep away from you - preferably you sleep in another room and let the baby sleep with your husband. Do this for a couple of days. Whenever the baby cries, dont go there and let your husband comfort the baby - after a few tries, the baby will accept the fact that mother is not around and will settle down.

When you dont want to nurse and when there is no one around to hold the baby, never take the baby to the usual place where you nurse. Divert and play till somebody else can take over - takes about a week or so to kick the habit completely. All the best,

But there is one issue - Unless the whole family, mainly you and your husband are strict about this (you not entering and he should comfort the baby without letting the baby cry too much), this will not work out.

Cheers,

Sumathy

5. Neesha

Neesha Senior IL'ite

Hi All

Why not use a dummy! (think its called a pacifier in some countries). If its just comfort - its better than babies getting into the habit of sucking the thumb.
    But why the hurry to wean. Breastmilk is still the best - tinned milk doesn't have the antibodies etc that breast milk has. Its said that when a baby is sick the mother's body makes antibodies for the childs sickness!! and this is given through the breast milk.
    My son was 7 weeks premature weighing only 1.8kg and then dropping to 1.6kg in hospital. The paedritrician insisted he be only breastfed because of the the benefits of breastmilk and baby's digestive system being immature. So while he was in hospital I had to even pump milk and leave for him. When we brought him home I used to end up feeding him for an hour - well he'd doze off in between. We were so concerned about him putting on weight that I put up with it however when I asked the doctor he said baby was using me as a "dummy". 8 minutes on each breast and stop. Only after 2 hrs (maybe 2 -3) should you feed again. Baby will empty each breast in that time or drink as much as he needs. When he was abt 18 mths he stopped. For the 1st 3 yrs he hardly had any colds, flus or sicknesses yet he was born in winter and premature.
    Don't stress too much esp if you are at home cos 18 mths or 2 yrs is NOT such a big chunk from our lifetime, hopefully! to sacrifice for your child' health.

Regards Neesha

6. dsrini

dsrini Bronze IL'ite

Neesha
    your reply is good.

I am just going to wait until my daughter outgrows this habit(feeding for sleeping), only problem is that she spits up a lot especially when she does this but have its getting little bit better.

Thanks everyone for ur reply.

-DSrini

7. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

As I've mentioned before my son is 3 mnths old and I was thinking about starting semisolids after he completes 4 mnths and I need some input from you all. What did you start weaning with and how did you proceed? Any practical tips? (I hope I'm not repeating what has been discussed earlier - I did look at the older threads and found nothing in the recent past.). I just thought this would be a good discussion subject.

Vanathi.

8. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

hi adhusmom,
    i think its best to exclusively breastfeed for 6 months before you start semi solids....thats what doctors advised me here.due to preassure from relatives from india.....i finally started around 4 1/2-5 months....but my baby's doc keapt insisting on breast milk so i just used to give him little bit for the sake of it...but strted off solids seriously only by 6 months.here i started with gerber rice cerial but there must be something similar in india which you can start....i had posted similar query when my baby was 4 1/2 months,you can read the replys which will give you an idea.all the best!
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/baby-kids-foods/5345-starting-solids-4-1-2-a.html

9. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Thanks Vidhu. I looked up the thread and yes it was very useful. I know the American recomendation is to wait until 6 mnths, but our Indian advice is usually 4 to 6 mnths. My baby is a big guy - 7 kgs already - and that is why I plan to start early. Also I dont like commercial baby food and intend to make my own. How old is your baby now - around 1 year? Started walking? Thanks again.

Vanathi

10. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

hi vanathi,
    sorry for the delay in replying.i saw ur post just now as i dont get much time to browse thru all the sections everyday.yes my son in 1yr and oh yes!he is walking or i shud say Running!!!!he keeps me on my toes from the time he wakes up till he goes to bed again!!yes you can start with wholesome ragi kanji or sathu maavu or something like that....yes its always better to avoid commercial foods if possible...enjoy ur parenthood!!!u'v got lots of exciting times ahead!!keep me posted when possible!!
    vidhya.