1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Colour Is It?the Incredibly Small Organ 'eye'.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, May 7, 2022.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

In nature there are three primary colors: red, yellow and blue.
    They cannot be formed by mixing any other colors.
    These colors come from Earth itself. You can mix these
    together or mix them with black and white to get almost
    all of the beautiful colors that we have today.
    It is not that the colors themselves have meaning, it is that we have culturally assigned meanings to them. For example, red means warmth because of the color of fire. Likewise, it means anger because of the increased redness of the face when it flushes with blood. Purple symbolizes royalty only because the only purple dye that was available for many centuries .

Biologist Timothy H. Goldsmith explained that, “color is not actually a property of light or of objects that reflect light. It is a sensation that arises within the brain.”
    And those sensations can be incredibly powerful. Colors can change our mood, impact our memory, and even increase or decrease our heart rate.

• : Colors carry different significance in different countries or regions. In America, the color predominantly associated with mourning or grief is black. But in China white is more commonly associated with mourning and often worn at funerals by family of the deceased.
      Religious affiliation: Depending on which religion you practice, you may interpret purple as a symbol of suffering, royalty, or intuition, among other things.
    • Red is typically associated with a sense of urgency. It represents danger and forces us to become more alert, more active.
    Cool colors such as blue, purple, and green provide a sense of calmness.
    What is color, first of all? The color of any substance is not because of what it is, it is what it rejects or what it gives away or reflects. Something looks red not because it is red, but because it holds back everything that white light contains and reflects red. So red does not mean it is red. Red means it is not red! Whatever you give away, that will be your quality in the world also.

Blue is the color of all-inclusiveness. Anything which
    is larger than your perception tends to be blue
    because blue is the basis of all -inclusiveness. It is based on
    this that so many gods in India are shown as blue-skinned.
    Krishna has a blue skin.
    Rama has a blue skin. It is not that their skin was blue.
    They were referred to as blue gods because they had a blue aura.

The Meaning Of The Color Orange
    Why people who walk the spiritual path choose orange as their color, at least in this country, is because orange suggests so many things. When a person is moving towards Agna, it can be very visibly noticed that the color of Agna is orange.
    In the Bible, the Hebrew word for red is Oudem. Its actual meaning is “red clay”. Many biblical names (Adam, Esau and Edom) are derived from this Hebrew word which means flesh. Thus, it is the root word for mankind as stated in the Bible.
    The second primary color is yellow. Yellow is associated with fire, which in turn, has always been associated with the purification process.
    Blue is the third primary color. It spiritually signifies the Healing Power of God.

Green is obtained by mixing yellow (trials) with blue (Word of God). Therefore, the biblical meaning of the color green is immortality.
    Orange is obtained by mixing red (flesh) and yellow (trials). The result is a color of fire which represents the Fire of God, deliverance and passionate praise.
    Purple is obtained by mixing red (flesh) and blue (Word of God). The resultant color meaning in the Bible is royalty or priesthood.
    Science behind colours:-
    The phenomenon of Rainbow appears in the

sky on sunny days when it rains. Falling drops of water act as a prism and split white light into its components, i.e. colours.
    Each of the seven colours corresponds to a specific wavelength range.
    Electromagnetic wave with the longest wavelength (635-770 nm) is red,
    while the shortest one (380-450 nm) is responsible for seeing purple.
    Let us consider why we see colourful objects.Colour vision results directly from the sensitivity of the respective receptors in the eye to the light wavelength.
    To find out why we see electromagnetic wave as colour, we need to look at the structure of the eye. The sight organ is equipped with photosensitive receptors, i.e. rod cells and cones.
    Photosensitive cells are located in the back of the eyeball called retina.
    Rod cells are responsible for perceiving shape and movement.
    They are so sensitive that they can catch even a single photon. Cones, on the other hand, are responsible for seeing colours.
    There are three types of cones in the human eye, which react to different wavelengths, and, consequently, allow one to see red, blue and green
    colours. If the receptors register intermediate wavelengths, all three groups of cones react to the stimulus, creating an impression of an intermediate colour in the brain made up of three basic colours.
    Visible light is nothing more than electromagnetic waves in the 380-780 nm range. Light falling on an object is partly absorbed and partly reflected by it. Then, the electromagnetic wave reflected from the object is directed to the receptors
    in the eye, i.e. cones and rod cells in the retina, where a reduced and inverted image is created. In the next stage, the receptors transmit an impulse to the brain, in which the data is interpreted, and on its basis an image of the object is produced. Everything happens extremely quickly, which you can see by looking around.
    The colours that we see are immediately registered and processed, creating an image. The incredible sight organ, the eye, distinguishes an enormous number of colours. According to literature, there are several million of them. It is worth noting that colour is not a feature of light, but only an impression produced by an electromagnetic wave of a certain length in the brain.
    When we talk so much of colours we should know something
    about colour blindness also.
    Red-green color blindness
    The most common type of color blindness makes it hard to tell the difference between red and green.

For some patients ,green looks more as red.

• For others red looks like green
    • Certain others may not differentiate between blue and yellow.
    But this defect does not interfere in normal activities.
    If you have complete color blindness, you can't see colors at all. This is also called monochromacy, and it's quite uncommon.
    With all these things,one passes out with FLYING COLOURS.
    Jayasala 42

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks madam. An informative and educative post.

It reminded me of my college studies in physics. Under major physics, light was one of five papers. In quarterly exam, I secured 4 out of 50. The professor who taught this subject distributed the answer papers of all except mine and then announced, “T is the only person in the class wrote maximum number of pages and secured least marks. God bless him”.

But later, I discovered that “LIGHT” was my favourite of five papers. I remember the prism dispersion - total internal reflection - etc., and then the nemonic VIBGYOR & wavelength of each colour then. Violet and blue mixed in equal proportion results in I - indigo and blue and yellow mixed would produce G - green and yellow and red in the same manner results in O - orange. The rule changes when pigments of different colours are mixed.

Speaking of colours, one remembers in English language, we have wonderful idioms that corresponds to human emotions. Red is associated with rage or anger, fear is blue, robust health to pink and so on. It reminds of super-star film - a popular song - karuppu than enakku pudiccha kalaru - koil sami kooda karuppu ethan...(கருப்புத்தான் எனக்கு புடிச்ச கலறு கோயில் ஸாமி கூட கருப்புதான்...)

A study of colourful ten idioms available in link

10 Common Colorful Idioms – Voxy

GOD - The Great Dsigner - creates after rains in Space a rare double rainbow opposite sun.

Last edited: May 7, 2022