1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Are Your Expectations In Marriage? Is It Wrong To Have Expectations?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Sweety2019, Sep 24, 2019.

1. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

In initial stages I wanted lot of love,attention and priority from him

but as time passes and love becomes deeper, slowly expectations dissolve and all I want to do now is give unconditional love . Á deep desire to give him happiness and PEACE OF MIND, sometimes make me to keep quiet /sacrifice/compromise in certain situations eg. inlaws-troubles, financial matters. Now I dont want #1 priority in his life , although initially it was highly important to me - now I just want him to have a happy/joyful life, more deeper relationships with others even at the cost of our family time/bonding/expenses . Im not so mature yet and possessiveness /expectations etc do exist and disagreements and fights will happen many times because I dont know how to convey , but mostly I feel unconditional love towards my husband.

There is nothing wrong in having expectations, we all love to feel loved/cherished/prioritized and that is important in the beginning to lay foundation of strong relation.But it is also important to be self sufficient and happy in our own so we can give to others freely.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    yesican and Sweety2019 like this.
  2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:This survey seemed to collect in one go to gather and analyse what ultimately decides happiness quotient and sublime satisfaction.
    2. OP too I wish to record her answers to her own survey queries.
    3. I would revisit the thread after formulating my reply.
    4. I presume this post is addressed more to women folks of IL. But is it ok if I post my response too.
    Thanks and regards
    It is said if wishes are horses, everyone can ride.
    God - Man proposes and You dispose!

3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

If you are expecting someone to invite you with "it is OK, and you can post", don't hold your breath. However, let me help:
    You are hereby asked to list the expectations of your wife (ask her if you cannot remember what they were) and describe how you had failed in each of those expectations.

That almost sounded like an "essay question" in one of those old Indian Exams that I had been told about.:facepalm:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    Sweety2019 and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

LOL.
    GOD BLESS ME,

yesican, Sweety2019 and Amulet like this.
  5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

HELP and not BLESS.
    It is a take-home exam question.
    Take your time, use that life-line to wife, and write an essay in your own time.
    No word limits at all.
    Finding failures is the first step to getting remedies.
    Good luck.

Sweety2019 likes this.
  6. Agathinai

Agathinai Gold IL'ite

Initially maybe less expectations but later after marriage is more. Almost all expectations were basic but still I wouldn’t have married without any of those in mind. I don’t think in my view marriage is without expectations. They may vary for different couples.

I am not a person who can give unconditional love; I have expectations and expect it’s reciprocated towards me. It’s not going to be one way alone. So yes, marital relationship comes with expectations.

7. PurpleRoses

PurpleRoses Finest Post Winner

I have same views as above member said.

And I do not think any marriage cN even happen without any expectations.

Though in my case, I'm very bitter still even now as most of my expectations are unmet.

Hence no unconditionally loving my dh. I just made peace with my marriage that this is how it is. Like it or not I cannot escape it.

8. holyanderson

holyanderson New IL'ite

It is good to have expectations of marriage. Without expectations, you cannot stay happy for long life. For a Healthy Relation or Happy Matrimony or Happy married life, both individuals have such kind of expectations which add pop up to your life

Thyagarajan and Sweety2019 like this.
  9. Sweety2019

Sweety2019 Silver IL'ite

:hello: Sir I have not posted anything as to wife or husband it is just spouse to understand the dynamics.
    And yes a male perspective will help many of us females.. they say men and women are wired different. So may we please know what has been your own expectations for your marriage.?

Thank you

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Sweety2019

Sweety2019 Silver IL'ite

Answer to my own question as requested
    Respect for each other, love, affection, support(stand up for me when I cant), priority, time, appreciation, acknowledgement, understanding.
    And sometimes somethings flimy.
    Respect, love, affection, support, a listening ear,time, appreciation, priority, understanding..well that is what I think his expectations are
    Well yes conveyed mine mostly during arguments or anger..and sometimes when sad..which is a mistake I know that..but can't help it because in my head these are somethings that are supposed to be given without asking for..because it doesn't seem genuine when done after asking for it..
    Not going to lie.. I don't know the answer to this..

Thyagarajan and Agathinai like this.