1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Nandshyam, Mar 28, 2008.

1. gorgeous23

gorgeous23 Silver IL'ite

i agree, reading in english is all the rage, everybody wants to read the bestsellers and classics( predominantly english) and discuss them only, you hardly find people reading in local language.
    as for my encounter with hindi, it started with Premchand and i started by reading his many famous stories with some pretty depressing stuff and brutal truths of life in his stories, that was when i was very young and at an impressionable age, and somehow i ended up avoiding hindi altogether. i still havnt mustered the courage to pick up his stories again, but thankfully, there are other hindi books out there.

Vaikuntha and Thyagarajan like this.
  2. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

This is true @gorgeous23
    Even my mother discouraged me from reading premchand, saying that his stories like are about death, poverty, scarcity etc. I hope they had written some lighter stuff.
    I still hope, I had read them, back then.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Graphology - handwriting analysis

Gauri03 likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:
    I happen to browse few passages in a book that deliberates the intricacies and nuances of democracy changing its complexion and how few nations are taking fundamentalist route.

2. A Turkish journalist Temelkuran describes how by seven acts read steps sapthapadi (saath-pheras) a nation would be lost. Her book read in the context of sequence of Happenings in Hungary, Brazil, the United States & Turkey & very recently in UK is quite convincing.

3. The title of the book :

How to lose a country.

Gauri03 and KashmirFlower like this.
  5. DavenaRosalie

DavenaRosalie Silver IL'ite

Just getting tips here for my next book to read :)

KashmirFlower likes this.
  6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Say Nothing by Patrick Radden Keefe

21bookkeefe1-articleLarge.jpg

Back in middle school, a memorable peculiarity of our morning assemblies were collective prayers for peace… in Ireland. I didn't dwell on the obligatory supplications, chalking them up to yet another odd requirement of our nuns—sisters of an Irish Catholic order. For me, a girl growing up in pre-Internet India, Belfast and Derry were mere words on the occasional segment about the IRA* on Prannoy Roy's "The World This Week"; my understanding of the conflict never growing deeper than the broad Catholics versus Protestants outline, until now. Say Nothing is a meticulously researched chronicle of the hostilities between the Irish republicans and British loyalists in Northern Ireland from the 1960s until the Good Friday Agreement in 1998—a period known as 'The Troubles'. As the genre suggests, the book is brimming with names and dates of the events and key players from the troubles, many of whom, I was surprised to discover, are still alive and active on the Irish political landscape. Despite being historical nonfiction the book avoids the customary dryness of the genre; the narrative has the pace and twists of a murder mystery. Historical events are deftly woven into the 1972 disappearance and death of Jean McConville, a young mother of 10 children at the hands of the IRA. The shocking ending is a testament to the thoroughness of the author's original research. I found the book informative, engrossing and moving. Highly recommended to anyone looking for an insider's understanding of one the most significant conflicts of the 20th century. All these decades later I finally understand who and what I was praying for and I am thankful that I did.

*Irish Republican Army

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  7. Vanani

Vanani Senior IL'ite

The Autobiography of an Indian Princess by Sunity Devee.

8. PosyEaton

PosyEaton New IL'ite

I just can't find an interesting book for myself. Can you advise?

9. Vanani

Vanani Senior IL'ite

Facing Codependence by Pia Mellody is a very good book. Gives a lot of insight into parenting, upbringing, care giver influences etc. Recommend for all to understand our background as well as to those who are parents and caregivers now raising children.

10. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

I am currently reading 7 and half deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, its a thriller and my fav genre.