What can You Make in 10 Minutes from Your Kitchen Right Now for Kids?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by hrastro, Dec 12, 2012.

1. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Thanx Sripriya123,

It is not about an 8 year old, it is about what you have in pantry or keep ready in fridge so that you can feed unexpected hungry guests in 10 minutes :)

This in turn generates ideas for us all (depending on our tastes and behavior and guest frequency) as to how to manage our kitchen/cooking so that we're "Ever Ready"!!!

I liked your mint onion tomato sandwich - do you keep mint chutney ready or use fresh mint leaves?

2. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Well said..,, That is very true sai dear ...

I don't have an 8 year old. But because of this wonderful thread, I got so many ideas for quick snacks.

Op, :hatsoff for the nomination and thanks for starting this thread.... Deserves to be a Sticky one too. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Moderator / s

4. ilovesai

ilovesai Silver IL'ite

Some more to add.. I don't keep more of frozen stuff (like french fries or samossas or ice cream), because I end up eating it along with my kids.. So, no room for frozen stuff or high calorie stuff at home..

But other items that I have in my fridge (for me to eat, when I don't have time to cook)

Brocolli and Baby Carrots (this i buy every week with my groceries)
    (I pour olive oil and stir fry brocolli and baby carrots (sprinkle water to allow it to boil), then add salt pepper and 1 Cheese slice (at last), it tastes yum and crisp), very filling too

Channa (I keep the soaked channa in the fridge all the time (I soak the entire packet once, dry it and keep it in fridge handy), when I don't have any veggie at home, I simply pressure cook it, make a salad for myself or make a side dish for roti.

Black Eyed Peas (I simply pressure cook the black eyed peas, then add raw onion , tomato, lemon juice, salt , pepper (mango pieces - optional) , 1 tbspn of yogurt and eat it as a main dish for lunch, if i don't have anything to eat)

Hummus

Salsa (shop every week)

Kraft Cheese slices

Mushrooms (a quick mushroom soup, by sauting mushrooms in olive oil, then add one glass of milk, 1 tblspn wheat flour, salt and pepper), its very filling meal by itself.

A paste of Avocadoes, Tomato (squeezed), (onion - optional), salt, pepper, lemon juice, I make this once in 3 days and keep it in the fridge.. I add this paste to the bread and have it for lunch.

Oats Banana Smoothie (I add 1 glass of boiled oats, 2 tablespoon of yogurt, 1 banana, half glass of milk, honey or sugar, beat it in the blender) and have it for lunch especially when I am fasting on Thursdays.

Cream Cheese (Strawberry, Almond and Honey) - Only for Kids, with Bread

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  5. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi ALL,
    thanks for wonderfull suggestions............with 2 under 8 yrs boys quickness is the key in making anything............
    my favourites are
    Act 2 popcorns,cold shakes or fruits.......when the kids come back from playing & are very hungry that is the time I serve fruits & raw vegetables ............it gets finished.

2 people like this.
  6. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

Great thread. In 10 minutes, I will just about search for the recipe,look for ingredients and chop them. You ladies are so quick.Very useful ...thanks for sharing.

2 people like this.
  7. supreep

supreep Gold IL'ite

My list is as follows::

1) Gits Khamam dhokla (9 min) - 3 min to make batter + 4 min to steam in microwave + 2 min to make tadka
    2) Cheese sandwich - 5 min
    3) Bread upma - 10 min
    4) Sooji cheela - mix rava + water + curd + green chillies and make it like set dosa. It will be slightly thinner
    than set dosa. Enjoy with tomato sauce
    5) Besan cheela - 7-8 min
    6) Bread omlette - 10 min max
    7) Maggi - 5 min
    8) paratha stuffed with jaggery
    9) paratha stuffed with salt and red chilli powder + curd
    10) bread butter cucumber tomato sandwich
    11) poha
    12) Chivda - roast peanuts in microwave for 1 min. In the meantime heat a nonstick wok. Add 1 tsp of oil and add jeera mustard gren chilli and curry leaves. Then add poha. Mix roasted peanuts in it and have this.
    13) Bread pakoda with tomato sauce

5 people like this.
  8. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Thanx ilovesai, pragati and supreep!!!

I'm really enjoying learning so many things that can be done in 10 minutes :)

Yeah, rose8282, I never got into cooking till I had a kid (and my FIL fell sick) - before that I would cook only for guests... not everyday :)

With a small kid and elders at home it always pays to be prepared :)

9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Hrastro very useful thread for everyone. Congratulations for winning the award for Finest contribution. hope you kknow about it

1 person likes this.
  10. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

No I had absolutely no idea, didnt even expect this !!! Thanx for informing me Vijima !!!
    Wow!!! I just saw that my post was recommended the most too !!! And this is finest contribution !! Wow !!
    :cool2: :banana

Thanx again everyone :)

3 people like this.